Pakistan v Sri Lanka 2008-09 / News

Shootout in Lahore

Security 'left us to be sitting ducks' claims Broad

Cricinfo staff

March 4, 2009

Chris Broad: 'We were promised high level security and in our hour of need that security vanished. There was not a sign of a policeman anywhere' © PA Photos

Chris Broad landed back in Manchester and launched a stinging attack on the security in Lahore at the time of yesterday's attack which left eight people dead, while expressing his concern that the incident sounds a 'death knell' for cricket in Pakistan.

Broad, who was the ICC's match referee for the Test between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the city, accused the Pakistani authorities of leaving match officials as "sitting ducks" and claiming that players and officials arriving for the Test were not offered sufficient protection despite assurances given by the Pakistan board.

"I'm angry with the Pakistani security forces," Broad said. "We were promised high level security and in our hour of need that security vanished. There was not a sign of a policeman anywhere. They had clearly gone, left the scene and left us to be sitting ducks. I had an inkling before the Test match leg of the tour that something might happen. I certainly didn't think this was going to happen."

Broad's claims that he had flagged concerns about the security before the start of the series will raise issues. "I raised my concerns with the ICC before the tour started and they passed on those concerns to the Pakistan board. They assured me through e-mail that all security would be taken care of, presidential-style security. And clearly that didn't happen.

"When we were in the van we weren't aware of what was going on outside. But after the incident when you watch the TV pictures you can clearly see the white van we were in, next to the ambulance in the middle of a roundabout, with terrorists shooting into our van and past our van and not a sign of a policeman anywhere."

Broad has been praised for throwing himself on top of fellow official Ahsan Raza as the vehicle they were travelling in came under fire. "I am not a hero," he said. "Most of us were just waiting for a bullet to hit us."

Raza was shot in the back during the attack and rushed to Lahore's Service hospital for surgery on a collapsed right lung and a damaged liver. Hospital staff said the operation was successful.Raza's family members have said he is recovering fast and is likely to be released from the intensive care unit in the next two to three days.

Broad went on to say that some of the security forces fled when the shooting started. "At some stage … someone opened the door of the van and an elite policeman threw himself inside and lay on top of me. That wasn't particularly brave. When the shooting stopped, I shouted at him to drive us away but he said: 'I don't drive.'"

For all Broad's anger at the security concerns, he was just as dismayed at the impact that the attack could have on the future of cricket in the country. "They have a lot of very talented cricketers, and I feel sorry for the cricketers and for the cricket-mad public of Pakistan," he said. "But this is a bit of a death knell for cricket in Pakistan and I feel sorry for those people. I can't see it going on for the foreseeable future.

"Ijaz Butt, the chairman [of the PCB] has come out and said that friends will come to Pakistan but I don't think they have any friends in world cricket that will go to Pakistan after this has happened. Sri Lanka were a friendly country - they wanted to go, they wanted to support Pakistan. I don't think they will be going back and certainly India, Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa won't be keen."

Broad said the ICC would, in future, possibly have to take more direct responsibility for security arrangements rather than leaving matters to individual boards. "There are countries who have their own security experts," he said. "I know England have Reg Dickason from Australia. Dickason didn't think Pakistan was safe for anyone to go to. He was amazed the Sri Lanka tour went ahead. But he's not advising Sri Lanka.

"Maybe there's something for the ICC to look at - that they themselves take the safety concerns into consideration and make the decisions."

Posted by schmacko on (March 9, 2009, 5:23 GMT)

To all those people who say that "it could happen in any country", I ask this: how many terrorist attacks have happened in Australia in the past 10 years and how many in Pakistan? I realise that people are getting a bit jaded with terrorism, but come on.

And to all the Pakistani denialists on here, Broad was talking about security in a general sense. I'm sure he was very pleased that the meagre security that was provided fought and died to save him and others, but where was the Presidential-style security? How could 12 terrorists take down so many police and not lose one life themselves? I'll tell you. The police were either outnumbered or underprepared. I don't care how much security you say was provided at other times during the tour, at that moment it was clearly insufficient.

I hope Australia and other countries do get to one day return to Pakistan, but only when this mess is cleared up for good and not 6-9 months like Butt has ridiculously suggested.

