World Twenty20 2012

Shakib riled by Bangladesh's lack of grit

Mohammad Isam

September 27, 2012

Shakib Al Hasan scored 84, Bangladesh v Pakistan, World Twenty20 2012, Group D, Pallekele, September 25, 2012
Shakib Al Hasan scored the best T20 innings by a Bangladesh batsman, but said he was annoyed by the lack of commitment in the field © AFP

Shakib Al Hasan voiced his frustration at Bangladesh's early exit from the World T20s saying that the team should have taken the match against Pakistan to last five overs from "where it could [have gone] either way. But it seemed we were never in the game." Shakib also added the team's failure to do "elementary" things was annoying.

Pakistan reached the target of 176 runs with eight balls to spare. A few overs earlier, in the 16th, they completed the progress to the Super-Eights when they crossed the 139-run mark that gave them a better net run-rate than Bangladesh.

He explained how, while fielding, the basics went missing; the lack of commitment too peeved Shakib. "I didn't like the way we lost. We should have been lively after scoring 175, saved around fifteen runs while fielding. I'm talking about elementary things like standing 10 yards inside the boundary on the larger side of the ground. This is just a matter of common sense," he told Bangla daily Prothom Alo in Kandy.

"These things annoy me because neither the captain nor I can tell this every ball. Then the fielder doesn't put in the dive as the ball nears the boundary line. The dive may not work but at least the action inspires another fielder. The others will run beside the ball, without diving, seeing this,".

"This is what I expected from the team when I was the captain and even now when I'm not the captain. I think I will expect these things all the time. If we had done everything properly and lost, I wouldn't have felt so bad. I would have thought, 'they are a better team on paper and on the field and as a result we lost'. The disappointment would have been two out of 10, now it is six."

Shakib's criticism of the level of commitment is significant and though he has landed in hot water in the past for giving a forthright point of view, this time it is quiet justified. Bangladesh have now failed to qualify to the second stage in all of their last four appearances in global events starting from the 2009 World Twenty20s. They had a long build-up to this campaign but it amounted to nothing after they were struck down by Brendon McCullum's second Twenty20 international century in their first group game before giving it away to Pakistan.

Their point of inspiration should have been the way Shakib bounced back after a poor day against New Zealand. His 54-ball knock put him on top of individual scores made by a Bangladeshi in T20Is, beating Nazimuddin's 81.

"I don't normally plan anything when I go out to bat in a T20 game. After the first game against New Zealand, I realised that if I bat naturally I can have a 110-120 strike rate. I didn't have to force things. So against Pakistan when I had gathered enough confidence, I started playing my shots," he said, adding that he only thought of going for the hundred in the final over of the Bangladesh innings. "From a personal point of view, I had a good day. But the disappointment was to see the game being given away."

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's correspondent in Bangladesh

RSS Feeds: Mohammad Isam

Posted by tushar35 on (September 30, 2012, 16:56 GMT)

Sorry for the cut off, when you express your frustration, you probably don't pay attention to your limitations. Anyways my other lines were are as follows;

What good are you than India and Sri Lanka in that manner? When it comes to security questions, we the 16 crore people of Bangladesh along with the BD team were concerned. BCB had no choice but to postpone the trip. We love our BD team, whatever and how ever they are. Some day the workd will see. I did not want to hurt your feelings, but this is the fact. Please take other things in consideration before make any comments. Again I apologize, if I hurt your feeling.

Posted by tushar35 on (September 30, 2012, 15:33 GMT)

@ da_man_, Thank you for being a well wisher of BD team. I don't know how old are you, if you are more than 25-26 years old, you should remember and realize the fact. Let's not talk about how many times India has invited BD team, let's talk about Pakistan. Before the entire test playing countries decided not to visit Pakistan, how many times Pakistan has invited Bangladesh in Pakistan? Bangladesh won the ICC trophy in 1997. By winning the tournament, Bangladesh qualified for the 1999 Cricket World Cup for the first time, where they defeated Pakistan, creating one of the biggest upsets in their cricketing history. Bangladesh got the status of a Test playing country on 26 June 2000. After that we all hoped, Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka will come forward and play as many matches as possible. With due respect to Pakistan and you, I want to ask you a question, how many times has Pakistan invited Bangladesh to Pakistan or came to Bangladesh besides Asia Cup or World Cup? What good are you t

Posted by da_man_ on (September 30, 2012, 0:49 GMT)

@FOTO: Pakistan invited team BD for a series, which you guys declined. THE BD security team were happy, so don't peddle out that sorry excuse. Your management changed their decision a few weeks before the start of the series at the behest of BCCI. Let's see if India ever invites you over for a series, or continues to avoid you. I wish team BD all the best, but you guys have to take every opportunity with both hands. Having a series against Pak may have helped you in that crunch game...

