Quick Singles

Snappy Q&As with the players

R Ashwin

'I know more about offspin than Sachin'

The India and Chennai bowler on the one thing he can beat Tendulkar at, and being a bit of a cricket nerd

Interview by Nagraj Gollapudi

R Ashwin has a bowl in his first Test on Australian soil, Australia v India, 1st Test, Melbourne, 1st day, December 26, 2011
Ashwin: early to bed, early to rise © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Ravichandran Ashwin

Tell us something we don't know about you?
I am a very sensitive person, especially when it comes to heart-to-heart conversations. I am straightforward and I expect the same from people.

We have asked your team-mates and some think you are a better engineer than a cricketer.
(Laughs) I don't know if I would have made a better engineer than a cricketer. I definitely think I am a much better cricketer.

They say you're a cricket nerd.
I won't say if nerd is the right term, but I'm a big, big cricket fanatic. I just cannot stop thinking, talking cricket. I do carry notebooks and make notes to look at improving and developing my own game. Being the only kid in the family, I grew up talking cricket with my parents. But that has comparatively reduced over a period of time. I have made my dad understand that we shouldn't be talking cricket at home.

The one thing a Tam Brahmin cannot live without?
Thairsaadam (curd rice). I am not usually fussy about food but sometimes on overseas tours if I get bored I take a cooker and some rice and enjoy some curd rice.

What is one Olympic sport you would like a ticket to?
Field hockey, weightlifting, and watching Usain Bolt in the 100 metres.

What was the last book you read?
The one I am reading at the moment is by Jim Collins on improving skills - how one can go from good to great. The last book I read was Fredrick Forsyth's The Devils Alternative.

Late nights or early mornings?
Early mornings. I love my mornings. I used to wake up at 4am as a kid to go for my cricket training. I also love cycling. If I'm in the mood, I take the bike out for a ride.

Does your family wake up to the sounds of MS Subbalakshmi?
Not really. We are not an orthodox Tamil family.

What song would you like played at your funeral?
Interesting. It will have to be the Tamil rap song "Pettai Rap" from the movie Kadhalan.

We're told you are a Tamil movie buff. Can you do a dialogue from a film?
A Rajni [Rajnikant] dialogue would be a good one. It comes from a movie called Pasha. Rajni says Naan oru dhadave sonna, nooru dhadave sonna madri" [If I have said it once, I have said it a 100 times].

Who's your all-time non-sporting hero?
Kamal Hasan and Aamir Khan. Both experiment with their movies. Kamal is probably slightly more talented than Aamir.

What is the one thing you can beat Sachin Tendulkar at?
The knowledge that I have about my trade - offspin bowling. I definitely know my art.

Leander Paes has just won his 50th doubles title. What does it mean to you as an Indian?
I am a very proud Indian. Each time Leander or Mahesh Bhupathi does well I'm elated.

What's the one question the media should be banned from asking you?
The media should not be allowed to ask about a sportsperson's personal life.

What kind of batsman is most difficult to bowl to?
The kind of batsman who really uses his feet - sits back and taps the ball to the on side and allows the other batsman to take strike.

Who is the one person you like following on Twitter?
Andre Agassi.

Name one advantage for an international cricketer of being married and one disadvantage.
There is no disadvantage as such. You must enjoy life with your partner. I am a very much a family man. Marriage gives you a feeling of being settled. I have someone who I can bank on and it is a really wonderful feeling.

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

Tell us what you think. Send us your feedback

Comments: 70
Posted by   on (April 7, 2012, 16:19 GMT)

where is sachin and where is ashwin what a comedy. sachin is great player and he is great in all. jai sachin jai jai jai sachin

Posted by   on (April 6, 2012, 20:02 GMT)

Is Ashwin forgetting that Sachin used to bowl as well or was he busy reading cheap novels when Sachin was doing those tricks? Furthermore, even though Sachin has registered as 'leg-break' he used to bowl an impossible mixture that definitely included 'more-turning-off-breaks-than-Ashwin's'.