Posted by attila_the_gorilla on (March 5, 2009, 22:41 GMT)

You can watch the video footage, the van with Chris Broad and fellow umpires was isolated and exposed at the roundabout, with a number of gun wielding terrorists running around with no sign of any security people. They left with the Sri Lankan bus. Except for 2 policemen, one of whom was hiding behind a bush, and another lying next to the van, feigning dead.

It is plain to see from the clear footage, Chris Broad`s statements are correct.

Posted by RSG476 on (March 5, 2009, 12:26 GMT)

Without sounding cynical can I understand why it was brave of Broad to drop down to the floor to cover the injured Pakistani umpire ? The entire Sri Lankan team did that, and I was curious as to why Broad's action stood apart for special mention or praise. The umpire was already badly hurt when Broad lay down on him so it could not be that Broad took bullets on his behalf. Please do not get me wrong - it was a horrible situation where people could not be expected to keep calm, and surely there was a massive breach in security. But what I do not get is why Broad is being extolled for jumping down to the floor when that is the usual reaction, and when the entire Sri Lankan team, some of whom got badly injured, did so. As for the rest of his comments, I am sure anyone who had such an ordeal would feel that there was a lack of security, but as 26/11, 7/7, 9/11 have shown, in such times, everything seems to go haywire

Posted by mahamama on (March 5, 2009, 10:28 GMT)

The reason why Broad is angry and says not particularly intelligent about the security guard throwing himself on top of him is because SECURITY GUARDS/POLICEMEN have weapons they can use to SHOOT OR ATLEAST THREATEN TO FIRE while Broad is a civilian and he may have had weapons training which is immaterial here because he is not the SECURITY GUARD and he himself claims he is not a hero for throwing himself on top of an injured official. It is cricinfo who should be blamed that people have posted such nasty comments on the pretext that the officials and players are alive and asking others to stop moaning. The comments should be monitered by cricinfo. Thilan Samaraveera might never ever be able to play in the same way before a bullet was fired on his leg. And it is the same for other players as well. SECURITYMEN SHOULD SECURE AND THEY FAILED TO DO SO IS THE POINT.

Posted by biju on (March 5, 2009, 8:06 GMT)

Broad has the right to express himself and he was one of the victims.I read some of the comments for the Pakistanies and it seems to be not a good sign.They were trying to defend their so called security who utterly failed to deal with the situation.Those who survived just because of their presence of mind not because of the police men.It is surprising that none of the terrorists has any death or injury and none of them were caputered.This shows their public support.It would have been better if they realise their mistakes rather than defending them.You can never rectify a mistake if you don't admit that.

Posted by Royy on (March 5, 2009, 7:08 GMT)

Many of the comments below reek of callous posturing or dimwitted mudslinging, as in case of chocbear_SL and da_phenom respectively. They fail to come to terms with the fact and thereby indicate that nowhere is human existence as derided as in Pakistan at this moment. Whether Broad is an official of calibre is irrelevant; the fact that the entourage was afforded such meagre and inferior security and that the match officials were left high and dry at the scene of terror is disgusting to say the least. Pakistan perennially dwells in a denial-mode, but it sinks to a new, hideous low when some posters below try to pat themselves in the back for nobody, of note, died in the incident. The gallantry of the policemen is noted, but what were they doing in an "elite security unit"? Why would people related to cricket have to go through such ghastly ordeals? Those who are slamming Broad probably smelt death only from as far as their TV screens, which adds beastly nonchalance to their denial.

Posted by pg-peeush_harsh on (March 5, 2009, 6:14 GMT)

It surprises me how a president level security is breached by 12 people. And after breaching none of them are killed and they go away leaving their arms and ammunitions. The terrorists went on foot as shown in pakistani national tv footage.... Is this the definition of presidential security !!

Posted by Ab3154 on (March 5, 2009, 4:08 GMT)

Broad and other umpires are right, its a miracle that they are alive. A very important aspect which no one is mentioning is about a white car which collided with players bus, even before gun fire began. In my view, this was most important security lapse, what if that car had explosives?. Terrorists could have succeeded then and there, which perhaps was not their goal. Not only there was no adequate security around player's convoy to stop suicide bomber, there was no plan to engage attackers and absolutely no back up. On the contrary terrorists had everything in place, which is even more shamefull. Where was intellegence, a dozen or more lads came with their guns and explosives, ambushed at a very busy place and no one saw them? Off-course few police offficers who were around, did a great job and sacrificed their lives and foiled terrorists real purpose which was (perhaps) to hijack player's bus. Except those few brave ones, everyone else failed.