Posted by hasib9 on (September 29, 2012, 18:35 GMT)

Bangladesh has 4 PLAYERS (Shakib, Razzak, Tamim, and Mortaza) and 7 PEOPLE in the team. We need to have about 8 to 10 players capable of winning matches. Definitely need a good fast bowler to back Mortaza in the opening spell, an opening partner for Tamim, a middle order, and a finisher/power hitter towards the end. Most of the time I play much much better cricket than Mushfiq, Mahmudullah, and Ashraful. They play good cricket once every year (look at their averages and strike rates). Playing good once in a blue-moon is not enough to be a top team. Bring Aftab Ahmed back.

Posted by   on (September 29, 2012, 16:50 GMT)

It need to change Bangladesh captain. sakib or mashrafi will be good for the team. mushfiq not lead the team proper way. should need a change now.

Posted by FOTO on (September 28, 2012, 22:34 GMT)

I have to agree with Shakib. He did good critizism I am a huge BD fan but be honest people. Do you really think that T20 is a game to judge ripping full-member status? Ireland and Afghanistan gets out very quickly with other associate members in ODI's. Do you think that can be a test playing nation? Ireland lost many games to BD and they are mostly Ireland all out all out. Afghanistan has good pace bowling. Better than BD but only 2 batsmen perform in a game and the rest are gone out. To be honest, I think BD should keep their test status. by 2020 they will only play 16 test matches. Very very tragic. Look how many Indian players or England players play test. One player might play more than any games BD has ever played. But BD should realize to take on more tasks and touring other places. They should know how to play outside home because they have a bad record of playing games away. As for the captaincy. I think Mushfiq is a good captain. THough he needs to get his field/bowl plan righ

Posted by WorldWideCricket on (September 28, 2012, 20:53 GMT)

@PACERONE: Why did you forget about ZIM who played superbly (!) ? Shouldn't they be dropped , before dropping BD and WI? BD and WI are way better than ZIM.

Posted by Harmony111 on (September 28, 2012, 20:37 GMT)

Shakib played one good knock and feels riled at the loss? SRT has played like this all his life and has seen his team losing many a times. He never said anything.

Posted by   on (September 28, 2012, 19:22 GMT)

in every game all the bangladeshi players should give their hundred persent commitment and play for their country, otherwise they will not win never ever. BCB also understand some points which are 1.bring only fast bowling coach from WESTINDIES. 2.make fast bowling pitch. 3.arrange more fast class matchs for a team with test nations country. 4.bring jhonty rohdes as a fielding coach.5.select a captain who has vast knowledge of game plan and talented. 6.whoever is not performing drop him and give chance to others.

Posted by himohan007 on (September 28, 2012, 12:30 GMT)

I think if Shakib knocks ECB door they might grab him with both hands kicking out English Best Alrounder Broad...lol...

Posted by   on (September 28, 2012, 8:06 GMT)

I am always believe that BD is a very ordinary team and sure they have some quality players but as a team they are playing well below par. They were in the international scene for quite long time but the team looks one dimensional. They will play better in spin friendly conditions. But in seam pitches they were not. Except Murtaza none of their fast bowlers are up to international level. Sorry BD friends you need to develop lot otherwise the team like Afganistan will over take you. They are the team to watch. If they got enough opportunities they will be one of the best asian team.

Posted by pavel22441 on (September 28, 2012, 7:44 GMT)

I bet with my freind that that mahmud ullah will go for duck. And he did that, thanks mahmudullah ,1 got 1000 taka for u.

Posted by joseyesu on (September 28, 2012, 5:41 GMT)

It is all because of ASIA CUP. Had Bangladesh was not in final, nobody would have had expectation of BD. It is SURPRISE only if they WIN. SHAKIB you are on the wrong end.

Posted by   on (September 28, 2012, 3:40 GMT)

Shakib should not be talk too much and make criticism about his team and team mats with press. Any comments about team performance shall be highlight by captain or team management. Shakib certainly a good cricketer i hope he will be more concentrate his batting and bowling rather than enganged himself unncessary press briefing.