Posted by csowmi7 on (April 4, 2012, 18:34 GMT)

It seems absurd that people have already started calling Ashwin an ordinary bowler. He had an amazing debut series against WI taking 22 wickets and scored a century. Ans in Australia he took 8 wickets in 3 matches. Yes in a couple of ODIs he struggled against Aus but he bowled to the Hussey bros who know everything about him. He was fantastic against SL in all the matches hardly conceding over 30 runs and taking at least 3 wickets a match. Give the guy a chance. I mean Harbhajan was terrible in Aus having an average close to 50 or something and a best bowling of 3/100. Seems strange people expect Ashwin to score centuries take 5 wicket hauls and attend all press conferences when the team is losing miserably. He is a promising young cricketer and deserves a long run.

Posted by androyuvi on (April 4, 2012, 18:21 GMT)

and being an atheist i cant agree sachin as a god too :P hes a great human, very good cricketer, but no god..

Posted by endoftest on (April 4, 2012, 17:44 GMT)

@RunABall i read the comment and understood as a indian cricket fan in general not just as sachin praising fan. So may be its time you read that again. Coming to the point of ashwin knowing more about offspin than sachin, what's wrong with that ?. sachin is a good cricketer and may be a good person also but he is not playing for the country for free, so its not a favor, he is doing his job and he is getting paid for that. No need to over hype by calling him "GOD" as our people do. He also was ready to attend dravid's farewell ceremony organised by BCCI, he could have gone for doctor's appointment next day ( maximum he would have missed 1 IPL match ).... :-)

Posted by johnathonjosephs on (April 4, 2012, 17:40 GMT)

I used to not like Ashwin for many reasons, but after reading this interview, I find he's just a normal guy. What's more, it seems as if he was just an ordinary cricket fan who practiced cricket and came to the big stage. My supports is behind Ashwin now

Posted by thinktank1 on (April 4, 2012, 16:44 GMT)

simple and light interview..

Posted by ansram on (April 4, 2012, 16:26 GMT)

Why can't Ashwin know more about off spin than Sachin? The comments of some users are funny they think Sachin knows everything under the sun.

Posted by cric4india on (April 4, 2012, 15:44 GMT)

Wow!! Why is Sachin in this feedback session? Do his detractors really know how they actually elevate him this way? I don't have any complaints! Thank you...hahaha

Posted by sixnout on (April 4, 2012, 15:23 GMT)

JamesTheWallDravid... Are you kidding me? Sachin gave the name the WALL to Dravid.. He taught Saqlain how to bowl the Doosra... He taught W.G.Grace how to bat..Sachin is better than Kallis and Sobers combined as a allrounder.. He can bowl faster that the fastest ball ever bowled.. He is a better fielder than Jonty.. Sachin is GOD... How dare you question that... Its blasphemy... I am going to sue you... But I think Sachin would not agree with any of my comments :(

Posted by Stos on (April 4, 2012, 15:20 GMT)

If you ask an off-spin bowler what one thing they are better than Sachin at is, wouldn't 'off-spin' be pretty much the obvious answer? It's not wrong, either; there is a reason why Sachin isn't considered a bowler. If anything it shows humility, given that they're basically refusing to denigrate Sachin's ability as a batsman in any way.

Posted by getsetgopk on (April 4, 2012, 14:39 GMT)

worst interview of a cricketer ever partly because of the quality of cricket he plays, there isn't much about off spin bowling there nor any interesting event or anything like that, such a waste

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 14:29 GMT)

Ashwin... stop speaking and show more on results...

Posted by dhruvans on (April 4, 2012, 14:18 GMT)

@JamesTHEwalldravid I agree with everything u say and understand your humour but sharukh khan should stop acting he is a joke, and every single role he plays is similar to his previous one (except for davedas and my name is khan)

Posted by CarDroid on (April 4, 2012, 14:09 GMT)