Posted by All4one on (March 5, 2009, 3:15 GMT)

chocbearSL - Who were in the line of fire you or Broad? They were promised presidential security. Did they get that?

Posted by biggusdoggus on (March 5, 2009, 2:09 GMT)

I take back at least some of my previous criticism of Broad's comments. I was unaware that the umpire's van was abandoned by security at the roundabout. At the very least, the lack of communicaiton should raise some werious concerns.

Posted by All4one on (March 5, 2009, 1:47 GMT)

da_phenom you have posted your comments without reading the article or understanding it. Broad is talking about their vehicle not the players.

Posted by RG on (March 5, 2009, 0:43 GMT)

da_phenom - Chris Broad was in a van behind the team bus, and his driver was not "already driving him to safety." The reason he asked the policeman to do so was because the driver had already been shot dead.

drlimpel - he has not been diplomatic, and I certainly could understand if the families of the policemen who laid down their lives were upset at his reported comments, but I don't think he can be accused of double standards either. He has already said he doesn't consider himself a hero.

Posted by attila_the_gorilla on (March 5, 2009, 0:11 GMT)

Interesting comments by Chris Broad, I`m sure he wouldn`t be making up these things. Security and police presence may well have been poor.

Posted by Patruko on (March 4, 2009, 23:36 GMT)

Sir,

Mr Broad's comments were that of man angry from being shot at, and should not be taken as those of a security expert. Mr Broad didn't see any policeman because they were lying dead on the ground after trying to defend him and his colleagues. It should be pointed out that no cricketer or official travelling with the party lost their life, which, considering the circumstances, is nothing short of a miracle - and is at least in part due to the bravery and effectiveness of the security detail.

A phrase like, 'presidential-style security' has to be put into context; this is Pakistan. Mr Zardari is all too aware of what presidential-style security can and cannot do. That is the same style of security that let his wife, Benazir Bhutto, get assassinated on December 27, 2007.

Humbly,

PJB

Posted by deekay1 on (March 4, 2009, 23:30 GMT)

How thin skinned can you people get? broad is hardly discrediting the police who died - what he IS saying is that the security provided was inadequate given that pakistan had assured "presidential-type security".

Again, I mean no disrespect to the policemen who gave up their lives. No amount of words can ever console their families.

The Sri Lankan team needed and deserved better protection. I don't think anyone from a crack commando unit would have said "I can't drive" when faced with such a situation (if he really couldn't drive, he has no business being in an elite unit) and it is here that broad's frustration is warranted.

the sri lankan team's dignified approach to this ghastly incident means that broad has been the only one (from the people in the bus) to have lambasted the pakistani authorities. and he is well within his rights to do so.

Posted by Mad_Hamish on (March 4, 2009, 23:16 GMT)

In response to da_phenom & drlimpel As I understand it the driver of the van the umpires and Broad was in was killed (or seriously injured, I keep hearing different reports about fatalities) in the attack, the bus that the Sri Lankan team was in was where the driver kept going. So Broad's request to the policeman may have been entirely reasonable. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/story/393317.html gives details of what Broad did to try and help Ahsan Raza and it has Steve Davis' comments on the policeman who came in as well. Which isn't to say that Broad is right about everything but it does explain some of his positions.

Posted by SouthernSoftie on (March 4, 2009, 23:00 GMT)

The driver of the van which was driving Mr Broad and his colleagues was DEAD! That is the reason why he asked the elite policeman to drive. Good heavens!

Posted by Iqbal_Hasan on (March 4, 2009, 22:54 GMT)

I can easily understand Mr Broad's anger at the level of security (Imran Khan was just as angry and disgusted). If they were all promised "presidential level" protection then that was clearly lacking. I would be sure he and all the other targets would be deeply shocked and shaken at the loss of life of the cops who were there, not to mention the driver of the van he was in.

