Wasim, Salim, Ijaz named in departmental sides (28 August 1999)
Karachi, Aug 27: The three suspended Pakistan Test stars will represent their respective departments in the forthcoming 1999- 2000 domestic cricket season
28-Aug-1999
28 August 1999
Wasim, Salim, Ijaz named in departmental sides
The Dawn
Karachi, Aug 27: The three suspended Pakistan Test stars will
represent their respective departments in the forthcoming 1999-
2000 domestic cricket season.
Habib Bank have included Salim Malik and Ijaz Ahmad in their 25-
man provisional squad while Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)
have retained their captain Wasim Akram.
The three are set to be seen in action in the National One-day
Championship starting from Sept 20. They will also be eligible
for selection in the Quaid-i-Azam Trophy scheduled to start in
October.
The officials of the two departments, requesting not be to
identified, argued that they picked the three players because
they were not informed by the cricket administrators about their
suspension at domestic level also.
They added that they had also withheld their teams until the last
date of the deadline (Aug 25) after being informed that the
decision about their suspension would be communicated to them.
"We were told that the decision by the judicial commission would
be announced before Aug 25. But when the decision didn't come nor
we received anything from the ad hoc committee, we decided to
include their names," they said.
The department organizers observed that as far as they thought,
the suspension was temporary. They added that if they were
exonerated, they would become eligible for selection while in the
other case they would be banned for life.
"If we had not picked them and the players had been acquitted, we
would then have had to pay Rs 10,000 for their registration.
"Now we have included them with an understanding with the
Domestic Tournament Monitoring Committee (DTMC) that if the three
players are banned for life, we would be allowed replacements
without depositing any registration fee," they said.
If 1994-95, Salim Malik was suspended by the then ad hoc
committee of Javed Burki for seven months. During that period,
he, along with Ijaz Ahmad, was not allowed to play for Habib Bank
in the Patron's Trophy match at Sahiwal despite the fact that the
two players had travelled all the way from Lahore to participate
in that match and the bank had nothing in writing regarding the
future of the two players.
The chairman of the ad hoc committee Mujeeb-ur-Rehman said from
Islamabad that it has not been decided yet whether the three
players would be allowed to participate in the domestic circuit.
He said there was a possibility that the situation would be clear
before Sept 20 "But if it doesn't, then we will cross the bridge
when it comes," indicating that the final decision regarding
their appearance would be taken around Sept 17 if the judicial
commission doesn't announce its decision.
He, however, minced no words in saying that if the judicial
commission named any of the players involved in foul-play "they
would not only be banned from international cricket but also from
domestic circuit."
Source :: The Dawn (www.dawn.com)