@JamesTHEwalldravid: Agree with what you said - the fans (i.e. the fanatics and the section of the media that's jingoistic) ends up portraying a very bad picture of the player / team that they try so hard to support. Many years ago, I (fed on certain newspapers) used to believe that Mathew Hayden is an arrogant, bigot, disrespectful sportsman. That changed the day I happened to meet him in an airport terminal - he turned out to be quite polite and obliged every fan who troubled him for a picture or an autograph. People who've met SRT at close quarters agree that he's a rather private but very polite chap - if that's true, I'm sure he hates the fanatics who swear by the "Sachin is God" mantra.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 13:53 GMT)

us ordinary people tend to put sachin at a pedestal, which is not wrong for us.. we have to understand that the man shares a dressing room with him.. for you and me sachin is gifted.. for any indian team member he is a colleague and a friend.. we should not mind it even if he had said that i bat better than him.. it is an opinion.. more importantly, it is his opinion.. so take a chill pill before pouncing on him.. as for saeed ajmal and graeme swann comments, the guy has played two tours which include 7 matches.. so comparing him with them is stupid..

Posted by paulnath2 on (April 4, 2012, 13:48 GMT)

some indian fans comment like crazy fellows.now i knw the reason why indian team is split.please learn to respect other indian players too.He has a good record in both test and ODI.Yes he is not a legend like sachin.but he believes he is better in his department.that's what all the player would think.He didn't tell he is a better batsman than sachin.Even sachin would admit his comment.Dont discourage an emerging player like him.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (April 4, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

Also Sachin knows more about fast bowling than Dennis Lillee, Waqar Younis, Allan Donald, Ambrose, Wasim, Malcolm Marshall, Michael Holding and Richrd Hadlee and combined! Also he is a better keeper than Sangakarra and Kalu as well. Also Obama should step aside and let Sachin do his work. Sharukh Khan should stop acting and hand it over to SRT. It is the only way(certain) Indian fans will be happy.

Posted by muthuthewaves on (April 4, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

Read the article and comment dont do by readin the title. Titles are meant to attract and they have done it exactly here.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (April 4, 2012, 13:30 GMT)

hahaha this is so funny! :) I love Sachin and I think his die hard fans actually give him a bad name. Sachin does not go around saying "I am Bradman" his fans do. It makes you lose respect for SRT even though it is not his fault. How funny and how sad. Also in India if a doctor is asked if he can do better surgery than Sachin he should say:"No! Sachin is a better surgeon than me. Just because I went to medical school and have done 1000 successful operations does not mean that I am even half as good as Sachin". Also Einstein should never have gotten the award for the theory of relativity and it should be awarded to Sachin instead. Hahaha :) so funny.

Posted by cricket_wins on (April 4, 2012, 13:27 GMT)

All Tendulkar fans - be fans, not fanatics. Tendulkar is a great batsman and a mere human, not god. You may consider him as god of cricket, but he is a mediocre captain. A good cricketer, yes, but human. Sachin knows how to play off-spin and even how bowlers hold the ball and release it. That is why he is a great player of spin. But ask him to bowl and Ashwin is a better bowler than Sachin. Sachin may have wickets under his belt, but he is not as good an all-rounder as Kallis or Sobers. Except batting, all other departments of the game have better players than Sachin. So it was fair for Ashwin to say he knows off-spin bowling better than Sachin. If he had said "I also have a century under my belt and bowl spin bowling, so I consider myself as a successor to Tendulkar", then that is being arrogant. Tendulkar fans have to be humble first. Accept that off-spinners bowl off-spin better than Sachin. Leg spinners bowl leg-spin better than Sachin. Way to go Ashwin!!

Posted by kingcobra85 on (April 4, 2012, 12:55 GMT)

I see a confident young articulate man...pretty rare these days especially in sport

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 12:45 GMT)

Aswin u r ok. But, u have to develop ur skills. it is not too fair. try to take 1 wicket for each match.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 12:35 GMT)

Very good responses. WI batters must learn to use their feet. An interesting guy.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 12:20 GMT)

amazing to read so many comments here regarding Ash's comment about Sachin now i have a simple question.."WHO IS THIS ASHWIN WHAT EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE HAS HE COME UP WITH OF LATE" do we really need to promote IPL like this.Now will we see haadlines like "Sachin set to avenge Aswin" before a stupid CSK vs MI match..Oh God..i thought he was set to lose his test spot soon.any one agrees/disagrees? please publish

