- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Mahanama b Wickramasinghe630350020.00lbw b Vaas621362039045.58c & b Muralitharan2354721042.59b Wickramasinghe11315922213171.06c Mahanama b Vaas4990926154.44c Ranatunga b Muralitharan313200023.07lbw b Wickramasinghe921381988166.66run out (Mahanama)33941262035.10b Muralitharan1236371033.33st †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan26140033.33not out3750042.85Extras20 (lb 8, nb 12)TOTAL418 all out (124.4 Overs, RR: 3.35)Fall of wickets: 1-19 (Adam Bacher, 6.6 ov), 2-60 (HD Ackerman, 23.4 ov), 3-155 (Gary Kirsten, 46.6 ov), 4-251 (Hansie Cronje, 70.6 ov), 5-260 (Jacques Kallis, 75.5 ov), 6-272 (Daryll Cullinan, 78.6 ov), 7-367 (Mark Boucher, 109.2 ov), 8-402 (Allan Donald, 119.6 ov), 9-414 (Paul Adams, 123.1 ov), 10-418 (Shaun Pollock, 124.4 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc †Boucher b Donald17151930113.33c Cullinan b Adams601291947046.51c †Boucher b Donald920212045.00c †Boucher b Ntini779811713078.57c Ackerman b Adams2026273076.92c †Boucher b Pollock2273992030.13lbw b Pollock1341542031.70c †Boucher b Pollock3060846050.00c sub (L Klusener) b Pollock1119280057.89not out1522373068.18c †Boucher b Donald417191023.52Extras28 (b 8, lb 7, nb 12, w 1)TOTAL306 all out (84.3 Overs, RR: 3.62)Fall of wickets: 1-20 (Sanath Jayasuriya, 4.5 ov), 2-36 (Roshan Mahanama, 8.5 ov), 3-165 (Aravinda de Silva, 38.5 ov), 4-194 (Arjuna Ranatunga, 45.6 ov), 5-195 (Marvan Atapattu, 47.1 ov), 6-219 (Romesh Kaluwitharana, 61.4 ov), 7-241 (Hashan Tillakaratne, 69.6 ov), 8-270 (Pramodya Wickramasinghe, 75.5 ov), 9-300 (Chaminda Vaas, 79.4 ov), 10-306 (Ravindra Pushpakumara, 84.3 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Mahanama b Vaas1528412053.57c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas0211000.00st †Kaluwitharana b Jayasuriya491401775135.00c Tillakaratne b Muralitharan681231747155.28c Muralitharan b Jayasuriya741471974350.34c Jayasuriya b Muralitharan1032281031.25lbw b Muralitharan854540014.81st †Kaluwitharana b Jayasuriya638430015.78c Pushpakumara b Jayasuriya1850622036.00c †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan36220050.00not out036000.00Extras13 (b 4, lb 3, nb 5, w 1)TOTAL264 all out (103 Overs, RR: 2.56)Fall of wickets: 1-5 (Adam Bacher, 2.2 ov), 2-18 (Gary Kirsten, 8.1 ov), 3-134 (Jacques Kallis, 44.3 ov), 4-146 (Daryll Cullinan, 53.2 ov), 5-166 (Mark Boucher, 61.5 ov), 6-188 (HD Ackerman, 75.4 ov), 7-219 (Shaun Pollock, 86.5 ov), 8-256 (Hansie Cronje, 98.4 ov), 9-260 (Paul Adams, 101.3 ov), 10-264 (Allan Donald, 102.6 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Donald0710000.00c & b Adams712002439035.50c Kallis b Pollock1129391037.93c Kallis b Adams3762826059.67c Kirsten b Kallis43931206046.23lbw b Donald1356742023.21b Pollock4561728073.77c †Boucher b Donald011000.00b Ntini51456281113.33run out (Cullinan)1014332071.42not out915212060.00Extras16 (b 5, lb 3, nb 8)TOTAL306 all out (95.3 Overs, RR: 3.2)Fall of wickets: 1-3 (Sanath Jayasuriya, 2.1 ov), 2-27 (Roshan Mahanama, 11.6 ov), 3-98 (Aravinda de Silva, 33.4 ov), 4-171 (Marvan Atapattu, 62.3 ov), 5-175 (Arjuna Ranatunga, 65.1 ov), 6-234 (Hashan Tillakaratne, 82.2 ov), 7-234 (Chaminda Vaas, 82.3 ov), 8-239 (Romesh Kaluwitharana, 83.3 ov), 9-287 (Muttiah Muralitharan, 90.4 ov), 10-306 (Pramodya Wickramasinghe, 95.3 ov)
Player Of The Match
- Thu, 19 Mar - day 1 - South Africa 1st innings 298/6 (SM Pollock 15*, MV Boucher 12*, 90 ov)
- Fri, 20 Mar - day 2 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 212/5 (HP Tillakaratne 2*, RS Kaluwitharana 13*, 53 ov)
- Sat, 21 Mar - day 3 - South Africa 2nd innings 155/4 (WJ Cronje 11*, MV Boucher 6*, 56 ov)
- Sun, 22 Mar - day 4 - Sri Lanka 2nd innings 120/3 (MS Atapattu 50*, A Ranatunga 14*, 43 ov)
- Mon, 23 Mar - day 5 - Sri Lanka 2nd innings 306 (95.3 ov) - end of match
- Lunch: Sri Lanka 209/5 (Tillakaratne 9, Kaluwitharana 25, 75 overs)
- The 9th wicket partnership of 48 by Wickramasinge and Muralitharan was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The 10th wicket partnership of 18 by Wickramasinghe and Pushpakumara was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- Wickramasinghe scored his maiden Test 50 - previous highest score 43 vs New Zealand at Dunedin, 1996/97
- This was the 6th time in Test history that a team has been dismissed for the same total in both innings, and the highest score of those 6 occurrances.
- Total attendance : 46313
- Lunch: South Africa 219/7 (Cronje 54, 86.5 overs)
- Tea: Sri Lanka 27/1 (Attapatu 14, Mahanama 11, 11 overs)
- Jayasuria achieved his best bowling in a Test match beating his previous best of 3/45 vs India at Colombo in 1997/98
- The 264 made by South Africa is their lowest total vs Sri Lanka.
- Attendance : 16 500
- Lunch: Sri Lanka 300/9 (Muralitharan 15, Pushpakumara 0, 80 overs)
- Tea: South Africa 47/2 (Kallis 6, Cullinan 23, 20 overs)
- The 8th wicket partnership of 29 by Vaas and Wickramasinge was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The 9th wicket partnership of 30 by Vaas and Muralitheran was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The 3rd wicket partnership of 116 by Kallis and Cullinan was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- Cullinan became the 14th South African (the 4th since re-admission) to reach 2000 Test runs.
- Boucher held 6 catches in an innings to equal the South African record - This is the second time in a row that he has done this.
- Attendance : 11 500
- Lunch: SA 402/8 (Pollock 81, 120 overs)
- Tea: SL 92/2 (Atapattu 25, de Silva 36, 20 overs)
- Pollock made his highest Test score (Previous 82 vs Pakistan at Sheikhupura, 1997/98)
- The 7th wicket partnership of 95 by Pollock and Boucher was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- The 9th wicket partnership of 12 by Pollock and Adams was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- The 3rd wicket partnership of 129 by Atapattu and de Silva was a new record for any wicket for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The Sri Lankan 3rd wicket partnership is the highest recorded against South Africa in a Test at Newlands - previously 109 by PA Gibb and WR Hammond for England in 1938/39.
- Makhaya Ntini makes his Test debut.
- Lunch: SA 79/2 (Kirsten 33, Cullinan 8, 27 overs)
- Tea: SA 192/3 (Cullinan 73, Cronje 13, 57 overs)
- Cullinan scored his 4th Test century.
- The 4th wicket partnership of 96 by Cullinan and Cronje was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
Not so much the man who would be king as the man who had to be king, Shaun Pollock will carry a fair bit of excess baggage in his coffin when he flies off to Sri Lanka with his South African side on Friday
History, brief though it may be, suggests that South Africa will hold sway in Sri Lanka next month when they return for their second tour of the island