I am also sure that many of us would feel the same way if we had just been attacked on the way to a sports ground.

Posted by hjanjua on (March 4, 2009, 21:54 GMT)

I agree with Chris Broad that Pakistani Gov. has promised them high level security actually in some cases Pakistani Gov. said we will provide presidential security to cricket teams which was not true in the case of SriLankan team. But I don't agree with following statement "in our hour of need that security vanished. There was not a sign of a policeman anywhere. They had clearly gone, left the scene and left us to be sitting ducks. I had an inkling before the Test match leg of the tour that something might happen. I certainly didn't think this was going to happen." If there was no security/police how SriLankan team and other officials are alive. 5 police officers were dead saving the guests. I think this is very unfair comment by Broad. Broad was always had issues with Pakistan team/players in the past. Everybody is saying this should have happen- this should have happen. The best thing happened is all guests arrived their home safe. I am proud of Pakistani police and SriLankan Team.

Posted by Eva. on (March 4, 2009, 21:42 GMT)

I don't understand the mass criticism of Chris Broad here. He was placed in a situation of extreme danger, and is lucky to be alive, and I believe he has every right to be angry. No person, regardless of their job, status etc should have to go through such a horrendous ordeal, and I think he deserves credit for having the strength to voice his fair belief that it just isn't acceptable. I don't think he appears ungrateful to those who tragically lost their lives, I think he is angry on behalf of them, rather than in spite of them, as others are accusing. Those people should not have lost their lives, they should have been protected, by national security and by the military defences that should have been put in place. The security forces were clearly not trained or prepared for such a situation and that is why the tragedy unfolded. As for the contradictory reports, Broad was in the eye of the hurricane and i think his account is probably very accurate.

Posted by mattkel on (March 4, 2009, 21:37 GMT)

da_phenom, don't get mixed up with what happened to the players to what happened to Chris Broad and some of the officials. It's obvious that the players were taken care of in terms of police attendance but they seem to have left this van that some of the other officials were driving to the game in. Chris has every good reason to be angry!

Posted by chocbearSL on (March 4, 2009, 21:36 GMT)

I completely disagree with Mr. Broad and frankly, I'm shocked that he could issue these comments with such chutzpah. The fact that the policeman protected Mr. Broad by throwing himself on top him is courageous and selfless. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful and smacks of Western ignorance.

As a Sri Lankan, I would like to express my sincere thanks to the Pakistani forces who saved the team and a profround regret for those who lost their lives. The Sri Lankan people will not forget your sacrifice and may god bless your families. Our thoughts are with them.

Posted by bwnz on (March 4, 2009, 21:28 GMT)

Look at the facts. Please. Forget about emotion. The Sri Lankan team were targeted, along with the rest of the entourage, including the umpires and referees. Fact. Any other cricket team would have been in the same position.

The deaths involved security personnel and drivers. Fact.

It seems that there are holes in the security which leads to speculation, not least of which is these people were allowed to appear, including vehicles. This suggests some kind of local or inside influence. Which makes this place inherently unsafe and quite possibly from an inside position corrupt.

I love cricket, and I know Pakistan does too. Please make your comments wisely without this rubbish appearing about people involved.

Posted by endR on (March 4, 2009, 21:16 GMT)

There are some serious inconsistencies between the different reported versions of what actually happened. Chris Broad should be, generally speaking, a credible witness seeing as his job demands that among other things he be able to recall events clearly and objectively. Naturally he is also a first hand witness so its difficult to entirely disregard his testimony. Furthermore I'm sure he is not trying to insult the memories of the soldiers who gave their lives in the defense of the convoy. He is just stating what he experienced.

On another point, I know there are reports of a 15 minutes trading of fire between the security forces and the attackers this I find very hard to believe seeing as none of the assailants were killed. A more likely version of the events to my mind would be that the 6 or so policemen were killed almost immediately, after which the team bus evaded the attackers and the terrorists retreated.

At any rate the security measures deployed were woefully inadequate.

Posted by Kandyman on (March 4, 2009, 20:36 GMT)

This is mainly to address da_phenom... The bus that Broad was in was not driven away, that's the whole point. He wasnt in the same bus as the Lankans. Havning said all that, there were policemen who died and sympathies to them. But this was clearly a HUGE lapse in security. It's not surprising at all though, when one considers how corrupt the security organisations are in these places. It seems everyone is Pakistan has a price.