Posted by androyuvi on (April 4, 2012, 11:56 GMT)

if sachin is that good i bowling why didn't he get to bowl in all the matches? why didn't he enter in top 10 bowling ranking? after-all ashwin is the only one from entire India to have a place in top 10 ODI bowling rite now.. so far the best bowler after world cup.. if he has bowled bad in a match the other bowlers would have bowled worst.. and he has the guts to tell the TRUTH in this sachin-obsessed nation.. and moreover this is a fun interview, why do all take it so seriously?

and lastly, many think sachin is the best batsman in the world which even i agree.. but there are a many who feels kallis as a best player.. so there is a definite difference between a batsman and a bowler.. i always adored ashwin's press conferences, as he is the only one in indian team who have guts to talk frankly..

Posted by srinideva on (April 4, 2012, 11:47 GMT)

I completly agree with what ashwin said.

Posted by Pranav09 on (April 4, 2012, 11:46 GMT)

People in India treat Sachin as God.. We dont have Gods in Games ! Of course Ashwin is betterthan Sachin in bowling..sachin is not the best at everything! his role in the Indian Cricket team is that of a batsman..and probably a mentor.. No one is better than SAchin when it comes to at least Batting! Raina, Kohli, Jadeja Rohit Sharma are better than him in fielding! Even an idiot will accept that!

Posted by srinideva on (April 4, 2012, 11:45 GMT)

@ satish619chandar,,, hi buddy i viewed your comments on CI, for some times. you spot on every time. very well written. Everyone has talent of theeir own. Some one became enginner, or doctor or whatever the field they chose. If sachin is better batsman in the world. yes we can accept. But at the same time you can`t ignore the other peoples talent. For here ashwin.

Posted by Vilander on (April 4, 2012, 11:40 GMT)

Good to great from Jim Collins, oh boy you are on right track Ashwin the hedge hog concept, stockdale paradox!!

Posted by FRRR on (April 4, 2012, 11:39 GMT)

He is a very ordinary bowler and Indian media is again trying to make him a star out of the field. In the age of spinning greats like Ajmal, Hafeez, Swann and Afridi, Ashin stands no chance of being even a top bowler for some time.

Off spinning has evolved in to an advanced art and if some one wants to see the art at work, see Ajmal and Hafeez.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 11:21 GMT)

c'mon guys!!!!!be serious. Aswin ofcourse knows the art of offspin bowling better than sachin for sure, and for that matter, he knows offspin bowling better than most of us. But then again that takes nothing away from sachin, coz no one knows the art of batting better than the GOD himself.

Posted by ktic on (April 4, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

The moment I read the headline I knew its a funny talk and given the nature of the talk there is nothing wrong he said. Looks like there are plenty of kids taking offence and log in to comment. Am just wondering if cricinfo has a age restriction to become a member!?!?!?!

Posted by soumyas on (April 4, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

@raghoo1, well said mate.....

Posted by ARIF3011 on (April 4, 2012, 10:30 GMT)

Guys, please give Ashwin and Sachin a break. Ashwin hasn't said what is written in the title of this article. He said he knows his art (of off-spin bowling) very well. He never said he can beat Sachin in anything. On Sachin's side - did Sachin ever asked anyone one to bow in front of him, or he is a kind of god? Never!!! People in India have cultural habit of bowing in front of anything and everything. This is not the fault of the person himself if people are treating him as god. Let cricket be a game. We do not have gods in games, please!!!

Posted by satish619chandar on (April 4, 2012, 10:21 GMT)

For the question "What is the one thing you can beat Sachin Tendulkar at?" To satisfy the guys who call themselves Sachin fanatics, Answer by Ashwin should have been : "He is a god and i am just a kid. I have no skill which is better than Sachin's." Come on guys.. As a fulltime bowler, he surely would know about off spin more than Sachin.. One guy mentioned that Sachin bowled a couple of deliveries better than Warne and Qadir.. Will it make him better leggie than them? Ash too played some off drives and some pull shots.. Will it make him better batsman than Sachin because of that? Sachin is a alltime great batsman and it is absolutely rubbish for the fans to say it again and again at every possible chance.. Getting irritating day by day..