Posted by tushar35 on (September 28, 2012, 2:32 GMT)

The sad thing is now they realized that Bangladesh needs good fast bowlers. The problem was there from the very beginning. Fast bowlers are not something that will appear overnight. The pace bowlers they have right now, someone needs to teach them how to maintain their line and length. Fast over pitch ball from a pacer is not going to help the team. India does not have real fast bowlers but look at Zahir Khan's bowling. I agree with Shakib, most of the players have lack of commitment. They need to play for their country. They should not give up till the last ball. They really need to do something with the fielding. Other cricketers should follow Shakib and his commitment to the team and country. I am a huge fan of Shakib. Good luck Bangladesh on their next cricket match. Its good to see Tamim is in good form now a days.

Posted by Aussie_Cricket on (September 28, 2012, 1:15 GMT)

Shakib is the main reason Bangladesh are even semi competitive ATM. Without him they may as well just play associate countries. He's spot on in terms of needing the hunger, even a mediocre team with a winning attitude can produce results if they drive themselves.

He can always come play for Australia :)

Posted by   on (September 28, 2012, 0:43 GMT)

I think its time BCB put pressure on our wicket keeper captain by giving more opportunities to Jaharul or even our young under 19 captain Anamul in his place. I am not questioning his wicket keeping or captaincy but rather its his batting which is below par for a long time. Regarding Shakib I believe he is a good all round cricketer and can only be given the tag of 'world-class' when he is part of a winning team. In my view he has given good views but rather than criticizing his fellow team members publicly for lack of commitment on the field he should have dealt with it by speaking with them personally. After all cricket is a team game and it all boils down to whether a team wins or loses.And a team can only win if it has a good bunch of talented and hard working individuals with very good understanding between them. Unity and mental toughness is essential to win matches. I also hope we will soon have some consistent batters and world class fast bowlers in our team.

Posted by SylhetiBangladeshiCricketExpert4u on (September 27, 2012, 22:21 GMT)

@WickyRoy.paklover - Yeah and as if "World Class" Spinner Ajmal and Hafeez didnt get hit for boundaries by shakib...alongside gul and tanvir

Posted by PACERONE on (September 27, 2012, 22:14 GMT)

I feel very sorry for Shakib.He is truly one of the good cricketers in the world.He could play on any team..playing all formats of the game.Along with Hafeez,Watson and Kallis they are the only true all rounders in the game.I hope that the authorities start dropping the players that are under performing before it gets worse.Teams like Bangladesh and W.I who were playing terrible cricket should be dropped and other teams promoted.The problem of the bowler hitting the stump and the ball been called a dead ball should be cleared up before it gets worse.In the T20,suppose he bowls a bad ball and is hit for 6 and knocks over the stump...if a dead ball is called then the batsman is the one penalized.The BALL SHOULD BE CALLED A NO_BALL.That way the ball will count as 7 and he has to bowl another ball,which should be a Free HIT.

Posted by Desihungama on (September 27, 2012, 20:18 GMT)

I am sorry Sakib but I think you guys played real well and this from a Pak supporter. It was a batting paradise, though you could have bowled bit better but I guess this is what you are also implying. No shame here. Twenty20 is an entertainment cricket and both teams lived up to provide one. Get your guys ready for the ODI's and Test matches.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

Though I'm sorry to say Bangladesh are still a minnow unless they win some series for once but I do like your player Shakib Al Hasan and put him along with Shane Watson amongst the 2 best all-rounders in World Cricket today considering their performances have been consistent with both bat and ball even field. Can someone tell me how long he has been a best all-rounder in days, months and/or year because in his wiki page, it says he first became number 1 in 2009 which is very impressive.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 19:15 GMT)

ODI is best sort of cricket for Bangladesh... change of captain in t20... Bangladesh need good fast bowler... nazmul and mash good in odi... rubel is good bowler as well, if we had him and mash instead of abul and shafiul in t20 squad maybe something different would have happened.

Posted by johnathonjosephs on (September 27, 2012, 19:06 GMT)

When that guy dropped Imran Nazir, it was curtains for Bangladesh. Sad, because it may have been an interesting battle if that man actually caught the catch

Posted by cyberstudent on (September 27, 2012, 18:19 GMT)

Bangladesh should take M. Akram as a bowling coach from Pakistan.. he is very talented..he nearly ruined Pakistan's Bowling Attack... and he is below Yasir Arafat in bowling..he will guide them to victory.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 16:27 GMT)

Great Comments Sakib Vhai

Posted by Mustaquim on (September 27, 2012, 16:10 GMT)

BD also need two world class fast bowlers.spinners will not win d game all d time.and if u wanna rely on spinners u must have one good off or leg spinner.

