Snappy Q&As with the players

Daniel Christian

'Scoring a hundred is better than taking a five-for'

Daniel Christian talks about his hat-trick at the MCG, the toughest bowlers he has faced, and the first player he would choose in a World T20 XI

Interview by Jack Wilson

June 7, 2014

Nuwan Kulasekara was Daniel Christian's hat-trick victim, Australia v Sri Lanka, CB series, Melbourne, March 2, 2012
"It doesn't get much better than a hat-trick and five wickets at the MCG" © AFP
Players/Officials: Daniel Christian

How would you assess your Australia career to now?
Unfulfilled. I've always been a fringe player in the short forms of the game for the last few years. It'd be nice to get my spot in the side nailed down. That has to be my aim right now.

Do you still harbour hopes of playing Test cricket for your country?
It'd be nice to say yes. But looking at it realistically, I'm probably past that opportunity now. I have to concentrate on getting my short-form spot sealed.

Talk us through your hat-trick against Sri Lanka in 2012. Did you genuinely believe Nuwan Kulasekara was out? It was slipping down leg.
I really did. It felt out from where I was. I was obviously in my follow-through but he fell over right in front. It wasn't until I got off and we watched it back that I realised that Hawk-Eye had it missing leg. It makes you wonder, though, doesn't it? How many hat-tricks have people got when they weren't actually out?

Was that the highlight of your career?
Quite comfortably. A hat-trick and five wickets at the MCG. It doesn't get much better than that.

Who is the best coach you have played under?
Darren Lehmann. The sense of empowerment he gives players is amazing. He makes us all feel incredible before we go out there.

What's more rewarding: scoring a hundred or taking five wickets?
It'd have to be making a hundred.

Are you an allrounder who enjoys batting more than bowling, then?
It's a tricky one. I enjoy them both and it varies day by day, really. If I bowl a bad ball, I get to go back to my mark and have another chance. If I play a bad shot, that's me done.

Which of your Australian team-mates has the most annoying habits?
Maxy [Glenn Maxwell]. He is very messy and has bad hygiene. In fact, he stinks!

Who would you least like to hear sing at a karaoke night?
Maxwell again. He has no singing talent whatsoever.

Who is last at the bar to buy a round of drinks?
David Hussey. He's just been tight for a long time.

Who is the most inspirational cricketer you have played with?
Ricky Ponting. He had such an aura about him. Everything he did had that sense of being in control. He was just brilliant.

Who is the fittest in the Australian side?
Mitchell Johnson. Oh, hang on, maybe Brad Haddin. He's pretty fit. It's out of those two.

And the least?
Finchy [Aaron Finch]!

Who is the greatest Australian allrounder you have seen?
That's a tricky one. I used to love watching the Waugh brothers in ODI cricket growing up. Steve used to come in and bowl his plethora of slower balls, then smash it about. I enjoyed that.

What has been the best match you have ever played in?
The Twenty20 Cup final with Hampshire in 2010 was mad. I'd done my quad and needed a runner - and I still ended up running! I nearly lost us that.

When did you realise that you could have been run out?
Everyone was going mad. The boys had run on the pitch and I went to shake hands with the umpire. The umpire shook my hand and said, "You might want to go and get back in." I just thought I had to get in at either end. I didn't know the rules!

Which bowler have you found toughest to face in your career?

You are out and have to perform a party trick. What would you do?
Try to avoid it! I'm not good at being the centre of attention.

If you had to choose a World T20 XI, who would be the first name on the team sheet?
That's so difficult. I can only choose one?

Yes. Could this be your third answer of Glenn Maxwell?
Oh Maxy is incredible, unreal. He's a freak with absolutely no fear of any game situation. It could be him, but I'll go with Shane Watson. He bats and bowls and does everything.

RSS Feeds: Jack Wilson

Posted by Ascharya on (June 9, 2014, 0:16 GMT)

"Which bowler have you found toughest to face in your career?" "Murali. He just gives you no chance of getting him away. Lasith Malinga is up there too. He's never got me out but he's so hard to score against."

A Sri Lankan spinner and a Sri Lankan fast bowler.

SRI LANKA - small but mighty.

Posted by Batmanian on (June 8, 2014, 5:12 GMT)

I'm with Mohammad... a three-for is like a hundred. I'd love to see three, four and five(plus) as stats columns, as well as 150s (daddy tons).

Posted by cricketcarl on (June 8, 2014, 2:33 GMT)

i think each wicket taken in tests is like scoring 25 runs as a batsmen, therefore 4 wkts = 100runs, is only fair

Posted by   on (June 7, 2014, 16:46 GMT)

100 > 3 wickets ....at max in any format any day

Posted by   on (June 7, 2014, 15:41 GMT)

Here is Malinga Again.... i believe. Sri Lanka as the smallest cricketing. nation the produce many outstanding bowlers.....

Posted by CodandChips on (June 7, 2014, 14:35 GMT)

Glad for the mention of the 2010 T20 final. Christian nearly cost us. He wasn't the most useful overseas player either. He didn't score many runs and often got whacked.

To be fair we still won. We hardly deserved to do. Scraped through the group stage in 4th place on net run rate. Then just about won the final (tidied the match but lost less wickets) despite an LBW I thought was plumb and the fact Christian should have been runout, and Pollard's horrific injury. Though Jimmy Adams and Briggs in particular deserved to do well. And it kick-started our T20 supremacy of recent years while Somerset still haven't won a trophy in recent years despite a hell of a lot of second places.

Fair play to him yesterday. Unlucky to lose.

Posted by   on (June 7, 2014, 8:12 GMT)

100 is better in ODI and far better in T20 but in tests 5 wk > 100

FeedbackTop
Jack WilsonClose

Automaton, man, inspiration

Twenty years on, Shivnarine Chanderpaul continues to be understated. And that doesn't bother him. What's not to like? By Brydon Coverdale

85 Tests, 70 defeats

Numbers Game: Bangladesh's stats are easily the worst among all teams when they'd played as many Tests

Zulu finds fulfilment in coaching

After limping out of international cricket, Lance Klusener slipped off the radar, but his coaching stint with Dolphins has given them a higher profile and self-belief

Chanderpaul, the coach's nightmare

Modern Masters: He developed a rhythm that worked for him and gave him better balance at the crease

Johnson v McLaren: a tale of two blows

Russell Jackson: The South African allrounder had the misfortune of being in the line of fire twice this year

Champions League T20 still battling for meaning

The thrills are rather low-octane, the skills are a bit lightweight, and the tournament overly India-centric

From Constantine to Chanderpaul

As West Indies play their 500th Test, here's an interactive journey through their Test history

Busy keepers, and Waqar's bowleds

Also, high scores and low averages, most ducks in international cricket, and the 12-year-old Test player

'My kind of bowling style is gone now'

Former New Zealand seamer Gavin Larsen talks about wobbly seam-up bowling, the 1992 World Cup, and his role in the next tournament

The umpire's bowling change

Plays of the day from the CLT20 game between Kolkata Knight Riders and Chennai Super Kings