Western Australia bounced back late in the day after starting off strongly then being under the pump during the middle session of their pre-season match with Victoria.

Victoria were dismissed for 309 and with only one over to face before stumps Western Australia were seven without loss.

Matthew Elliott and Jason Arnberger opened the Victorian innings after Victoria had won the toss. The plan was to bat all day if possible, but by the first drinks break (16 overs) they had compiled just 13 runs with the loss of one wicket.

Arnberger fell in the fourth over, when Sean Cary had him caught at second slip by Chris Rogers for one (15 balls) and the score was 1/1.

Both Cary and Western Warriors newcomer Paul Wilson (formerly with South Australia) bowled economicly in this period.

Elliott (34 runs from 100 balls with six fours) struck Harvey to the boundary several times when the bowler over-pitched, but fell to Michael Clark driving to Shaun Marsh at mid-wicket, second wicket down with the score on 41 in the 31st over.

Brad Hogg bowled a solitary over immediately before lunch, during which one run short was signaled by umpire Andy Craig from the last ball of that over. Otherwise Victoria would have gone to lunch on 50/2, but fell short by that run.

Graeme Rummans seven (73) struggled through the first session and then was caught behind by Ryan Campbell to become Clark's second wicket, third ball after the lunch break with the score 49/3.

Brad Hodge and Michael Klinger powered through the early part of the second session resisting the efforts of Clark, Cary and Wilson and passing 100 in the 46th over and achieving a 50-run partnership.

Then with the second session drinks break looming Klinger edged to wicket-keeper Campbell during Wilson's second spell of the day and was out for 26 (38 balls) with the score 100/4.

Cary chipped in for his second wicket in next over, striking the stumps at the very top when Hodge 28 (54) played around the ball driving toward the off side. The fifth wicket fell with 106 on the board.

At tea Victoria had bolted to 168/5 with White on 31 (48) and Jewell on 28 (31) and an unbroken 78-run partnership.

The run out of Nick Jewell 37 (43) occurred when Cameron White called the striker through after Jewell had pushed a ball from Nicholson into Shawn Marsh at mid-wicket and the throw to the non-striker's end found him short. Jewell half-turned toward his partner as he departed the ground seemingly indicating a lack of communication as the main reason for his demise.

At the third session drinks break White 64 (103) and Darren Berry 25 (49) had moved the score along to six wickets for 235 from 80 overs. The new ball was taken then.

Berry 34 (62) took the majority of the strike during a period of nine overs, including the drinks break. The new ball was also taken during this period but he frequently hitting fours either side of the wicket. Then, in the third over after the final session's drinks break, he played a ball on which had seamed into the right-hander from Wilson to become the burly bowler's second victim for the day.

White 70 (127) also had a problem with the new ball, playing and missing a few times, before he feathered an edge to Kade Harvey at first slip and became Wilson's third victim.

Harwood 15 (23) didn't really settle. He played what, in the end could have been a slips practice catch to the second slip Chris Rogers off the bowling of Cary and became the veteran fast-medium pacer's third scalp.

Hewett 34 saw off Cary and his replacement Kade Harvey with regular crossings of the boundary. Matthew Nicholson too took some stick but ultimately prevailed with his only wicket for the day. Mathew Inness finished the innings unbeaten.