Posted by satish619chandar on (April 4, 2012, 10:14 GMT)

Come on guys.. Its just a answer and just chill out.. Did u guys/Ashwin get serious when the reporter came up with a question like "What song would you like played at your funeral?"?? Just like that, read out the answer and don't make it too much.. In quick singles, you just answer without thinking too much what comes out from ur mouth..

Posted by nachami on (April 4, 2012, 10:02 GMT)

Just because Sachin is a legend, I don't think people have to be a slave to him or bow to him every second. All of us do have self esteem, prestige, required ego. Not every one will be blessed with everything and a complete human being. However, all of us will definitely be good at something - we need to keep appreciating that and work towards short comings to go to greater heights. If we underestimate our own strengths and feel low before somebody, how are we to perform? Don't we have to keep our head high to take up challenge? What kind of image we create by saying every minute that Sachin knows everything and we are no where near!!! Is this what we want? Come on guys - think through...

Posted by SasiGladi on (April 4, 2012, 9:50 GMT)

Kid u may know more about off spin knowledge than Sachin, but u should learn how to deal media from Sachin, these media will take no time to tamper your goodness by pulling out a simple word from you be aware of that, you have gave many interesting answers but check which answer went on top as headlines....It was pretty open interrview no doubt but some times it is better to keep yourself hided out of the meida radar......on top good engineer can become good spinner our Kumble is an example for that feel proud that you are an engineer...all the best for your future.....

Posted by raghoo1 on (April 4, 2012, 9:45 GMT)

I don't get it, guys. What is he expected to say in response to the question about Sachin? "Nothing! Sachin knows more about everything in this world than me?". If you are an engineer or a cook or a cobbler, wouldn't you feel you are better than Sachin at that? Even if Sachin thrashes Ashwin's bowling in the IPL that doesn't change anything. That just proves that Sachin is a great batsman (if at all anyone needed more proof of his batting ability), but doesn't prove that Sachin is a better offspin bowler. Come on guys, Sachin doesnt have to be the best at EVERYTHING… and saying that doesn't make anyone arrogant. That was a straight answer to a tricky question, in this Sachin adoring world. Yes, I do believe Ashwin is a better offspin bowler than Sachin

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 9:43 GMT)

I dislike this Tendulkar adulation. So what if he says that he knows more about offspin than Tendulkar? At least he's confident. The problem is that people believe that Tendulkar IS the Indian team, instead of merely a very useful member.

Posted by soumyas on (April 4, 2012, 9:36 GMT)

after reading this aticle, somehow i started respecting ashwin, he looks like an intellectual.

Posted by ramli on (April 4, 2012, 9:32 GMT)

It is the problem with the headline .. and not with the answer ... it is straight talk ... to be appreciated ... Ashwin is CERTAINLY a better off-spin bowler than SACHIN .. on any given day in cricket ... and that is because .. Ashwin has MORE knowledge of off-spin than Sachin ... what is the problem? Just because Sachin has 100 hundreds to his credit does not entitle him to become the master of all trades in cricket ... Even if Sachin is God, he can utmost be worshipped, NOT flattered

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 9:22 GMT)

Ashwin is proud of his trade in no mean is dis-respect to Sachin Tendulkar......

Posted by Malickmalick on (April 4, 2012, 9:13 GMT)

Come on guys. dont take the subject of the article so serious. its alwayz obvious that you wont get the attention until you dont do something disturbing and thats what author has done here. Nobody gona read this article or gona coment IF the heading was just related to Ashwin. Its deliberate act to gain attention and he has got so. be relax and just enjoy his casual talk shawk. I am from Pakistan and I must admit that NOBODY in the cricket can compare himself with sachin. He is the master of the all masters. Just relax guyz !!!

Posted by HusseyForever on (April 4, 2012, 9:07 GMT)

Well I have seen Sachin leg-spinning a ball square during 1998 series against us. If I'm not wrong Sachin took 5-wicket haul in ODI to win the match for India. His bowling weapons included odd offspins as well. But Sachin definitely knows much better bowling than this new lad Ashwin. Ashwin's deliveries hardly spin and occasional wickets he get due to quicker ones. I would rate Sachin as better bowler than this big-statements lad.

Posted by leleraja on (April 4, 2012, 8:36 GMT)

Well said Ash!! Your self confidence and honest opinion needs to be praised! Wishing you all success in this IPL!

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 8:34 GMT)

ashwin u r just a kid in front of giant like sachin....think b4 commenting

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 8:32 GMT)

Very cool and straight forward conversation . Yeah he is better when it comes to off-spin bowling and everyone knows that . Silly stuff from cricinfo to keep that phrase as the title.

Posted by rvenkat on (April 4, 2012, 8:25 GMT)

Guys, all the replies should be taken in a lighter sense. Atleast he gave a reply which was something different from most of the other cricketers. I think there is nothing wrong with what he has said about him knowing the art of off-spin bowling more than what Sachin does. There is no question of respect coming into the picture. I guess Sachin himself would agree to that. Stop creating an issue out of this and just enjoy the replies. And to the comment "Just an average bowler who just got lucky". Friend, luck always favours the hardworker. Go check the stats. He was the second highest wicket taker in his first ever Ranji season(2006), Man of the series in Challenger series, IPL heroics and many more. Its not easy to bowl a maiden first over in an IPL finals. Takes a lot to do that. Even bhajji struggled in Australia. Doesn't mean that he is a bad bowler. @Ash : You rock and well on the way to become a top class off spinner.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 8:25 GMT)

THESE COMMENTS FOR/AGAINST ASHWIN is the SYMPTOM OF ~ IPL 5 ~ FEVER :) LETS NJOY THE REST OF ACTION IN NEXT 2 MONTHS ~ GET READY GUYS~!!!

Posted by RunABall on (April 4, 2012, 8:15 GMT)

@EndOfTest, you have no clue of what you're saying. He was asked "What's the one thing you can beat Sachin at?" The answer was, "The knowledge I have about my trade". That translates to, "The one thing I can beat Sachin is about the knowledge I have about off spin", which is the same as, "I know more about offspin than Sachin".

Try understanding it before making "misleading media" comments. Come on! (not common)

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 8:08 GMT)

This kind of response from a cricketer exposes who he is, A person who can bowl well only in INDIAN pitches especially in chepauk chennai is challenging a person with 100International TONS to his name by saying he's master of his art of OFFSPIN bowling :) really funny ~ YOUNG cricketers please learn attitude/behaviour sessions from SACHIN before practising cricket - cricinfo pls post this for the benefit of YOUNG INDIAN CRICKETERS

Posted by sweetspot on (April 4, 2012, 8:00 GMT)

What are all the complaints about? I'm glad Ashwin gave a straight answer to that cheeky question. It means he has confidence in his craft, and that is a great attribute. There have been occasions when Ashwin scored more than Sachin with the bat. Couldn't he then say he knows more about batting than Sachin? But he did not. If he was to be humble and showed fake respect and adulation that he does not have, then he won't be a bright star on the field. He will be sitting in the stands screaming "Sachin, sachin!". He was asked about the one thing he can beat Sachin at. In his place, I would have said "basketball", and many would have thought I am making fun of Sachin being short, even if I play the game better. @Cpt. Meanster - why should anyone win anyone's heart or devotion. Ashwin's job is to win matches for his team, not to become anyone's God.

What's up with the sensationalized and highly inaccurate headline?

Posted by VinodGupte on (April 4, 2012, 7:53 GMT)

since you like straightforward talk : admit that you are an average player and a mediocre fielder. you are getting lucky because dhoni prefers you over other players such as ojha. if you stop playing for CSK, your days in the national team are over. make sure you don't cross paths with dhoni.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:49 GMT)

Common CricInfo, You Too, Please Change the heading. Don't use such an attractive word formation just for publicity. Your cricketing media is an unbiased one, so please don't repeat it and don't let others think that Ashwin is saying something wrong abt sachin. He was saying that he knows mainly about offspin and can beat the knowledge. He never says he knows more about offspin than sachin. Please don't do any regional critics here as we need a healthy indian team.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:41 GMT)

ofcourse he knows more than sachin on how to bowl and about ofbreaks i mean come on he is an ofbreak bowler and a decent one as well.Sachin isn't god hell, he isnt even the greatest cricketer alive he is just another man who is a batsman and not a bowler

Posted by seenurag on (April 4, 2012, 7:39 GMT)

The indian cricket got another Kumble in the name of Ashwin.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:37 GMT)

To the question: "What's the one question the media should be banned from asking you?"... The answer should be: "Your retirement plans?"