Posted by ExtremeSpeed on (September 27, 2012, 16:09 GMT)

Shakib should come as a vice-captain rather than captain in my view and I would still keep Rahim because he only makes silly little mistakes but in crucial moments so allowing Shakib as a vice-captain will make Rahim think twice because Mahmudullah is not really doing anything. As for Shakib's quality well from the moment everyone saw him when he made his debut at 19, he immediately started with a bang with brilliant performances consistently so it was obvious he was a special player. People say he only just performs against lower opposition ha this match against Pakistan with both bat and ball says otherwise infact he scored 2 50s against Pakistan in a row at Asia Cup, a 100 and 5 wicket haul against Pakistan in his last test match plus an ODI 100 against Pakistan IN Pakistan what more could you ask for from him? Mind you he's only 25 and still nowhere near his peak yet and once a legend like Kallis leaves the game then he will most likely dominate these all-rounder rankings.

Posted by FrenchCricketFan on (September 27, 2012, 15:54 GMT)

Although Ban dropped the match by dropping sooo easy catch of Imran Nazir, I think their number one problem is not fielding , someday you will field bad and some game you will field good. Their problem is pace balling, the are not producing decent pacers. Ban would have still lost that game even if they had fielded good. You cant always depend on spinners, cant always expect spin-friendly pitch. If they want to develop as a proper cricket nation, they must produce some decent pacers.

Posted by Raffi_sachin on (September 27, 2012, 14:57 GMT)

Shakib has every right to criticize da young players. I think the main problem was da captain. Mushfiq is not the suitable guy to be da captain. Captains needs to lead frm the front whereas he is inconsistent, plus doesn't understand da game pretty well ( seems lyk he was askin da young shafiul to bowl short deliveries inspite of being hitted to all park by NAZIR) you can't ball short deliveries with so low pace.. nd to such a gud caliber batsmen lyk him!! SO BCB NEEDS TO CHNAGE THE CAPTAIN!! SHAKIB OR MASRAFE IT IS ;)

Posted by JohnSnider on (September 27, 2012, 14:29 GMT)

I am a Pakistani. If I were a captain I would not really worry about loss and exit. This is T20 game it is mostly entertaining the crowd and Bangladesh surely played extremely well and could become the Champion but it is really also depend who is lucky that particular day and I believe it was Imran Nazir had a good day which made Pakistan win. If I see a real threat from Pakistan in future it appears to be that Nasir Jamshed but no other player is as solid as he is. Saeed Ajmal and Abdur Rehman are lethal in tandem but I am not sure Abdur Rehman is out of Jail or not. I know for sure worlds most dangerous teenager bowler Mohammad Aamir is out of jail. They both should have played in world cum then Pak team would have been invincible.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 14:26 GMT)

As Miandad says, "I can not teach a player how to bat, he has to be a born batsman. I can only fine tune him". It is neither the captain's fault, nor the coach's that BD is performing. It is the selection committee that selects players with a defeatist mentality. Tamim Iqbal and Shakib perform well because they enter the field with a mindset to win, and put their 100%. Their ability to perform despite continuous losses prove they are mentally tough. Other seems to enter telling themselves that they are going to lose. If they are winning, they relax and lose. If they are losing, they just give up without fight and lose badly. Fire the selection team.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 13:51 GMT)

Bangladesh under performed no questions about that but its T20 fake Cricket in my mind anything can happen in that format. Critics need to see how this team perform in ODIs and Tests now because they haven't played any since that Asia Cup. But for me Shakib should be batting at Number 4. Yes of course Shakib is nowhere near to the likes of Sobers, Kallis etc but he is a very good all-rounder certainly the best in Asia.

Posted by WickyRoy.paklover on (September 27, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

Shakib z at d most 'above avrage batsmen plus an avrage bowlr' who can nevr win his team the matchs with bal against top 5 or 6 teams in all formats.GUL N Tanvir R AWFUL NOWADAYS N EVEN CLUB LEVL BATSMEN CAN HIT THEM AT WIL N CONSISTENTLY,SHAKIB GIVS HIS 100% n That z his big Plus n separats him 4rm his team mats who r Short in talent as wel as skil n dedicatn.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

@Dr. Qureshi: When Brian Lara came into the world cricket arena, West Indies had won two world cup and featured a world class bowling and batting attack. With such a rich history, I guess they could afford to go through a bad patch, unfortunately, they haven't recovered but at least they have a rich past. Bangladesh, on the other hand haven't achieved anything.

So this critcism is very much understandable. While the criticism maybe directed towards the player, but it also towards the board and management. Hoping that they will work hard to provide better infrastructure and better facilities to the players. If you don't realize you are not good, you will never have the drive to be good. Someone needs to remind the Bangladesh team on a consistent basis.

It is about time we give up celebrating individual performances and judge the performance of the whole team. Cricket is a team game, individual brilliance can help you win one or two matches but you need a team to win big tournaments

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

Had Mashrafee Mortaza batted ahead of Mahmadulah and Nassir hosain, Bangladesh would have added 15-20 runs more which matters a lot in T 20. Mortaza can give significant contribution with bat in T20 While bowling Razaq and Shakib should have given chance after 2nd over.I say this again and again, Bangladesh are loosing most of the matches now because of poor captaincy. Bring back Sakib or Mortaza as captain.

Posted by asiacricket1234 on (September 27, 2012, 10:02 GMT)

Yea he and Mash seems to be the only player who care. Making Mushfiq captain was a terrible decision because his place in the team should come under question. He is inconsistent and he is not the kind of guy who can inspire team to do something big. Bangladesh need new captain. May be Shakib in test and Mash in ODI & T20. These 2 guy atleast can win game for their country and give 100% on field.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 9:55 GMT)

There were some other important questions in that interview as well.. QUES: If u had the chance, what would u like to add in this BD team? *Shakib Al Hasan- A lot of things. I would really like to have some bowlers like stain, morkel and fielders like ponting, clark. we have some good spinners, but i want a world class spinner as well. QUES: Can't u be that world class spinner? *SHAKIB: No, i'm good, but not what people call" world class." QUES: Is it impossible for u to be a world class spinner or it requires some inherent qualities? SHAKIB: well, talent can be a factor. For example, i can't be a spinner like Ajmal or Mendis overnight. I guess,i can be like Swan at best, if i try hard. But then, i'll have to sacrifice my batting.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 9:39 GMT)

Thank u Shakib for admitting the truth. We are tired of seeing the lack of dedication and commitment from the players, other than u. I think Asia Cup performances made them complacent, and they felt, "if we can beat india and sri Lanka in consecutive games, new zealand is like Ireland to us". I know Pakistan is a very strong team, bt if the players were commited, we wud have defeated new zealand at least.

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 9:34 GMT)

Dear Shakib ! Your disappointment is understandable. I wonder why your best performances are always reserved against Pakistan ? Well played anyways !! However do you know which international cricketer has featured in most international defeats in the games he played (both tests and ODi's)? Its none other than the great Brian Charles Lara, the best modern day batsman (arguably). He featured in more defeats for WestIndies than any other international cricketer but I never heard any comments from him lamenting his less achieving team mates. On the contrary he won many games single handedly for his side. I must say, that not all bengali cricketers are as gifted as you are, and your criticism wont make them any better. Just make sure that you give your 100% every time you get in the field. Best wishes

Posted by nthuq on (September 27, 2012, 9:28 GMT)

And so he should be. I would dearly love to see the Bangladeshi team rise to higher levels of professionalism.

Posted by saifur.raffael on (September 27, 2012, 9:28 GMT)

so true ....only shakib probably believed 100 % inside his own that they could actually go in the super eights and he also transfered his believe into a performance in the field ..but couldnt quite get them the win .......which other didnt if they would have then may b mushfiq, mahmudullah n others would have also performed not like abul hasan who celebrated as if he had won the match after taking just 2 wickets .more so droping imran nazir on 1....!!!!.. shame abul !!....learn from shakib..........

Posted by   on (September 27, 2012, 9:28 GMT)

Good Luck in future Shakib. You hav proved once again that your are the No. 1 all rounder in T20s. Be positive,, a success will come in your way any time. You had give a new shape to the Bangla cricket, it will inspire more young people to come out and play the great game of Cricket.

Posted by sramesh_74 on (September 27, 2012, 9:11 GMT)

When will Bangladesh find a replacement for Ashraful? He continues to play stupid shots to get out and still gets picked in the playing 11.

Posted by ZAB2121 on (September 27, 2012, 9:10 GMT)

Gul and Tanvir bowled too short otherwise Shakib wouldn't have scored that many. Infact he was very poor running between the wickets and shouted a wrong call and got Tamim out.

Posted by sabbor on (September 27, 2012, 9:09 GMT)

shakib played well, but some of the player did not support him well, that's where it cost the game,

Posted by kc69 on (September 27, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

Shakib al hasan:an extraordinary player in less than ordinary team.

Mohammad IsamClose