- not out53700166.66not out123511400.00Extras7 (lb 1, w 6)TOTAL153/7 (20 Overs, RR: 7.65)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (Mohammad Shahzad, 2.5 ov), 2-44 (Noor Ali Zadran, 8.1 ov), 3-46 (Karim Sadiq, 9.3 ov), 4-51 (Mohammad Nabi, 10.6 ov), 5-112 (Samiullah Shinwari, 16.3 ov), 6-132 (Shafiqullah, 18.4 ov), 7-136 (Asghar Afghan, 18.6 ov)
- not out83568383148.21not out21101731210.00Extras5 (b 4, w 1)TOTAL155/4 (18.5 Overs, RR: 8.23)Fall of wickets: 1-41 (Dinesh Chandimal, 5.2 ov), 2-58 (Lahiru Thirimanne, 8.4 ov), 3-85 (Thisara Perera, 12.1 ov), 4-113 (Chamara Kapugedera, 15.1 ov)
Player Of The Match
Hours of play (local time)
- Powerplay: Overs 0.1 - 6.0 (Mandatory - 36 runs, 1 wicket)
- Afghanistan: 50 runs in 10.3 overs (63 balls), Extras 5
- Afghanistan: 100 runs in 15.5 overs (95 balls), Extras 6
- 5th Wicket: 50 runs in 29 balls (Asghar Stanikzai 28, Samiullah Shenwari 21, Ex 1)
- Asghar Stanikzai: 50 off 42 balls (2 x 4, 3 x 6)
- Afghanistan: 150 runs in 19.5 overs (119 balls), Extras 7
- Innings Break: Afghanistan - 153/7 in 20.0 overs (Dawlat Zadran 5, Najibullah Zadran 12)
- Powerplay: Overs 0.1 - 6.0 (Mandatory - 41 runs, 1 wicket)
- Sri Lanka: 50 runs in 7.4 overs (46 balls), Extras 0
- TM Dilshan: 50 off 37 balls (4 x 4, 2 x 6)
- Sri Lanka: 100 runs in 14.1 overs (85 balls), Extras 4
- Sri Lanka: 150 runs in 18.4 overs (112 balls), Extras 5
A stoic 56-ball 83 from Tillakaratne Dilshan helped Sri Lanka record their first win of their T20 World Cup campaign by beating a gritty Afghanistan by six wickets at the Eden Gardens on Thursday.
With the colourful hair, gold pendants and ear studs Tillakaratne Dilshan is a bit like the embarrassing dad but his team would have struggled without him against Afghanistan
In a match including a high number of errors, it was Afghanistan's mistakes that ultimately proved more costly - but they still pushed Sri Lanka hard
Plays of the day from the Group 1 clash between Afghanistan and Sri Lanka
A calmly compiled 56-ball 83 from Tillakaratne Dilshan steered Sri Lanka to a heart-rate-steadying six-wicket win in their opening match of the World T20, but not before Afghanistan reminded them and the rest of Group 1 that they belonged in the Super 10s
Runs scored by Dilshan in his first 7 T20Is innings this year. He scored unbeaten 75 in his last inning before today and another half-century in this match.
No. of higher T20I totals by associates against top-eight teams, than Afghanistan's 153/7 today. Netherlands had made 163/6 vs Eng, Lord's, 2009 WT20.
Runs scored by Afghanistan in the last 10 overs today, which is more than twice the number of runs they made in the first 10 overs - 47.
No. of 50s for Asghar Stanikzai as captain in T20Is - joint-most among players from associate sides. Collins Obuya and William Porterfield also have 3 50s as captain.
No. of wickets by Rangana Herath in WC T20, in 7 matches including today. In T20Is outside WC T20, he has picked up just 5 wkts in 7 matches.
Runs scored by Mohammad Shahzad in the three qualifiers - 61 v Sco, 41 v HK and 40 v Zim. He is out for 8 runs in his team's first match of the main round.
Number of T20Is between Sri Lanka and Afghanistan, before this match. They both have faced each other twice in ODIs, which were both won by Sri Lanka.
|Super 10 Group 1|
|Super 10 Group 2|
|First Round Group A|
|First Round Group B|