Posted by bluebillion on (April 4, 2012, 7:28 GMT)

The sullen face of Ashwin after Sachin destroys in MI vs CSK just flashed across my eyes.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:22 GMT)

look at the question too guys. He was asked "the one thing he can beat sachin in". He is better than sachin in his trade and thats why he is there. Cut some slack guys. Its just mis interpretation of words.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:20 GMT)

I think the "over confidence" that Dhoni has shown in Ashwin has really got into his head! He is one of the most ordinary off-spin bowlers in the world, leave Murali aside, he is not even close to current offspinners like Ajmal or Swann,leading off-spinners list & the recent tour of Australia proved that. Australians dont play spin that well, still, he was literally a club level bowler against them. Forget about Tendulkar's knowledge of off-spin Ashwin, the Australians played you as if they knew more than you about your off spins!! He bowls a negative line n in T20 you automatically are effective when batsmen try to hit you, but when it comes to real test of cricket in the longer versions, I have never really seen any of the international batsmen being troubled by his spin. And he speaks about knowing more than Tendulkar about his art! Honestly, the way the batsmen played him in Australia, it seems as if all of them knew more about the art of off-spin than Ashwin. Sheer Arrogance

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

i am sure Sachin knows more about offspin than ashwin... he is just lucky that he is still in the team coz of MSD and Shrinivasan who are at the moment running Indian Cricket and the CSK

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

Still remembering those days Sachin bowling tight Offspin of 8-10 overs when india need a fifth bowler.In my opinion Sachin bowled very good Offspinners.He started his bowling career as a medium pace bowler then leg spinner.When he bowls leg spin 4-5 bowls are good with spin,loop,flight everything sometimes better than shane warne or Abdul Qadir( i like to see this man bowling!).But the last one or two balls will be long hops or fulltoses.But when he bowls offspin he bowls more good balls.So Aswin need to see those match videos again before commenting!All the best Aswin...!

Posted by endoftest on (April 4, 2012, 6:32 GMT)

About offspin question , he has just said, "The knowledge that I have about my trade - offspin bowling.I definitely know my art"....he has not he knows more than sachin .... the headline of the article is misleading as always my media. Also is there a rule in india that no one should have more knowledge about cricket more than sachin .....common he has also played like others ..this is not a favor to the country .......cricinfo please publish.

Posted by the_blue_android on (April 4, 2012, 6:22 GMT)

Just an average bowler who just got lucky. His lack of skill will be soon found out, just like in Australia. We need to test out other spinners.

Posted by Tendulkars_Tennis_Elbow on (April 4, 2012, 5:48 GMT)

Thayirsaadam! with maavadu or aavakkai? nice one ashwin :)

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 5:37 GMT)

Only cricketer who has said he knows something more than Sachin. Everybody else would have said i learned OFF Spin from sachin. Good to know some one is saying truth. EVen Shane warne said sachin knows more about legspin than me.........

Posted by varadhamaddur on (April 4, 2012, 5:14 GMT)

Vazhthukkal (Best Wishes) Ashwin... Get the IPL title third time in a row for us... All the best to our entire team... Thayirsadham matter romba super... i too love it as a brahmin....

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (April 4, 2012, 4:35 GMT)

I agree with you Ash... but come on man, you could have been a little more subtle in your response to the off spin question. Sachin is a legend and I am sure he knows something about off spin before you even started holding a cricket ball. Please show some respect and adulation to the man. It's best to show humbleness even when you know that you are better than the rest. Such an attitude wins hearts and devotion from many. Even the great Murali never said he could easily beat Sachin with his killer off breaks.

Email this page to a friend Email Feedback Feedback Print Print