Posted by Alter.G on (March 4, 2009, 19:59 GMT)

@da_phenom: The driver in the vehicle in question was tragically shot dead, which is why the match referee asked the officer/policeman to drive. I guess you overlooked the fact that Chris Broad was travelling in a different van than the Lankans.

I take my hats off to the attempts of the security forces for trying to ward off the danger to the cricketers and officials, and putting their life at stake... but to protect civilians is their chosen profession. The bottomline is that a lapse is a lapse, and the blame unfortunately will fall squarely on the inadequate security arrangements.

Posted by libinbond on (March 4, 2009, 19:50 GMT)

@da_phenom Broad asked the policeman to drive cos the driver of the van he was traveling in was shot dead by the terrorists. Understandably he is shaken and angry that 12 people could just walk in, shoot at an international cricket team, kill policemen, and then ride away without much trouble. The ones who lost their lives, were victims of poor security arrangements with which the incident might never have occurred.

Posted by mikeindex on (March 4, 2009, 19:43 GMT)

Undoubtedly Mr Broad has been through a hideously traumatic experiance, and he appears to have responded resourcefully and courageously . It's a pity he didn't leave his actions to speak for themselves rather than coming out with a set of comments which are at least as churlish as the worst of his behaviour in his playing days.

He may or may not have a point about the general level of security provided - I'm in no position to comment. What is unquestionably true is that a) the individual policemen present were in no way responsible for there not being more of them; b) there is no reason a policeman should be able to drive if it's not part of his official duties; c) six policemen died and no players or officials did.

Posted by sfnad on (March 4, 2009, 19:35 GMT)

Mr. Broad did not explain how his criticism of the police squared with the fact that six officers died. Two bystanders were also killed during the assault.

Posted by SummerofGeorge on (March 4, 2009, 19:32 GMT)

I don't think for a minute Chris Broad is not aware of the bravery of people who died. He is rightfully angry. The people who died were mostly trained armed security personel, it is a sad fact of life that the risk of death is an integral part of their job, they knew this going in. It is not supposed to be an integral part of a cricketers job, or a match referee. Before we talk about him being "disrespectful", let's realise for a second that you don't get much more disrespectful than getting shot at on the way to work. He's not being racist or anything else, anyone moaning about that is a self pitying idiot. The question is, how did this happen, with weeks of planning by seemingly top rank security officials promising "head of State" security...how did a motley crew of gunmen get the jump on them?

You can argue "it could happen anywhere", anything can, there could be a tear in reality in my back bedroom later,in the meantime this "happened" in Pakistan. Someone needs to act.

Posted by brainmaze100 on (March 4, 2009, 19:26 GMT)

I agree their was a lapse in security. But Broad blames policemen. It is they who lost their lives. Players are alive. I think they need to be saluted for sacrificing their lives to protect these men lives.

Posted by mmene on (March 4, 2009, 19:19 GMT)

da_phenom - I am not sure if you are paying attention. The bus with the Sri Lankan cricketers had a driver and he drove them to safety. The bus with Chris Broad (and the other refs) in it had their driver killed and was stranded at the intersection till help arrived. And yes, there was a spell with no policeman at least on one side of the bus. I know that some policemen died, but if you can't see why Chris Broad is furious then you have lost your sense of proportionality. Chris warned the ICC and PCB that this is the kind of thing he was worried about and he was assured that there were foolproof arrangements in place with Presidential level security. After that if the exact same thing happens that he predicted he has a right to be concerned. Anyone who thinks that the concerns about this incident and about security for cricketers in Pakistan are exaggerated really needs to get a sense of perspective. Look at what PCB officials and cricketers are saying.

