Sharda UgraRSS FeedFeeds

The retirement announcement

A titanic goodbye

Sharda Ugra

October 11, 2013

It is well past midnight. It has been more than ten hours since Sachin Tendulkar announced his intention to retire following his 200th Test next month. ESPNcricinfo has gone into what can only be called its tsunami mode. Its forces have gathered, scattered out emails, made dozens of phone calls, scoured through the archive, and presented you, the beloved reader, with a Himalayan range of words, pictures and numbers to mull over. Every arm of social media has been shaken. We've been through more than 90 minutes of talk about Tendulkar for our video features and material is still coming in.

Sachin Tendulkar takes a break at India's practice session, Hyderabad, August 22, 2012
Tendulkar's long-standing method to attack a problem: more practice, more hits, more nets, more training © AFP

Along with other cricketers, writers and cricketer-writers, ESPNcricinfo staff - a clear-eyed, hard-nosed, pragmatic bunch - have sent in accounts of their favourite Tendulkar memory. It is these accounts from my colleagues that I have found most revealing and reflective of the day we're having. Those reflections have come from a place we must necessarily turn away from whenever on professional duty. Today, though, it was as if the news of Tendulkar has set us free - in heart, mind, and memory.

In the time Tendulkar has played for India, we've all grown up, grown old, but never grown apart from cricket. Maybe it was him, maybe it was his time. Maybe we're just a bunch of sentimental fogeys between the ages of 20 and infinity. Throughout his career, Tendulkar has kept reaffirming the faith and belief that no matter what, there was much in cricket that could be uplifting, exceptional, clean.

News of his impending retirement was not unexpected - over the last 18 months much has unravelled around Tendulkar at a somewhat dismaying speed. In the context of an unrelenting 24-year career, however, what is remarkable is that the tailspin did not take place earlier.

To many, our 40s are when we finally secure our place in the world and find the discipline needed to keep middle-aged maladies at bay. To cricketers it is the time the mind becomes quicksilver sharp to the game's demands, but the body falls half a step behind. For driven, competitive creatures like Tendulkar, who are seekers and finders of sustained excellence, accepting the march of time must be tougher than we can imagine.

As Tendulkar's batting has dipped and his struggles have mounted, we have wrung our hands in misery and helplessness. Our worries have been about "legacy" and "timing" and "appropriateness", our anxiety centred around the notion of a Tendulkar "legend".

We've probably got it all wrong. To Tendulkar, perhaps the legend or the idea of legacy does not exist. All that existed was a fresh set of difficulties, to which he responded with the only method he had ever practised: by looking for yet another new route to adapt to a rapidly changing inner dynamic. He flung himself at the problem, like he always had with other problems - more practice, more hits, more nets, more training. It was his way of rattling the gates of the cricketing gods, and it had always worked.

When the announcement came, the first response was a tumult, a cascade. Tendulkar had made up his mind, he had bitten the bullet. It was done, and maybe like us he feels free too. Now it means we, like thousands of others, don't have to worry about him and for him anymore.

Then his career flashed past in the mind's eye and all of us found ourselves in it. It contained the past 24 years of our own lives, tagged on somewhere as we watched, applauded, cursed, celebrated, whirling around in suspense, joy, mortification, gratitude. As this was on, India played Australia in a T20 international in Rajkot, an old titan signalling the moment to say goodbye, as a new game moved on at its own clip.

In ESPNcricinfo's offices, we've kept working with the left brain and right brain tussling throughout. Following this news, there is one last issue to be resolved but it's not one you need to deal with right now. There's at least a month left to go before we must work out what to fill into the Tendulkar-sized hole that will be left in our game.

Sharda Ugra is senior editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sharda Ugra

Posted by CriciSach on (October 14, 2013, 7:26 GMT)

The Sachin effect lingers,even when the Master is not ard. Such is the effect of Sachin. If this the effect in ODIs, how will tests even survive? Try hard as I might, I, like billions of Indians can't wean myself away from the Sachin effect.I suddenly realize that I am one of those unpatriotic Indians who couldn't care if India wins or loses,coz Sachin will play no part in those matches.But I revel in the knowledge that there are billions like me.For 24 yrs I tht Sachin and India were synonymous on the cricket field.Thought it was India's victory combined with Sachin's batting that got me going.But today I realize,tht the victory was just a by product.It was Ind's victory becoz of Sachin batting that got me going.Take Sachin out and the victory is tasteless.I guess like billions of Indians,I had always spelt INDIA as "SACHIN".so now when i see INDIA spelt as INDIA,I am struggling to read it.