Posted by da_phenom on (March 4, 2009, 18:20 GMT)

"At some stage … someone opened the door of the van and an elite policeman threw himself inside and lay on top of me. That wasn't particularly brave. When the shooting stopped, I shouted at him to drive us away but he said: 'I don't drive.'" With all due respect, the driver was already driving you to safety!!!!! why on earth would you want the police man to drive?!??!?! You owe a huge gratification to the driver in particular who heroically drove you dry. Not to mention the brave policeman who took the shots upon themselves inorder to save you. Yeah there was a security lapse of huge proportions but "there were no signs of a policeman"??????!!?!!! You sure you havent gone absurd and need to see a neurologist?! yu seriously dont know the policemen fought em and got themselves killed but saved you? yeah the terrorists escaped easy and there are alot of mysterious to be unrevelled but you have no right exaggerating for the sake of it.

Posted by drlimpel on (March 4, 2009, 18:18 GMT)

Expressing your dissatisfaction with the security arrangements is one thing but going on to disrespect the very people who laid their lives on the line to save your meaningless existence is another. I am confused here, if a policeman throws himself on top of Broad its an act of cowardice, however if Broad does the same thing the idiot is hailed as a hero. Double standards don't you think? At least Muralitharan and Sangakarra had the decency and grace to pay homage to the true heroes of the day, despite being injured during the incident themselves, this man escaped without so much as a scratch on his body and still he is questioning the courage shown by the security personnel!

Posted by HiyerNHiyer on (March 4, 2009, 17:52 GMT)

I agree with Broads comments that there should have been much greater security given that there was trouble anticpated. My question is what if it was the Pakistan team bus that had been attcked? who would be responsible for that?? and what about the 6 cops who lost their lives..why did they have to lose their lives and who is accountable for that?? Cmon guys. Lets face the fact that this is a major lapse given the volatile situation in Pakistan and the Sub Continent. We may end up losing the world cup to some other country..IPL Postponed, Champions trophy gone etc etc.. There neeeds to be a much stronger security arrangement to take care of not just high profile sportsmen but also the common man. Pakistan was lucky to get away with only 6 cassualties, what if the tally was higher.. who would answer the families??. Today the need of the hour is solidarity and unity as anything that affects say a Pakistan or a Bangladesh or a Srilanka affects India as well as we are neighbours!!

Posted by omairhameed on (March 4, 2009, 17:45 GMT)

thank you mr. broad for all the information you provided about the security.i don't believe a presidential sort of security was offered, and that's really sad.but,what do u expect of a policeman who doesn't know to drive a van?i mean, if you expect him to take a chance and drive, there were well and gud chances of he driving you to a worng place GOD FORBID! right infront and put you all in worst danger.and if you are talking about bravery,let me tell you, when the bullets are over,(and hopefully you don't expect them to carry a bag of bullets per policeman that might last for an hour) you expect him to go right infornt of the terrorist and die.instead, he was smart and kind to come in and protect you"the hero"by lying on top of you,saving you first and himself next(as he would recieve the first bullet if ever it comes through).And i wonder what are you trying to claim,by saying that there wasn't anyone outside fighting.Was he enjoying the whether out there?i don't think so.Say sorry!!!

Posted by snizami87 on (March 4, 2009, 17:26 GMT)

Broad you should be thankful to the security team that you have arrived back safely and in one piece! It is those security men who gave their lives to save you people. Don't be ungrateful.

Posted by satsi00 on (March 4, 2009, 17:22 GMT)

I totally agree with Mr Broad's statement that in the first place they were not provided any security to be of Head of State standard and secondly where were the security people when their van was being attacked at that round about???? No answer!!! Surprising, it seems more of a deliberate lapse in security than anything else.

Posted by HamzaZafar on (March 4, 2009, 17:21 GMT)

After reading the story, I think that blaming Police for not being on the road or during the ambush is not correct. I have seen the videos of that event myself and have studied various reports from National and International resources, and I have no doubt in claiming that police was already out there, counter-striking the terrorists (6 policemen died, 16 injured during the incident)and the most important part, according to an Intel, the aim of terrorists was to hijack the bus and kidnap them, instead of killing them (as that would obviously be more useful)and if the security wouldn't have been provided, that would've clearly happened (God forbid)

As a Pakistani, I feel really sorry from the depth of my heart for all SriLankan players, and other people with them who got injured, and I hope and pray that you recover from your injuries real soon.

Posted by TrexTrainer on (March 4, 2009, 17:07 GMT)

Look at all the Pakistani comments. Unless they come to grips with reality and give up being in denial, nothing will ever change. Same with Mumbai attacks, after which they interviewed a lot of regular folk on the streets in the cities of Pakistan none of them gave an iota of admission that they might have been trained inside their country. For Pete's sake at least admit Broad might have been right. There is nothing wrong that, nobody is speaking against you as an individual. Don't take it personally. Everyone is talking about the situation in the country as a whole. At the moment, sports is what will keep your society together but, in order for sports to help Pakistan it needs help from it's society too.

Posted by Azfar on (March 4, 2009, 17:04 GMT)

The point is not whether the police did their bit or not. The point is that, when the Pakistan authorities promised the Sri Lankans and the match officials 'Head of State' security, then why was the Punjab Police deployed and not elite commandos. Why were bullet proof vehicles not provided? The driver Mohammad Khalil's presence of mind & bravery has been the only saving grace. Murali has asked some pertinent questions - how come the terrorists knew the exact route & the exact timing? Every sports loving Pakistani is hanging his head in shame. Here was the Sri Lankans who showed exemplary courage & friendship to tour Pakistan when everyone else refused, and how badly they have been let down by the Pakistan Govt.

Posted by Yucca on (March 4, 2009, 17:02 GMT)

I am a cricket lover but I am losing respect for the media here and some players that are making more fuss than they should be about the fact that a cricket team was attacked. PEOPLE DIED the people that got away were lucky but these comments are a huge direspect to those and their families that have lost people trying to save these other humans. Just because they are sportsman should not mean that they overshadow the deaths of others.

Posted by vish515 on (March 4, 2009, 17:00 GMT)

All the posts here questioning broad - i have only one question to ask these people - who "WAS" present in the scene of terror ?? Broad should know -he was in the middle of it all and has escaped death.If he says there was lapse then the authorities should do well to believe it and investigate whether broads' assertion is true or not instead of blindly going in denial mode(again)

Posted by zwartedepiet on (March 4, 2009, 16:55 GMT)

Chris Broad! Ok, security could've been better. But in this article he mentions only the policeman who jumped into his van for cover, and labels him a coward. No mention at all of the six policeman who gave their lives to save him. shame.

Posted by ASKhan on (March 4, 2009, 16:42 GMT)

I agree with broad's coments. Lets be honest and analyze. I dont think the best people in competence and quantity were given the job for security. No wonder those unfortunate untrained cops lost their lives and not a single attacker was captured. The security should have been the top priority as it has been critisized by most countires and only one chance and light of hope was emerged because of courage from Srilankans.

Posted by wibcl on (March 4, 2009, 16:26 GMT)

First of all, I am very happy that all the players and officials are safe. I feel sorry for the all the policemen died in this incident. Mr. broad should understand that this could happen in any country and praise the efforts of the security people who have saved his life.

Posted by ColdRain on (March 4, 2009, 16:24 GMT)

not somewhat related to article, but i saw the speech given by punjab governor on how it only took 20 mins for security to arrive, got over with firing and what not as opposed to how long it took for India to fight terror attack few months ago in mumbai. SERIOUSLY??? no responsibility taken for what just happend in your own yard, and still comparing to others? Point is that attack happend on highly valuable guests of country who can show rest of the world that Pakistan is not that bad. I was never in favor of politics getting in way of sports, but apparently i'm being proven wrong, and i hate it.

"change yourself if you'd like to see the change in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Posted by fmrana on (March 4, 2009, 16:22 GMT)

Everyone agree that this was a major security lapse. But why was Mr. Chris Broad silent till the 2nd last day of the series. His statement does not do justice to the brave men who laid down their lives so that guests like him may live.

Posted by NORTH_STARS on (March 4, 2009, 16:19 GMT)

well...let them (PCB) pay the price BAN any ICC level of cricket in Pakistan at least for 10 YEARS...

"THE COURT IS ADJOURN."

Posted by faziz on (March 4, 2009, 16:12 GMT)

Broad like many other Englishmen has been armed with amunition to stick it to Pakistan. Fair enough. However, I find it troubling for the PCB Chairman to even entertain questions about the future of tours to Pakistan, when he should only be concentrating on the well being of the visitors, the officials, and the many who died.