Posted by CriciSach on (October 14, 2013, 7:04 GMT)

The Legend bows out from ODI.I tell myself that Cricket,henceforth,wld be a mere game, not the all consuming passion it once was."But Cricket doesn't stop if Sachin goes",says my 10 yr old & I hope he is right.I continue watching ODIs,more so as a habit.Ind Pak 1st ODI,Ind 5/29,Dhoni doing a Sachin,saves Ind the blushes,I'm relieved,but feel no pride or passion.India win the Champions Trophy,I'm happy,but not jumping for joy.Something's lost forever,but I can't get it.IndAus1st ODI.I tell myself that I want the passion back.I want to connect to a player,so whn Kohli walks in,I want myself to want him to do well.Master of big chases-Kohli's role is crucial,so I feign happiness whn he reaches his 50.But I am hardly perturbed whn he gets out!damn,the whole thing is not working.It cldn't as much as touch the emotional chords leave alone stir it.Dhoni goes,India loses,but I feel like its just another day at work. I am unruffled.Like billions of others,I experience the Sachin effect Contd

Posted by jay57870 on (October 14, 2013, 1:53 GMT)

The Little Master calls it a day! The only life he's known since he was an 11-year old: Cricket! He completes the journey of his dreams in a way only he can: MY WAY!!

And now, the end is here / And so I face the final curtain / My friend, I'll say it clear / I'll state my case, of which I'm certain / I've lived a life that's full / I traveled each and every highway / And more, much more than this, I did it my way!

Regrets, I've had a few / But then again, too few to mention / I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption / I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway / And more, much more than this, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got? / If not himself, then he has naught / To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels / The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!

Yes, it was my way!

(Courtesy: Frank Sinatra's immortal anthemic song "MY WAY" - select verses)

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 18:44 GMT)

well!there are only 2 things certain abt life....one is death..the other is sachin giving u a smile...everytime i watched him play...there was sumthing which made me forget all sorrows...tentions..priorities...a 180 degree straight drive..a fierce square cut...i mean...everything abt him was so so diffrent...tendulkar makes u positive abt life...i remember going to my neighbours house to watch sachin bat...and as if sachin knew...he never dissapointed me...for all these years...he cud do somthing which noone else cud ever do....i watchd him first when i was 6 in 1994..he cud hit the best ball to the boundary...the 98 versus pak in centurion...it was like a national uprising which he calmed..sachin can do anything....he made my cry many times too...bt gave me duble the laughs soon.....i fear this time..this goodbye....is nt gonna bring ane joy....cricket now is nothing for me...ive missed exams to watch him bat..bt i dnt regret.....i juss wish human life span was 25 years..baring sachin

Posted by JatinGoel on (October 12, 2013, 18:35 GMT)

Well, another of MY Tendulkar moment, again from a Hostel Commonroom

It was 1998 and i was in 10+2. It was a India-Pak match, a tournament final at that (Independence Cup). On hand was a chase of 315, which had never been chased b4.

SRT, opening, started hitting Pak pacers all over the park. Nowhere to go, Pak summoned Saqlain-having a reputation to get SRT, so as to create pressure.

A friend sitting besides me feared that SRT will now be cautious and slow down. Tacticaly he had a point, but I said my gut feeling says that SRT will hit him first ball for a 6. SRT obliged, got out of the crease first ball, and hit Saqlain for a 6.The commonroom erupted and my friend hugged me

That was SRT in his prime - destroying opposition bowlers and captains in the mind and instilling belief in teammates and fans that every match can be won. That a humble Kanitkar hit the feared Saqlain for a 4 off the penultimate ball to seal the victory, was no coincidence.

Thanks for making us believe, SRT

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 14:01 GMT)

No words to express the emotion, this moment had to come. They say all good things come to an end.There`s a beginning and end to everything good and bad, just like life. I regret the good things coming to an end, because they are enjoyable.The joy that I felt when you scored big, the despair I felt when you were dismissed cheaply. Now I don't have to worry about your scores. Certainly for me, cricket will never be the same without SRT. For me, SRT was the cricket. I remember Great Andy Flower's quote "There are Two kind of batsmen in the world. One Sachin Tendulkar. Two all the others" now there will be only one kind of batsman.Thank you Sachin for providing all the happiness in the last 24 years. Thank YOU!

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 12:42 GMT)

Sachin is surely a undisputed champion, legend and to most of the cricket fans, he is the ultimate "GOD". But , with age definitely not on his side, I guess it is the time for him to retire and give the indian team a chance to find a new sachin among our young cricketers. And yes, we should believe this-EVEN GOD HAS RETIREMENT.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 10:23 GMT)

Sachin may be the god , but rahul dravid is god of gods ...a big thumbs up ?? fr the ultimate legend RAHUL DRAVID

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 9:25 GMT)

Well my best Tendulkar moment came in 5th semester of my engineering life. I was down and out with Chicken Pox for two days and had suffered maximum a day before. Also my 4th sem result was expected anytime in the night, and I hadn't done very well in last exams.Nobody was in Hostel except a friend, as Holi Holidays were on.In short I was in complete mess. In came the result in the result in the morning. I passed with Flying colors. And Tendulkar like he was celebrating his fan's victory went berserk upon New Zealand bowlers. He was hitting like never before, and I enjoyed every moment of it from my room in my bed which was adjacent to the common room. He made 163, 200 was all in vicinity, but he had go out retired hurt due to cramps. My pain was all gone, from that very moment I had started feeling better and the chicken pox went away in a day or two. Sachin's magic has once again worked upon me.That very day I also got an initution that he can Make 200 and he did it very next year.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 9:01 GMT)

@Biggus - Sachin Tendulkar was the *only* modern-day cricketer in Bradman's dream team. The team didn't even have the likes of Sir Viv Richards, Shane Warne and Imran Khan. That shows the admiration he had for Tendulkar. And remember, Tendulkar was only a 28 year old back then!

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 8:24 GMT)

When I read this news was in Office busy in some important work... but opened the cricinfo tab for Ban vs NZ test scorecard thanks to the guy who commented this.... What??? Sachin??? Retirement??? Suddenly eyes went moist.... First thing I remembered then was Ind vs SL 96 wc SF.... Sachin Out just close the TV... Pitch was playing right till he was there... suddenly everyone got amazed... many more moments came to mind... One thing for sure in any world XI he will be at #4....

Posted by RPShivkumar on (October 12, 2013, 8:03 GMT)

I have been following sachin since his 1989 debut against pakistan. My earliest fond memory was his maiden test hundred in 1990 in england when christoper martin jenkins had described the innings in BBC test match special so beautifully. Then his hundreds in australia in 1992, the 82 of 49 balls ag NZ in 1994 and vintage batting in 1998 against Pakistan ( in Asia Cup ) and Australia and the 2003 world cup are all memorable. To fulfill one's potential to the fullest is something few have achieved and sachin has certainly done that for the past 24 years. Best wishes to him for the future.

Posted by AjitRaje on (October 12, 2013, 7:51 GMT)

We have seen Sachin's runs, his endorsements and his pictures in newspapers and on billboards all the time. However, the one sentence used by Ugra - "He flung himself at the problem, like he always had with other problems - more practice, more hits, more nets, more training" - puts in perspective the tremendous hard work that went into creating this phenomena. No one is irreplaceable, but at the moment the hole left by him seems not "Tendulkar-sized" but a miles wide crater.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 5:35 GMT)

There is no doubt that If Krishnamachary Shrikkant initiated counter attack on Kangaroos with his billigerent batting display, Tendulkar dissected Aussies on the cricket fields world over with finesse, aplomb and humility. Perhaps he has the best record against them. And between ourselves, they must have prayed for his retirement a decade earlier. Even his worst enemies had to bow before that unassuming simplicity... a hallmark of legend and a model to imitate.... not the pseudo heroes of the silver screen.

But I have my fears.

I only wish that the legend is not used to prop up the sagging fortunes of the miserable government in the coming elections. The UPA has nothing to lose, its fortunes are already decided by the youth, but the image of the legend will be tarnished for no fault of his. I pray he keeps the studied distance that he deserves.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 3:19 GMT)

sad news for me...my interest in cricket has diminished after hearing the news,you will always be darling of indian crowds sir srt.

Posted by jabesz on (October 12, 2013, 3:03 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar - a name that is as strange to any Indian as the rising sun. An appellation that inspires, invokes awe and pride. A label that we are proud to wear on our dresses. A somebody whom everybody wishes to be associated with and nobody wants to offend. A batsman par excellence, a nightmare for bowlers, a constant feature in every little cricketer's dreams, a genius with the willow. A person with a closed private life and a scrutably open, public life. A man who when gets going stops a nation of one billion people on its tracks to a complete halt and then moves them like no other-emotionally, that is. If whole of Spirituality is about being in a state of bliss, then here is somebody who has given so much joy to everybody who has watched him, transporting the viewers to states of happiness that exist only in the far deeper recesses of the mind - indeed, where the minnd touches the soul. There has been very few who have given so much joy to so many like this Almighty of Cricket

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 2:41 GMT)

Sachin, the word itself is a perfect meaning for perfect and gentleman like cricket. He now belongs to a generation of gentleman cricketers who dont exist in this generation of IPL aggression and Ashes animosity. Long live Sachin as a cricket ambassador!!!!

Posted by bijuphilip on (October 12, 2013, 2:20 GMT)

i have been watching cricket since 1986 until now,I saw sachin's great innings, but from my memories I can only remember few innings which sachin lleads india win by himself.

i saw dhoni,yuvaraj,dravid winning the game for india,i would consider dravid is the legend than sachin.

I love sachin though.

Posted by archis100 on (October 11, 2013, 21:56 GMT)

24 years... our reason to cry and cheer, our reason to love and never hate, our reason to believe and not question... and counting! Nothing probably happened today that can either match or extinguish what was happening for a span of 24 years.

Long live The Kid! You rushed into our collective conscience with a dangling cricket bat, as if it was a mere extension of your physical being, and inspired the child in all of us.

Whatever you choose to do, you will have a bit of India and its dreams inside you.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 20:38 GMT)

A great champion.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 20:26 GMT)

24 years! That is 18 per cent of Test History, the mind boggles. Unlike the other stars, he did not get involved in match fixing, take banned substances, text nurses or the opposition, cheat on his wife, argue with umpires, publicly criticise others, fall out with coaches, and the ball tampering issue was rubbish!

I was 10 in 1989, now he's retired that is the last part of my childhood gone. We grew up with this guy, he started before Stewart, Thorpe, M Waugh, Warne, McGrath, Lara, Donald, Murali, and out lived them all.

Life without him feels empty. Indian Cricket is Tendulkar.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 19:13 GMT)

since childhood I am watching indian cricket, It has been an up and down but sachin tendulkar was always an up factor, he is synonym for cricket in india and cricket without him has no meaning in cricket loving country, it is fact that india without him also is a strong team but the value and energy comes with his great name will be missed ever, I have never thought indian team without sachin but it is going to be an reallity, he is a living legend, india's greatest hero. the greatest farewell is for him should be a public holiday when he play his last inning so that entire country can watch it.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 18:21 GMT)

Sachin showed many that determination and conviction are two things that will keep us going. His never say die attitude has made him so great. We , even aftr havng so many great players still bliv and want sachin to score runs and win a game for us. This is jst an exmple of how and what kind if impact he has on us and the GAME.We love you Sachin for every moment of happiness you gave through the game of cricket. You are our GOD and the true GOD of Cricket!!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 18:11 GMT)

They say that a song always takes us back to a particular moment of time and brings back great or sad memories. Well, I am 30 now. I have been listening to a song for the last 20 odd years. the song that came from every Sachin Tendulkar innings. My teen years and my early adolescent years culminated along the same time as Sachin's career; it's hard to fathom a life where no longer will we see the Legend with his Willow on the tube...a sad but a celebratory moment for a legend who represented the great rise of the New India. the India with great ambitions and great dreams! Salute to you Sachin and wishing you all the best in your new avatars during retirement!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 17:52 GMT)

I am sure that many are afraid to say it...but it was high time for this great man to retire, before his career records were blemished. For all of us who depend upon our physical or mental skills to achieve greatness in whatever we do, there is a time when these skill start to wane, due to the process of ageing. That is the time to quit...and let the next generation take up the fight...and to guide them if we can. I am sure Tendulkar has finally realized that truth which Gautama Buddha realized around 600 BCE.

Posted by BigINDFan on (October 11, 2013, 17:52 GMT)

I feel sad that we will not get to see the perfect straight drives, on the up cover drives and the flick that even the best dessert in this world cannot compete with. I feel sad that fans and critics started counting down and cursing he took too long to retire. I feel sad that Indian cricket is saying goodbye to our legend, our cricketing god and the best sportsman we have produced in the last two decades.

I feel glad that he is retiring on his own terms at home. I feel glad that other cricketing greats call and treat him as a great. I feel glad that Sachin finally gets to pass the mantle to someone else and ease the burden of carrying a nation's hopes on his shoulders.

I feel proud that he has achieved what others can only dream of. I feel proud he instilled hope, pride and belief that India can be world beaters. I feel proud he has maintained his discipline on and off the field.

I salute you the one and only Sachin Master Tendulkar! You will always be the best!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 17:50 GMT)

oh finaly a young guy can play for India.... sorry Sachin u can play few more 20, 30 year... u r still young. don't leave cricket, I think if some one got chance and performing fine then he should never become retired till death.. so no one young from 100,s million people nation have got chance to play cricket.

Posted by sportofpain on (October 11, 2013, 16:39 GMT)

Sachin's retirement reminds me that I have grown old. When Sach started in 1989 I was 22 years old, young, fit and a good cricket player. I captained my Institute cricket team before starting my corporate career but all along had cricket to follow, India to root for and Sachin to admire. Other greats joined him - but he led the pack. He knew it, they knew it and we all knew it. All along as I aged he excelled. I tried to stop the march of time playing Cricket in the US. He was plundering attacks everywhere. I needed surgery on both my knees but carried on. He had his health issues but remained brilliant. I captained my team to a T20 championship when I was 42. I broke my finger in the final. Later I broke something in my right leg. I need glasses to read. I have put on weight around my waist. My hairline is receding. He still excels. Now he is retiring. But how? He is invincible. It can't be. It is. Yes it's true -I have grown old. THANK YOU from someone who once was 22 & now is 46.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 16:36 GMT)

My Mind Goes back to some 1996 World cup match Sachin Tendulkar and Sanjay Manjrekar were batting and field restrictions got over and he said wait and watch and next ball after drinks #SRT hits one of the most immaculate "NOBODY MOVES COVER DRIVE" i had ever seen.... Devotion started then and there only....

Posted by indianzen on (October 11, 2013, 16:06 GMT)

If there is no Sachin, probably Cricket would have been lost like hockey in India. He is one man I would say thought us win against any opposition. Thanks to Tendulya for giving us 5 weeks of reconciliation time, after which a perennial state of international mourning will follow...

Posted by balajireddy on (October 11, 2013, 15:31 GMT)

Just to put things in perspective. The cricinfo banner talks about an incredible journey of 20 years. Sachin's journey has been for 29 years, since the first time he played with a 'season ball' as a 11 year old.

When he did that, the Berlin wall was still standing, rockets went up with logos as CCCP, the USSR was in place with a certain Mr. Gorbachev, Mr. Reagan made all those speeches. Across the Atlantic, I think it was Margaret Thatcher. And here Rajiv Gandhi was PM. Dollar was at about 20 rupees, petrol even cheaper. Cars on the streets were only Fiats, Ambys and the odd Maruti.

I was in primary school. I have studied through school, college and have about 12 years of work experience as an IT labourer. My hairline and waistline have grown inversely proportionate to each other. This guy is still playing like an Energiser bunny. I cannot do even a fraction of the things I could do back in 1989.

Hats off sir, what a life and what an effort!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 15:18 GMT)

He is finally going to be free. No more tousling with the Gods or the expectations, groans, sighs, the demands of the fanatics, wanting more and more, never satisfied. That is the price of genius, expecting more and more and more and then becoming petulant when there is a stumble. He lived in a bubble and yet he lived as if there was no pressure. All the pressure was between those 22 yards and there he was in charge. He was a giant who strode proudly in the world of cricket and in his demeanor he gave us a lesson on how genius and humility can walk hand in hand. Thanks for the memories. Thanks for the lessons on how to remain grounded. Thanks for being Sachin

Posted by svenkat02 on (October 11, 2013, 14:42 GMT)

Great article! But these articles are not enough to sum up this man, and thats a testament of how big he is. He is deeply ingrained in our body and soul for all these years that we have lived with him. Everytime you remember the word "India" and "cricket", instantly Sachin Tendulkar is the top guy that comes to mind. I started watching cricket since 1996 and have ever since been a hugeeeee fan of him. I fight for him when people said he is a selfish cricketer who runs behind records. I always throw up the stat which says most of his 100's have been in Indian wins. That's how passionate I am. I believe he has chosen the right time to bid adieu. The test team is getting settled with guys like Pujara, Kohli, Dhawan. New guys like Rayudu, Tiwary, Rahane, etc are in the wings with old timers like Gambhir, Sehwag still knocking. Its a co-incidence that he is quitting after the 200th test. To me, the Sachin legacy will live and keep Indian cricket alive forever!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 14:41 GMT)

I have watched him play since he went to his first tour of Pakistan in 1989. He was a teenager of just 16 years and the grit with which he faced the Pakistani fast bowlers was amazing. I saw him lofting Abdul Kader for sixes in Peshawar exhibition match. What a great innings that was the ease with which he cleared the boundaries is still fresh in my mind. I like his style of batting, his technique, his footwork, his timing and all is amazing. I saw his innings when he first opened an innings in and ODI in New Zealand in 1994. From then on he never looked back in ODI'S. His innings in world cups, in test matches are very very special. I hoped to have seen his batting 2 to 3 years more but unfortunately he has retired. He is the greatest batsman of all time and a very passionate cricketer. World will miss his batting for sure.

Posted by borninthetimeofSRT on (October 11, 2013, 13:36 GMT)

Was it just yesterday? Or has it been 24 years? For my generation of cricket lovers, and even those who didn't find interest in the game at all, each one of us had to come to know of Sachin. One couldn't escape it - saying "Sachin, who?" It is like we have just walked out of a movie hall watching an epic - a classic Bollywood saga, or may be one of Oliver Scott's classic productions. It was destiny that we all be involved in this epic between 1987 - 2013 and love the game so much that we wouldn't keep track of time (in yrs). Sachin's debut, his interview with Tom Alter & Gavaskar gifting Sachin his pads are all scenes etched very clear in most people's memories who were probably as young as 7-8 yrs. old. Paradoxically speaking, his was a career too long by any standards for us to ever forget - like we always remember the best scenes and dialogues of our fav movies. I wouldn't wish that cricket gets more players like him. Dear Long Room, make some space please, one complete wall will do

Posted by Al_Bundy1 on (October 11, 2013, 12:33 GMT)

Good Riddance!! Sachin was great in his prime, but for the past 2-3 years he batting like a tailender. He should have retired after World Cup 2011, but, for wahet ever reasons, he chose to keep playing. Who knows how many promising youngsters were denied simply because our oldies didn't know when to let go.

Posted by SankaraRamanM on (October 11, 2013, 12:32 GMT)

Yesterday, TimesNow did a re-run of his Sep 2012 interview. I was so engrossed hearing him open up. At the fag end of the interview, there was 'Breaking News' that Yuvi has helped India beat Australia and I realized that I had forgotten about this match listening to Sachin speak more than a year back!

It's going to be very painful to watch cricket, especially Test cricket after Nov 18th. There will be no more roars at the fall of the 2nd wicket! We have been blessed to watch a test lineup that included Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, VVS, Ganguly and Kumble (realized that it feels very natural to refer to him by his first name and the others by their surnames!).

Posted by vaidhyanathan8460 on (October 11, 2013, 11:56 GMT)

Now I follow a religion without a god

Posted by Cricket24 on (October 11, 2013, 11:30 GMT)

From a young teen in the USA, I loved watching the 2011 world cup, the 2003 world cup, when i was barely 4, and many other great innings. My favorite thing though was in South Africa, when he was going at it with Dale Steyn. Such class and timing!!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 10:31 GMT)

Today Morning I read an old Steve Waugh interview where he talked about those two innings in the summer of 1998 at Sharjah. The images from those days flashed right in front of my eyes and I could clearly feel goosebumps on body. That is the kind of effect you had on us Sachin. Thanks for those memories Sir. I have been privileged to be born in an era when you played Cricket. Cricket will not be the same anymore (at least to me).

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 10:29 GMT)

dhoni + yuvi + virat + david warner still can not fill the riterment of sachin i am very very sad for sachin retirment for me he can play 30 years more i will miss you

Posted by satishchandar on (October 11, 2013, 10:17 GMT)

The crowd outside the TV shops while Sachin bats and after he gets out would say the whole story how common man loves this guy..

Call your friend who forgot there is match today and then say him about the match.. First question he asks is "How much did Sachin score?"

Go to home little late after a ODI game is started.. Your heart will say the joy you have when Sachin still bats..

The number of TVs switched off when he gets out is wholesale proof for his command over the viewers..

People waiting in the stadium for second wicket to fall and cheer it even when he is Dravid says how much the crowd want to view the master on the field.. May be harsh on the outgoing batsman but the joy he gives to the crowd by getting out is unmatchable..

As a Chennaite, would miss this guy entering into our Chepauk stadium forever..

No single person can be bigger than game unless he is Sachin..

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 9:33 GMT)

Well, i do not know, why events transpired like the way they did after CWC 2011, but that period of 8-9 months has got him/ others down. Probably with the way other stalwarts( Dravid + Laxman) also diminished, had brought down a curtain on the Fab 4, and you felt, that this was long coming. and it was expected that probably after 200 tests it will be done. But immediately after his late '12 ODI retirement , i for once was apprehensive how the grounds will be at Chennai, but to my relief life moved on, i guess until something drastic happens, the love of Indian Cricket Fan is eternal.I think Sachin has been one of a great cricketing role models to the youth of our country and a great servant to Indian cricket.I am still disappointed at this anticlimax, i was hoping that he travels to SA, and may be the Indian team pulls off an unlikely rabbit. I might have not been his greatest fan sometime publicly against him, but SIR, I SALUTE YOU WITH TEARS FOR ONCE!!!!! AN END OF AN ERA.

Posted by Whispering_Holding on (October 11, 2013, 9:12 GMT)

I remember an ODI game in POS Trinidad in '97 when he opened the batting and roughed up Bishop and Ambrose right at the start. He must have made 40 odd in quick time with loads of boundaries. These 2 guys did not have a clue where to bowl and that is saying something. Eventually when he got out, Walsh gathered the guys in an on field huddle. We went on to win the game but I don't think after that anyone from Trinidad would begrudge him comparisons with Lara, our own idol. A great cricketer, a great ambassador for the sport and a great human being. Well played Sachin; every innings must come to close and thanks for the memories.

Posted by StevenJabrot on (October 11, 2013, 7:40 GMT)

Just wait for the roar when he comes out to bat in his final innings, that roar of Saaaccchhiiiiiiinnn is going to echo on for eternity. People would be crying not only in stadium but also in front of televison sets when he walks back for the last time. He was nation's mood barometer and when he wallks off the ground the vaccum in cricket lover's life is going to be HUGE. A humble salute to the man, the legend, Sachin Tendulkar.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (October 11, 2013, 7:29 GMT)

Cricket was the premier game in India before Sachin ever picked up a bat. We can call those decades that span six decades of the 20th Century, when India was, in world cricketing terms, very largely an also ran, Before Tendulkar. Then there has been the Tendulkar Years: 1989-2013. IMO, there have been only two other cricketers who have defined the age in which they played: WG Grace who had a career that began before Test cricket, in 1865, and ended in 1908. And the second is, of course, The Don: 1928-48. Each of these immortals had a transformative effect on on the game, both nationally and internationally. Of the three, SRT is the one whose exploits have touched by far the greatest number and the one whose deeds can readily be accessed in this age of mass electronic media. Given that the world's population is growing expodentially, there is no doubt whatsoever that a fourth cricketer who will define his age is, perhaps, even now, picking up his boy's bat in a street or a back garden.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 6:53 GMT)

It doesn't matter if you call him 'God' or not, but I bet you will give anything to witness him batting one more time. I envy you all, the lucky ones who could still watch cricket with same or enthused vigor.

Posted by gmsjgmsj on (October 11, 2013, 6:49 GMT)

A man who could be King!

Sachin is the greatest Indian cricketer, not merely greatest Indian batsman. The humility he brought on to the field, the determination and his pride in wearing the India cap (as can be seen from the national flag on his helmet..maybe he was the first to don it like that) can never be forgotten by us leave alone his batting statistics.

He was the one person who taught the liberalised 90s India that we, as Indians, could take up any fight and win. He taught us to fight dare with double dare even in our daily existence, chores, jobs, housework. As much for the marketing executive riding 100 kms daily to find a new client, Sachin also transfixed housewives in their mid day chores with his batting. We prayed that he will deliver and he did deliver on many occasions.

Is he the greatest test batsman? It is debatable. He does not have a great second innings chasing record in tests to prove it. But he is the undisputable greatest ODI batsman. Innovator. Forever.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 6:43 GMT)

I used to pray every ball that sachin should not get out...I grew seeing his batting ...And still I could remember SHARJA CUP against AUS and his centuries...this may go endless...One thing I can Say from now I can see a Cricket match with relaxed mood...

Posted by KishorKumar25 on (October 11, 2013, 6:41 GMT)

Sehwag + Rayudu + Rohith together can fill the hole that will be formed by Sachins retirement

Posted by Biggus on (October 11, 2013, 6:40 GMT)

@Roleplay:-For what it's worth I think Tendulkar is a great batsman, one of the greatest ever, but I think his record speaks for itself and doesn't need people spicing up things that people have said about him. There is no record of Don Bradman saying he "adored" SRT so to assert that he did is either uniformed or dishonest. I DO NOT hate Sachin Tendulkar as you seem to claim and I'm in no way 'jealous' . I'm a cricket fan and have much enjoyed his play. I'm in no way hostile, I just have a respect for facts that the original poster seems to lack. I hope you can understand that, because you have wildly misinterpreted my comment and read things into it that are simply not there.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 6:25 GMT)

once sachin leaves, media will not have any thing to mull about, esp cricinfo would ahve ntohing to talk about, cricitcs wont have any thing to chew as well. we all loved, hated, regretted, felt sad for every event associated with him - his 100s, ducks, 50s, milestones what not. 2.5 decades of sachin coming to an end. cricket without sachin - unimaginable. Thanks Sachin for all the memories, we will relish and cherish forever. we have 10 more days to enjoy your presence on the field. looking forward to........

Posted by shreyas82 on (October 11, 2013, 6:15 GMT)

since i watching him play , i used to get anxious for every ball he faced !! even in tests... how he 's going to play and pray that he don't get out ..... now i can watch cricket in relaxed mood....

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 6:10 GMT)

Adios Sachin Tendulkar From the Cricket. But Not From Our Memories.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 5:42 GMT)

"sachin" the name has become a synonym for the word excellence over the years,people say become sachin of your field means excel such is the greatness.there are many who watched cricket just to see him batting and u r right over the last year we all were worried about him he scored runs but seeing the master struggling was not good. now when he is going it feels he should have played a bit more.it will take some time to believe the team without sachin

Posted by amaltn on (October 11, 2013, 5:27 GMT)

I will always be an Indian Cricket fan. But come this November there will be a big hole in my heart. The very thought that you will be watching the greatest inspiration you have had for the better part of two decades for the final time is heart-breaking and unfathomable. But his legacy is sure to live on for years to come and will be etched in the pantheons of time. We salute you MASTER- OUR DEAR SACHIN RAMESH TENDULKAR...............

Posted by Mr.PotatoesTomatoes on (October 11, 2013, 5:24 GMT)

This is no age for heroes.Sachin is one of the greats of cricket,no one's doubting that.But lets keep it to that and move on as the man himself will.Piling on the superlatives is gratuitous,even takes away from the man's greatness.His feats speak for themselves,and don't need to be defended by anyone.Wish him and his family good luck.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 5:13 GMT)

i started to love this game called cricket when sachin was there in india's blue jersey and whites in the initial years of his career. then the game grew stronger and stronger in my heart and my mind as his career flourished and he became demi god for us. now i dont watch anyother game other than cricket. while announcing his retirement he told i cant imagine life without cricket.we cannot imagine cricket without sachin. now i dont have any game to follow. now i d ont have anybody to adore, now i dont have anybody to pray for. like always time moves on. but this time we fans have been stuck by a massive tsunami, a scale 9.3 earthquake. our lives will be changed forever and ever. love you always sachin you are my hero.

Posted by Roleplay on (October 11, 2013, 5:04 GMT)

@Biggus.How protective and so much hostility in that comment of yours .Tendulkar doesn't need accolades from his former greats coz if he really thrived on praises then he wouldn't have reached where he has reached today.However how many batsman did don talked about his similarity with.I believe you are really mad that it isnt any aussie ponting,steve waugh which really made you comment on slightest opportunity to let know of your intentions.Get a life and pour something nice on the internet world instead of hatred.Captain Meanster didnt spiced that comment at all...What does it say about Don opinion about sachin that he hates him or adores him.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 4:55 GMT)

Cud not have been a worse article. one of the worst i have ever read.

Posted by srikanths on (October 11, 2013, 4:46 GMT)

Great player and what we thought is a role model , but the younger generation thinks so but do not emulate him on the " model " part. Never been a greater sight than watching him bat.Been following cricket for over 40 years ,have seen from Gavasakar /Vishy days. Never seen a more looked forward to cricketer as SRT was. Gavaskar was more in the "correct" batsmanship mode and never mastered ODI format.SRT was a master of all. Sachin and Lara were in a different league , with Sachin having an edge due to his focus ,determination and desire to excel. Started as a great stroke maker who later tightened his defence , not that he did not have it earliet but just that he chose to unbveil that in his later years.

The last one year was a tension more to his fans than to him possibly. He had clearly slowed down, we were all worried that the last memory was sullying the 22 years of great memory. I think he never had great delusions, he just played it normally without worry of legacy etc .

Posted by Biggus on (October 11, 2013, 4:38 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster:-Let's not lapse into hyperbole and inaccuracy. To say, " He was the most adored and admired cricketer by Sir Don Bradman" is pure rubbish. What Don Bradman did do was call his wife into the room while he was watching the cricket and say that the young Tendulkar played like he did. That's enough of a compliment without having to spice the comment up. You may adore Tendulkar but I don't think the Don did, in fact I'm pretty certain of that, as he wasn't the sort of person to adore another player, he merely noted similarities in their approach to batting.

Posted by Roleplay on (October 11, 2013, 4:05 GMT)

In Sachin you will see whatever your eyes can see; to some people he seems selfish record obsessed run machine whereas to some he is the most humble human being with a child like desire who just wants to play cricket even after being the colossal superstar of gigantic magnitude over history of cricket.I never wasted my time by going through his stats .For me it were the moments which made my eyes twinkled such as When the Little master receives a standing ovation not for scoring a century but just that he is entering the cricket ground irrespective of the cultures of the crowd which appreciated him in foreign lands,that guard he takes before facing the fast bowler(esp abroad) keeps the adrenaline pumping just to see something to happen even though it is a simple defence to alan donald s inswinger or a leave to mcgraths nagging line,that trademark signatory straight drive,even getting out to some beauties by great bowlers was always an event which i will nevr ever be able to watch again

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 3:51 GMT)

I first saw him play in the 1996 world cup, he was well and truly into his career. As you rightly said, looking at his career, we look back at our own lives and map where we were, what we were doing and how things were when the Master was going about creating his legend. Indeed, he is India and India is he.

Posted by vish2020 on (October 11, 2013, 3:28 GMT)

Tendulkar will always be the one for Indian fans because he really showed us what it feels like to have a 'STAR' playing on your team. Sunil, Kapil, Azhar and many others were great players no doubt but sachin was one player who would put fear into the opposition like no other. He single handedly kept india on the map when all around him were falling like rain drops. He kept the whole nation focused into the game. If it wasn't for sachin, India wouldn't be the superpower it is in cricket with so much money and power. Sachin played a huge role in everything cricket and we as indians owe him a lot.

Sharda UgraClose

Crunch time for Sehwag and Gambhir

Numbers Game: The Indian T20 tournament presents an opportunity to both to show their class once again

The rise of the Associates

Firdose Moonda: Cricket below the international top tier is well structured. It's a pity the Test-playing world doesn't take a leaf out of their book

The choking problem

Martin Crowe: If they are to live up to their potential in next year's World Cup at home, New Zealand need to look within

Impressing Viv and Greg

Five Firsts: Former Pakistan batsman Haroon Rasheed on the compliments he received, and his admiration for Gavaskar

Why India are not cricket's Brazil yet

Samir Chopra: The numbers might be in their favour, but they can't boast sustained excellence or a distinctive playing style

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

Attention on Yuvraj, Gambhir in IPL 2014

ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance

The watch breaker, and Malinga specials

The Plays of the day from the match between Kolkata and Mumbai, in Abu Dhabi

India: cricket's Brazil

It's difficult to beat a huge talent base exposed to good facilities, and possessed of a long history of competing as a nation

Fifty for the pantheon

What if you had to narrow all of cricket greatness down to 50 names?