Posted by Nalaik on (March 4, 2009, 16:00 GMT)

What rubbish!!! I'd like to see Mr. Broad say what he said to the families of the 6 security officers who gave their lives while defending the Sri Lankan team and officials! There may or may not be gaps in the security provided to the teams, but to say that 'there was not a sign of a policeman anywhere' is absurd. He seems to have missed the fact that there was a 30 minute gun battle with the security team that enabled the team bus to escape the scene. Chris Broad should apologise to the families of those who gave their lives in trying to protect him and others on the scene!

Posted by edward_smythe on (March 4, 2009, 15:50 GMT)

Now I know we are all supposed to sing from the 'vast majority of peace-loving people' and 'this could happen anywhere' songsheet, but can someone answer this question first: Were the security 'lapses' accidental, or deliberate?

Posted by Malikali9 on (March 4, 2009, 15:48 GMT)

Lambora, you may have ur opinion but blaming sports and common man's joy of watching their players playing by banning the cricket in a country due to action of few extremist is another extermism!!! the problem of terrorism is every where from London to Bombay to Columbo!!! who and how many will be banned? Lets play sports and not games!

Posted by VimKal on (March 4, 2009, 15:44 GMT)

I don't think highly of Broad as a match referee. I think he is one of the worst in the ICC because of his prejudice against subcontinent players.

However, i applaud Broad for the courage he showed under fire. It was brave of him to try and protect his colleague in the midst of such a situation.

You sir, are a hero & as always we agree to disagree.

Posted by Agnostic_Muslim on (March 4, 2009, 15:39 GMT)

Other eyewitness accounts that contradict Mr. Broad's version of the events: "Gavin Scovell, a sports producer and a witness to the attacks applauded the security detail for their rapid and calm response. In a press release, he stated:

"The guards were brilliant. They weren't panicking. They were very calm," Scovell said. "It must have been a terrifying experience, but they handled it well.""

This from Time: "According to eyewitnesses and police accounts, the police commandos and the attackers were locked in a gun battle for 15 minutes. "One of the police commandos came out into the open and began firing at them," says Mohammed Waqas, 25, a travel agent who was also on his way to work. "I don't think he survived. The other commandos used their cars for protection. But the gunmen escaped.""

Posted by Agnostic_Muslim on (March 4, 2009, 15:36 GMT)

Broad's comments about being left as 'sitting ducks' are absurd adna complete distortion of the situation. Had the police left he bus unguarded, and not engaged the gunmen, the driver would likely have not been able to get away.

Mr. Broad conveniently forgets that there was 15 to 30 minute gun battle between teh police and the gunmen - what does he think was happening during that time? The terrorists were playing cops and robbers amongst themselves and pretending to shoot at each other.

Mr. Broad's comments are unfortunate and slanderous, and he owes an apology to the Punjab po9lice and Pakistan for them.

Posted by Manzar_Alam on (March 4, 2009, 15:31 GMT)

No matches should be stage in Pakistan unless something improves but it doesnt mean team is boycotted..ICC never boycotted to play match with Zimbabwe.. they never taken the status away esp for test as the team was miserable and there are human right issues and racism was going on in the board as it was with South Africa and they were ban as well.... I dont know from where u got the news tht Zimbabwe team boycotted...get your stats right.. Zimbabwe played intl matches recently...

Posted by MustansarSohail on (March 4, 2009, 15:29 GMT)

That is so ungrateful of him. Six brave men sacrificed their lives. What message is sending out to those families that lost their loved ones. Bad timing Broad. I'm disappointed.

Posted by ham1 on (March 4, 2009, 15:26 GMT)

Chris Broad is unthankful. While the incident was tragic to say the least, and a higher level of security should have been provided, as promised; I think Chris Broads reaction is disrespectful!

Six pakistani policemen died to protect the Sri Lankan team and staff; a mention on thier sacrafice would be nice.

Posted by lambora on (March 4, 2009, 14:53 GMT)

Now when the situation in Zimbabwe was like this this..ICC have boycotted to play any match in Zimbabwe and with the Zimbabwean Team, why the ICC don't boycott the Pakistan cricket team. Why the Australian are ready to play on a neutral venue. I think they must boycott the Pakistan Team.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose