England v Bangladesh, 1st Test, Chittagong, 5th day

Swann apologises for celebration outburst

Andrew Miller in Chittagong

March 16, 2010

Graeme Swann was England's matchwinner with 10 wickets in the match, Bangladesh v England, 1st Test, Chittagong, March 16, 2010
Graeme Swann was England's matchwinner with 10 wickets in the match © Getty Images

As a man who once feared his international career would be limited to five wicketless overs in a forgotten ODI in Bloemfontein, Graeme Swann is in a hurry to make up for lost time. So much so, that even when the conditions have seemingly been designed to slow him down, he still continues to take strides into the history books. On Tuesday in Chittagong, he completed the first ten-wicket haul of his career (having earlier in the game bagged a wicket in the first over of a spell for the 18th occasion in 17 Tests) to emulate the late, great Jim Laker, the last England offspinner to achieve such a feat, in 1956.

Laker, as it happens, grabbed the small matter of 19 for 90 on that famous occasion at Old Trafford to secure match figures that may never be equalled. But he would at least have sympathised with the hard toil that Swann had to put in to get his rewards, having whirled his way through 51.2 overs in Australia's second innings of that match, compared to Swann's 49 on days four and five in Chittagong.

"I certainly didn't realise I was the first since Jim Laker, so to be in that esteemed company is a really nice feeling," Swann said. "But I wasn't thinking about that when I was bowling. All I was thinking about was how on earth are we going to break this partnership that has lasted for four-and-a-half hours, so to get through that and end up with ten was the icing on the cake."

The partnership in question, between Junaid Siddique and Mushfiqur Rahim, spanned 69.4 overs and more than two sessions, and had worn England's patience to the bone by the time the breakthrough did finally come. Two overs after lunch, Junaid propped forward to be caught at slip by Paul Collingwood, and Swann's loud and clear reaction was one that he instantly regretted. Laker, who used to celebrate his wickets with a cursory handshake and a flick of his jumper over the shoulder, most certainly would not have approved

"It all happened in the heat of the moment and it certainly wasn't anything malicious," said Swann. "I apologise unreservedly if I did swear - and I know I did - because it's certainly not something I condone. I feel a bit ashamed, because it wasn't meant as a personal slight at him, it was just a release of pent-up emotion.

"He batted phenomenally, and it's a testament to him that he did get everyone frustrated," added Swann. "To bat for four-and-a-half hours - and we think we're a pretty decent attack, albeit on a pretty flat wicket - he proved a real thorn in our side. That was born out of emotion, which is exactly what Cooky [Alastair Cook] told us not to do, so I'm in his bad books."

On the subject of the outburst, Cook diplomatically claimed not to have heard anything, but added that he had no objection with England playing the game hard but fair. "Emotion does sometimes take over but we still executed our skills well," he said. "In hot conditions, it was easy for things to bubble over a lot more than they did, but I was happy with the aggression we showed. Not giving an inch, that's what international cricket is about."

If Swann really is in his captain's bad books, then he is unlikely to remain there very long, because Cook knows that his spinner is England's most potent matchwinner of recent times. He has now claimed 79 wickets in 17 Tests, including six five-fors - the last of which came during their memorable innings victory over South Africa at Durban. In addition to those, he played key roles in both of England's victories over Australia at Lord's and The Oval in the summer, and Cook believes that he's heading for a special slot in England's annals.

"Swanny has so much control of his game," said Cook. "He's very easy to captain, he knows the fields he wants, and you trust him to make the breakthrough. To get ten on that wicket was an amazing effort, and he bowled a lot of overs so that shows his determination. Everything is going right for him, and the skill he's shown over the past 12 months proves it's not a fluke. If he keeps his feet on the ground, there's no reason why he can't [be one of the greats]. If he can keep producing performances, I'm sure he'll continue doing it."

Efforts such as the one he produced in this match will aid his overall development as a player, because as Swann himself said, he was forced to alter his natural gameplan to conquer conditions that didn't aid his variations. There was even an unveiling of a ball that went the other way, which he coyly admitted was something he'd been working on - "I've not come up with a name for it yet, as spinners are supposed to do," he said. "Perhaps I'll call it the Chittagong.

"It was a flat pitch, but there wasn't any pace either, so my normal trick of trying to slide one off the pitch for an lbw against the left-hander was straight out of the window," he said. "It didn't turn anything like as much as we hoped it would as the game wore on, which is probably the reason why Bangladesh bowled first to start with, even though that worked in our favour."

Overall, however, Chittagong provided another five days of satisfaction to file away in Swann's cuttings book, even if today's effort did require a change of cap at lunch to ensure a swift end to proceedings. "It just keeps getting better, and I'm more than happy with how things are going," he said. "But I'm very superstitious. If I've not taken a wicket for a while, then you'll probably find me changing my hat or switching the bails around."

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo. Go to http://twitter.com/miller_cricket to follow him on Twitter through the England tour of Bangladesh.

RSS Feeds: Andrew Miller

Posted by leftarmtron on (March 19, 2010, 13:39 GMT)

sabina- he's bowled the aussies out already

Posted by tauhid_aks on (March 19, 2010, 9:32 GMT)

I think wat Swann did was Ok. He might have got bit emotional but he is at least a Human being, right? and moreover, he can be happy with the partnership which was really danerous.

Posted by Charizard on (March 19, 2010, 7:57 GMT)

Havent u guys gt it :D Okies let me xplain a simple rule of cricket Passion,Doing everythin for wining,Sledging,Being foul mouthed, Jelly Beans, using mint for reverse swing... u c dis all these r reserved for only 2 countries.. AUS and Eng..it like patent items guys.. ofcourse wen some1 else uses it its a CRIME and dey r bound 2b punished.. Frnakly in sometime soon Eng n AUS will actually patent d above mention things :) So follow d rule, ur nt allowed to show passion if ur nt from Aus or Eng. If u do ICC wil charge u with bans :D . .. . . Get over guys..lets play simple cricket.. bowler sould celebrate a wicket,cherish it bt not cross ur line... imagine a Batsmer doing d same wen he reaches 100, jst walkin upto each bowler and sayin things...doesnt look a good picture,rite :D

Posted by   on (March 19, 2010, 3:58 GMT)

come on people! leave it. bring the old sledging days back. Bring the aggression, the foul mouthed confrontations and the calming down afterwards. Sports gives you a lot of emotions. It is in all the sports. We just make ourself confuse by calling cricket "gentlmen;s game". Go back in prime of test cricket. Aggression was always there. Only onething is necessary; leaving everything on field back when you cross the boundary ropes. You need it if you want to see test cricket survive.

As a Bangladeshi, I want to see the same. Shakib going wild after getting KP one more time. Thats how the legacies are born.

Posted by sabina2009 on (March 19, 2010, 3:21 GMT)

Swann took 10 wickets against a weak Bangladeshi side. It is not at all a big deal. I would have appreciated his performance if he had taken 10 wickets against countries like South Africa, Australia or India. There is no need for him to cherish on this moment. We are waiting to see how he performs against the Aussies.

Posted by CricketAddictJustForFun on (March 19, 2010, 3:19 GMT)

The Offspinner Swann must have broken a old cricketing record but against a inexperienced and not a incapable team. Bangladesh deserves accolades more than England for their fighting spirit. Bangladesh Players should get some more experience in neighbouring countries domestic circuits like our country India as it will help them be more strategy specific both while batting or bowling. Racism in punishments especially against Subcontinental teams not new as Sachin like cricketing genius got accussed of ball tampering or even lying on another occassion as cultural perjudice gets better of good conduct on cricket field . Its amusing that Sports passion theory only exists for Australia who consider themselves self acclaimed Guardians of Game with their copycat friends South Africa and England basically win so few matches against Quality Test Teams anywhere that passion boil over every time as every win is a rarity to be treasured so they can be forgiven as they never do it routinely.

Posted by Bang_La on (March 19, 2010, 2:07 GMT)

Bangladesh supporters? Why you are NOT rather overjoyed that to promote Swann's extra-ordinary "achievement" (Tony Greig did that before but he is a turncoat so Brit Press are simply mum on it), they also uplift Bangladesh cricket status? At least, they are no more calling the series "a walk in park", nor mentioning that they are playing against the most no-good cricket team awarding whom the test-status simply lowered whole cricket, etc. Find some point to smile and join the English celebration, HOORA!

Posted by Bang_La on (March 19, 2010, 1:56 GMT)

Arzoo_USA? Shocked at the double standard of the whole so called FIRST WORLD'S double standard and hycrisy? Read this artcile wtitten by one, who has seen teh most of such amongst anyone in cricket :)

Holding critical of 'first-world hypocrisy' August 28, 2006

Excerpts: QUOTE There is a double standard at work in cricket and this episode has only highlighted it. When England used reverse-swing to beat the Australians in the 2005 Ashes, everyone said it was great skill. When Pakistan does it, the opposite happens, no one thinks it is great skill. Everyone associates it with skullduggery.

"When bombs go off in Karachi and Colombo everyone wants to go home. When bombs go off in London, no one says anything. That is first-world hypocrisy and we have to live with it." UNQUOTE

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 18, 2010, 23:24 GMT)

@Arzoo. Oh I forgot to add...I NEVER said I was English. I don't wish to reveal my nationality because I want to avoid being accused of national bias. Believe or not, I don't have a problem with scolding my players when they play poorly or do something wrong and I don't have a prob with praising the opposition either. The only thing I've ever revealed is the fact that I am not an Aussie fan (and I give them credit when it is due anyway).

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 18, 2010, 22:55 GMT)

@ Arzoo_USA. Ok i'll accept a difference in culture. You have your culture and I have mine. I've played and been sledged and sledged back and then chill with the same player after the game (not just cricket). I read Viv Richards autobiography once. He referenced an incident where he and Ian Botham exchanged some explicit lang. after he nicked 1 and didn't walk...guess what? Ian Botham is his son's godfather ;) don't take my word for it, you can buy the book in stores. I've watched cricket for a little over 15 yrs and I've seen guys really have a go at each other (including old footage) and I don't recall there being a fine. Remember Alan Donald vs Arthurton. Oh well...guess you didn't watch that game. Check it out on youtube. P.S. Arthurton signed his glove and gifted it to Donald, now they're buddies.

Posted by Philly.rocks on (March 18, 2010, 20:04 GMT)

@_NEUTRAL_Fan_ , u guys give credit to a criminal when if he says sorry after the crime? Nice culture, good for u. For us, we always call a criminal as criminal. Sorry cant be a solution for an offense. If u give credit for a sorry after committing a crime then eventually u r promoting the crime, I guess thats English style. And I am surprised to see u people even supported Finn for his arrogance and bad mouthing to Junayed just after his century. Look mate I guess you are out of ur mind or u did not follow the game carefully. Finn was following him like a barking mad dog and poor chap Junayed was trying his best to avoid the d.. So, my question, is this what goes on test cricket for decades? Absolutely not. I have been watching cricket for the last 25 years. And its a punishable offense which was overlooked by the umpires and match officials. Ohh I forgot mention that match referee was very active to issue warning to Shakib, to tell truth that he was unhappy with some decisions.WOW.

Posted by Knightriders_suck on (March 18, 2010, 19:31 GMT)

Personally I think that send offs are not such a bad thing. Come on batsman hit the leather out off the ball. And when they get out bowlers have to get it out of their systems. Shows the passion in the game. Though I draw a line where players start bumping into each other deliberately.

What I have problem with though is when the subcontinent players give send offs they are treated harshly. Please do not deny this, it is the truth. I don't think Aussies or British are smart with their cussing, it is just that the rules were written by these bloodsucking people and hence favor their style of cussing.

Posted by Bang_La on (March 18, 2010, 19:23 GMT)

Kevin A Smith: After all, Bangladesh was such a mighty team, we kept reading about them all along!! Though your journalists had a back sommersault from what they questioned a day before about the justification of awarding test status to Bangladesh :) Go Swine ooops Swann go! Sorry it was a heat of the moment, apologies!

Posted by Philly.rocks on (March 18, 2010, 18:32 GMT)

So, the circumstance in ICC is that if a white guy does something wrong then he did it from emotion or depression on the other hand if anybody else does it then he makes level 2 offense, isnt it right Mr. ICC? Ohh my mistake, is ICC male or female? I guess not a male, but cant be a female as well then i guess ICC is a common gender who always have double standard on their own judgment. I remember when n Aussie batsman broke the stumps after getting out then he and match referee exp-lained that as a consequence of frustration and OUT. And when an Indian batsman did this then he faced fine, hearing, etc. Surely, cricket is a funny game not only because of its nature of uncertainty but due to the double standard of its administrator body ICC, umpires, match officials.

Posted by zaman_ash on (March 18, 2010, 17:52 GMT)

according to d indians xpression i feel like they ud rub off all d records made against d underdogs.let me remind u guyz india cricket team is a tiger, it's true....BUT.....ONLY AT HOME!!!

Posted by woody53 on (March 18, 2010, 15:17 GMT)

Wouldn't mind a Warne in the side, but we don't want a chucker

Posted by sanjayve on (March 18, 2010, 14:09 GMT)

I think Swan's performance against Australia will settle the issue one way or other.

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 18, 2010, 13:51 GMT)

@ Rezul n others with similar comments. I NEVER 1nce said that Swann shouldn't be fined nor did I say it was ok for what he did. I DID SAY credit to him for the apology. I've seen many a cricketer swear at another n celebrate with "passion" when they dismiss a batsman, yes EVEN non-Aus/Eng players n many NEVER apologize. Recall Watson vs Gayle when he was fined for jumping n screaming like a kid, he didn't apologize like Swann did nor did he swear. I saw Kemar Roach turn to Ghambir and yell "How is that?" at him as he passed after he bowled him in Champion's trophy,seen Pak bowlers blow kisses at batsmen,seen Zaheer Khan n many other bowlers run pass batsmen turn to them and scream "YEEEEAAA!" after taking a wicket. They didn't apologize and were not fined..the luck was with them. BUT SO WHAT? I still support their bowling. If they apologized I would say well done but we can't be screaming fines for every verbal, ONCE IT's NOT RACISM ,let it go. Finn did what bowlers do for decades!

Posted by W350 on (March 18, 2010, 12:41 GMT)

MHB1951(mate i don care from where you belong)but if you arent a great follower of the game..learn first then comment..a ten wicket haul against bangla..no.2. on the rankings..man Swan in his wildest dreams wldn have thought he'd get this far..nor does he deserve that ranking..ITS PLAIN SIMPLE RUBBISH..now if you wanna eat it do so..but then do it quietly without bringing in countries or names..everyone is got a right to voice opinions and if you have a problem with that,well sort it out yourself!!

Posted by rashidkh on (March 18, 2010, 12:32 GMT)

Double standards by ICC again come to the fore when such abusive and colonial mentality of white players is overlooked by the authorities. It is shameful that such behaviour is still tolerated by BCB in this day and age. And we are told, cricket is a gentlemans game, oh come on! Swann is the No 2 bowler in the world, hahaha is an insult to the No 2 rank and is a fluke. Top 5 ranked bowlers either play in the IPL or were approached and said no, why not Sir Swann (over excited zaltzman)? He is an ordinary bowler who the english writers think by exaggerating his little feats would create an aura around him. Heaven help us if a warne or a Murali played for england(saffers B team currently), they would replace their German Queen with him. LOL

Posted by albion1 on (March 18, 2010, 11:47 GMT)

Swann should grow up but I'm more worried by Broad and Finn. Broad has previous here and Finn's behaviour for a debutant was a disgrace. The ECB should show some backbone and give them each a one match ban.

Regarding the 10 wicket haul - no one in England or the English media describes him as a great - clearly that isn't the case. He is a decent off spinner who makes the most of what he's got. He is however a very useful cricketer.

Can we stop all the refs to it being a cultural thing - all the teams today behave boorishly at times. It's a shame but it has more to do with a 'cricket culture' than any one country's ethos.

Interesting how a lot of our Indian friends use the test rankings a lot now!!

Lastly England has produced a few decent spinners, though few recently, other than Laker. Tony Lock and Derek Underwood spring immediately to mind.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 10:49 GMT)

In the second test, ZOHURUL should be included on replacement of Aftab ahmed and Shafiul should be included on replacement of Rubel. Thanks junaid, but I am worried about his career because of he is not perfect for international cricket despite his maiden test century. I think he should perform in domestic cricket that he is better than other batsmen who doesn't give chance to bangladesh team.

Posted by butterhandsfingers on (March 18, 2010, 10:47 GMT)

@sheenu Thanks for bring that Sachin chap into the conversation. We all know Tendulkar is the real subject of every article on Cricinfo, but I was struggling to see how this one was about him until you cleared it up. Just waiting for those damn scientists to get in gear and start cloning him, then every cricket match can be 22 Tendulkars running around, how exciting that will be

Posted by Rahul_78 on (March 18, 2010, 10:33 GMT)

STUART BROAD U R A PRAT. Sorry to bring it up here but cricinfo v cunnigly disabled the comments at the page where ur antiques r mentioned. U knw it has been a frustrating morning for me (Hence I am calling u names). But I hope u wont mind as I want to say sorry abt my mishap. Lets have a laugh abt it.

Posted by Rukus_NZ on (March 18, 2010, 10:10 GMT)

At the end of the day, he got 10 wickets in a test match, meaning he bowled out half the team, or the whole team once... ANWAYS lets just celebrate that someone in the world took a 10 wicket haul in a test match... IT DOESNT MATTER who it was against... Its a rare spectical. I dont care much for englands cricket side, but I do think a 10 wicket haul is something to worth mentioning... Now for everyone else who is slandering race, countries, swan etc... please relent on this and move forward... such is the game of cricket!

Posted by chaithan on (March 18, 2010, 10:04 GMT)

u cant call swann the next great yet. he is the in-form bowler now but that doesnt mean a thing. look at where harbhajan or panesar were a few yrs ago. the greatest bowler at the moment is still murali-even if he is out of form. @mhb1951: u mite have watched cricket 4 50 yrs but u also seem 2 be 50 yrs in the past. in case u didnt notice india is the no.1 test team now. atleast u have the guts and honesty 2 admit swann did something wrong and that cricket officials are racist-unlike most englishmen or aussies. @sfay: u are either in denial or totally racist urself. no need 2 say anything else.

Posted by AJ_Tiger86 on (March 18, 2010, 10:04 GMT)

Swann's bowling average in England: 32.66, Harbhajan: 34.16, Kumble: 41.41. Swann's bowling average in South Africa: 31.38, Harbhajan: 56.00, Kumble: 32.02. Swann's bowling average in West Indies: 24.05, Harbhajan: 26.08, Kumble: 31.28. Enough said.

Posted by vulpecula on (March 18, 2010, 9:53 GMT)

to zulu-lance......sorry i should have been more specific, i meant the first England spinner to do it

Posted by Tom_Bowler on (March 18, 2010, 9:51 GMT)

Rather a lot of hot air generated by a single crass moment. I wonder how many of the fearless exposers of racism and denouncers of hypocrisy who are waxing so lyrical on Swann's gracelessness worked themselves into a similarly self-righteous froth when the ICC weaselled out of adequately punishing the always charming Harbhajan for his altercation with Andrew Symonds?

Posted by MB81 on (March 18, 2010, 9:02 GMT)

He is an average off-spinner and it's sad to see that he's the number 2 in the bowling rankings. Come on he no Murali or Warne, if he gets 10 wickets against Bangladesh it shouldn't be making headlines, i find this situation very sad.

Posted by ThirteenthMan on (March 18, 2010, 8:41 GMT)

The poor behaviour we see in cricket, as well as other sports, is, mostly, learned behaviour; people copying what others have done. Probably kids in school copy the players they see on TV. A few successful chavs start it and others follow. I recall Ian Botham was poorly behaved on field and no doubt that was a factor. Last season I remember seeing "footballer type" behaviour at Twickenham*. We need anti chav laws for all sports, both for the players and the crowds (e.g. The Barmy Army whose moronic chanting should be stopped). Sport is at its best when it is played in a gentlemanly/ladylike way. Cricket really is "the beautiful game"; let us keep it that.

Posted by Ballukiller05 on (March 18, 2010, 8:37 GMT)

To, Mr.mhb1951 actually I am sorry to say that but you seem to be a racist person. You have been watching cricket since 50 years but you can not take number 1 ranking of India. If India played only pathetic cricket ICC filled with biased men like you will never allow such a thing to happen. The comments of Mr.Rakesh where excellent and he never said anything wrong about England, English cricket or Swann. One more thing Swann is no match for Warne, Murli or Harbhajan. Every county or state or club team in subcontinent would have a spinner who can be nurtured to the level of Swann technically. Swann is nevertheless one of my fav. crickets he has grit, courage and fighting spirit that's all what a sportsman is made off.

Posted by Bollo on (March 18, 2010, 8:09 GMT)

4 words - mountains, molehills, chips, shoulders

Posted by Bang_La on (March 18, 2010, 7:59 GMT)

Funny, now Swann is blown up as a giant spin bowler and British media goes ransake! Only the other day, the same British media was talking about tests against Bangladesh would be a walk in the park. So they suggested to dismiss this tour performance and keep thinking about coming Ashes! Now suddenly, Swann's bowling is so great against such a TOUGH team! Good part is, Bangladesh is brought up after all!

Michael Holding is recalled for his comment on double standard by the westerners! :)

Posted by SaqlainHK on (March 18, 2010, 7:35 GMT)

Nice way to insult others on right time and then Sorry after two three days, english & Aussi attitute . where is refree and umpires are they sleeping to complain about him

Posted by realredbaron on (March 18, 2010, 7:05 GMT)

Is this the first time an English player has misbehaved and got away with nothing?! C'mon we all know the Englishmen are untouchable! They can do whatever they want and they will go unpunished! And as if this was not enough. They are now bringing in an Australian redneck as the head of the ICC.

Posted by Shaitaan on (March 18, 2010, 6:40 GMT)

He averages 39.50 against India and 40.50 against Australia. And 31.80 against South Africa, which is creditable but hardly spectacular. But maybe he's so highly regarded for being witty in press conferences -- and see how nicely he apologises, how contrite he is, after swearing at the opposition? Such a good egg, overall. Bring on the MBE then?

Posted by pranabashish on (March 18, 2010, 6:26 GMT)

I feel more than Swann (who is a good bowler), it is Staurt Broad who should be fined or reprimanded heavily.. he is a repeat offender but he gets away by apologizing to the umpire's.. why?? Is there any truth to what S Gavaskar mentioned sometime earlier about he being in good books with the match referee's because of his own dad being a match referee?? I wish all were treated equally when it comes to handing out fines, reprimands, bans etc in cricket but am i looking for Utopia here??

Posted by CustomKid on (March 18, 2010, 6:22 GMT)

Lets get a little perspective here people. Sledging it happens, has always happened and always will, so it's time to get over it.

As for Swann well lets get a grip and even more perspective. One of the greats is a big statement.

Check his figures out against decent sides and they're not so great. V's Australia 14 wkts at 40.50, V's India 16 wkts at 39.50. V's SAF 21 wkts at 31.50 - I might be wrong but I wouldn't call those figures great with SAF about average.

He's got cheap wickets against the WI 26 wkts at 22.00 and Bang 10 wkts at 21.00.

I think people are getting a little carried away at this point in time. I'm still not convinced he's much good at all. He's got spirit I'll give him that but let's wait until the end of his career before we start bestowing him with titles such as 'One of the greats' because at this point in time it just embarrassing.

Posted by 67305 on (March 18, 2010, 5:27 GMT)

As an Englishman it will give him GREAT satisfaction to take 10wickets against the MIGHTY Bangers,...he might do it against the Aussies later this year,....then again HE MIGHT NOT.

Posted by mhb1951 on (March 18, 2010, 5:13 GMT)

Mr Rakesh107(I guess an Indian) is as usual an Indian-highly prejudiced against all good things. That Swan is a great bowler, he is not ready to accept because Swan is not an Indian. I have seen so much of Swan that I feel after Warne and Murali, he is going to be the next great. So dont say that he has taken 10 wickets in an average test. Ask him how difficult it was and it was CERTAINLY no average test - much more taxing than most played by India till recently. I have always followed all cricket for over 50 years now and know exactly about every test match India played-mostly PATHETIC TO SAY THE LEAST.

Posted by Shahed_Adelaide on (March 18, 2010, 5:05 GMT)

Thas a shame for the match officials (not to be reported by the umpires becoz the players involved are white) to let the English to go unpunished ...

Posted by Shahed_Adelaide on (March 18, 2010, 5:04 GMT)

Posted by Rezaul on (March 18, 2010, 4:16 GMT)

@_NEUTRAL_Fan_, So u committed a crime and then say sorry, so its over? Very good. You guys can describe a murder as a suicide case, what a way of explain. I remember once former Bangladesh captain Khaled Mshud was fined because they thought he was appealing, what a dramma, ICC! When a player from subcontinent does the same thing as of these Aussie and Eng player then two diff explanation comes. You say one is due to emotion and another is level 2 offense. wow, ICC wow. Excellent double standard! Carry on ur dramma, immediately u r going to be nominated for oscar drama award. @malmanca, I disagree with u. Let me tell u an old but very useful statement: if a dog bites u then u should not bite him back. Did u see after reaching the century how Finn was bad mouthing to Junayed and Junayed tried to avoid him and Finn follwed him again and again with bad mouth and Junayed avoided. I like this way treatment to these people.

Posted by gameofcricket on (March 18, 2010, 4:05 GMT)

kitten, your comment is a joke right? The difference wih the incidents is that one side shows remorse and accepts that they are wrong. On the other side the player refuses to accept thier wrong doing so therefore has to be punished. why do people continually clog up these sites with racially dividing comments like you KITTEN? Focus on the positive aspects of cricket for a change

Posted by Blythesville on (March 18, 2010, 3:54 GMT)

As a West Indian, seeing how Sulieman Benn was thrown under the bus with a steep suspension, I am appalled at officials lax treatment of bad behaviour by teams from England, Australia and New Zealand.

Posted by sheenu on (March 18, 2010, 3:26 GMT)

I agree with Kamrul8766. All one has to do is to look at Sachin Tendulkar, and learn HOW to behave ON (and OFF) the field!! In his 21 years of international career, I don't think Sachin Tendulkar EVEN ONCE behaved like what Swann did, and Sachin has close to 32000 international runs!! with 93 centuries!!. That is why Sachin commands so much respect WHEREVER he goes. As one commentator rightly said, it is a HOME GAME for Sachin wherever he plays, not just in India.

Posted by Addy77 on (March 18, 2010, 1:35 GMT)

Does anyone knws who is behind Swans Success ??? its Englands new Spin Bowling Coach Mushtaq Ahmed no one mentioned his name how sad before him swan was nothing and now he is at the top..

Posted by Addy77 on (March 18, 2010, 1:32 GMT)

ok kwel he is at the top now, buit anyone knws who is behind him to bring him here??? Mushtaq Ahmed Englands new Spin Bowling coach , before that swan was a big flop....

Posted by Stevo_ on (March 17, 2010, 23:43 GMT)

Wow, can't believe all the sub-continent lads here with a chip on their shoulder.

The sub-continent teams are masters of playing up and getting away with it (Singh racist comments, Ganguly giving the finger to the crowd ,Ranatunga claiming a runner for "injury" ; the list goes on and on and on)

That's not to say that other players and teams don't misbehave , they do, but to claim it is only sub-continent teams that are punished for indiscretions is laughable

Posted by BDEELS on (March 17, 2010, 23:16 GMT)

All the Swann supporters, he is doing okay and good too see that..and all the red necks who things that it is okay to show emotions the way Swann did, you should be ashamed of yourself. An idiot is always an idiot; regardless he apologised or took 10 wickets. What about his captain who is deef! They deserve punishment for their on field behaviour.

Posted by islandon on (March 17, 2010, 22:35 GMT)

Swann may be a good spinner, and a pretty decent batsman too, but as a person he totally lacks class, and continues to embarrass himself, his team mates, and particularly his country with his boorish behaviour.

Posted by BillyCC on (March 17, 2010, 22:18 GMT)

To Mayan005: Swann is definitely not the best spinner in the game today (he may be the form spinner, but that's not too hard to be at the moment). That title, rightly or wrongly, belongs to Murali. Sri Lanka unfortunately haven't played too many Tests of late, and when they have, Murali has not been in form (and the Tests have been against India). Why is he better? Murali can dominate a side especially in the second innings of a match; Swann can't. This is proven by his lack of big figures, his best is a still a five-for. Murali is a tighter bowler than Swann and has more control. His economy rate is far superior. And also, Swann has only been around for a couple of years consistently at the top level. Murali has had a decent record for the past ten years.

Posted by Avery_Mann on (March 17, 2010, 21:59 GMT)

"and we think we're a pretty decent attack..." Well, not bad I suppose for the 5th ranked team, but not 'pretty decent' by any stretch of the imagination. Between Broad and Swann England has only two test-quality bowlers. As Ellis said (and it couldn't be said better), "Funny how performances like Swann's against Bangladesh make the English media drool, but a century by Tendulkar or ten wickets by Murali against the same team are dismissed as performances against minnows!"

Posted by testmatchsofa on (March 17, 2010, 21:59 GMT)

Whilst in no way condoning Swann's behaviour, the incident should be seen as a massive compliment to the Bangladeshis, rather than an insult. The fact that when a superb 4 and a half hour stand of grit, determination and no little skill prompted the 2nd best bowler in the world to react in such a way when finally broken shows that the supposed weakest test nation is clearly getting somewhere.

Posted by __PK on (March 17, 2010, 21:21 GMT)

Cook's claim not to have heard anything is not diplomacy, it's a cover-up. If it was Ponting claiming not to have heard Johnson swear, they'd both be in front of a tribunal.

Posted by on_the_level on (March 17, 2010, 20:59 GMT)

Really, Swann? Oh, we now entirely understand, and sympathise with you. It would have been an arduous task, playing for your country, and trying to get those pesky Bangladeshis out, who just wouldn't co-operate. Of course, the fact that the batsman failed to release his "pent-up emotion" on his dismissal makes him a lesser human being than you. Cheers to the captain too. Go England!!

Posted by tbennett54 on (March 17, 2010, 20:54 GMT)

Tony Greig was really bowling slow off-cutters rather than offspin.

Posted by kapil__goyal on (March 17, 2010, 19:55 GMT)

I really pity the IPL franchises who refused to bid for such a wonderful off-spinner

Posted by Rezaul on (March 17, 2010, 19:17 GMT)

@malmanca, I dont believe with idea of biting a dog after it bites you. Better teach him how to be more gentle. I remember, when Bangldesh was on the verge of winning their first test against a major test team in 2003 at Multan: Rafiq called back non striker to his crease in stead of making him out just because of gentleship, on the other hand what they did: their captain took a ball from the ground and appealed for catch.

Here Swan and Finn's behavior were more than outrageous and simply like animal. And they should have been punished by match referee. But ICC and match referees are always by the side of Aussies and English. They always act like one eyed people. I bet you if any subcontinent player would have done this he would definitely be punished by match referee. Alas, thats how law works for them. Pity to ICC!!

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 19:08 GMT)

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 18:57 GMT)

It is the intensity of a match that sometime gets one 'Overboard' I congratulate Swann for winning the Test Match for England & hold no grudge towards him.... Roquibul Hassan, former B'desh captain.

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 18:48 GMT)

Swann's 10 wkt performance needs to be applauded. His outburst deserves to be punished. One of the arguments that is put out on behalf of the likes of Swann, Johnson and Haddin is they apologised and so can get away with mild or no punishment. As if a Benn or a Bhajji or a Sreesanth or any other sub continental player's transgressions are not born out of emotions unlike Swann's "It all happened in the heat of the moment"! Playing 'hard but fair' has different meanings for the Englishmen (Atherton with dirt in his pockets), John Lever applying vaseline to the ball, Trevor Chappell underarm bowling (letter of law allows that) or a Glenn McGrath bringing Lara into the 'conversation' when he could not dismiss a stubborn Ramnarain Sarwan or a Stuart Broad's more than vociferous appeals or Shane Watson's polite send off for Chris Gayle are part of that 'hard but fair' play. Englishmen, and their cronies still think that their erstwhile colonies can be treated any which way they like!

Posted by Charizard on (March 17, 2010, 18:47 GMT)

He is only good as long as he last.... Srilanka's Mendis was a Mennace too bt nw batsmen play him with ease... lets c if Swann has it in him to b really gr8 or jst like a paragraph in book of cricket...

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 18:45 GMT)

No mention of Mushtaq Ahmed who is his bowling coach! If you look at his bowling action it resembles Mushtaq Ahmed!

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 18:45 GMT)

Posted by AngelEyes on (March 17, 2010, 18:44 GMT)

Just another example of another white cricketer escaping punishment for bad behiavour with the tried, tested and true "it was just pent up emotions". Too bad for Gautam Gambhir, Suliman Benn and cricketers of their ilk, that their pent up emotions ends up costing them fines, suspensions, and bans. Horrendous double standards from the ICC.

Posted by DuncLancs on (March 17, 2010, 18:26 GMT)

Swann is the first spinner to take 10 wickets in the sub continent since Jim Laker in 1956. It isn't clear from the way it was phrased in the article. Nevertheless he did emulate Laker as stated in the article.

Posted by kitten on (March 17, 2010, 18:25 GMT)

Unfortunately, over the years it has been noticed that there is definitely bias against the sub continental players....just compare one of them...Gambhir elbows a player, and Johnson headbutts one...just because Johnson apologises, he gets away with it, and poor Gambir is suspended for two games. I don't think that is justice. Now again, Swann swears no end, and just because he says sorry, he gets away with it. You can bet your botton dollar that if this was a player from the sub continent, the referee would have come down on him like a ton of bricks. If nothing is done to rectify this blatant bias, the game will lose the respect it deserves, and, taken things to the extreme, might even develop into two sides...the sub continent vs the rest. That will be a total shame. Incidentally, I am an English supporter, but like millions of other English supporters, like to see fair play. Make no mistake, Swann is a great bowler/guy, but if he misbehaves, he should be punished like the rest.

Posted by shadymse on (March 17, 2010, 18:20 GMT)

Im a member at Notts and as such get to see the players often and hear them talking and see their attitude on the field on a regular basis. I have soken with Swann hundreds of times and seen him interact with players like Patel and Shafayat both of Indian/Asian heratige. I have never seen or heard him make any raceist comments and I agree with KAZabbar England fought hard to get the Bangladesh wickets, and in turn they fought damed hard to stop them and I do believe England and the rest of the so called big boys will have to show respect to Bangladesh because mark my words Bangladesh are sleeping giants. In the 50's who would have thought India would be the team they are today?

Posted by arun1987 on (March 17, 2010, 18:10 GMT)

it's a surprise knowing that Swann is the first one after Jim Laker to take a 10 wkt haul for England. He is the best spinner England had in the last 20 years may be. He is a superb character on field so far. Its a gr8 achievement for a spinner on such a flat track. Congratulations Swanny.................

Posted by Farhan020328 on (March 17, 2010, 18:03 GMT)

Swann is improving everyday. He earned those wickets against Bangladesh, except 1 or2. Everybody should accept that. But as always, English media is too exaggerating. Keep calm, give him some more time. I think he will be one of the best in near future, only spinner England have ever produced, if you leave Laker.

Posted by auggie on (March 17, 2010, 18:03 GMT)

If he reacts like he did when taking the wicket of a batsmen in one of the worst ranked teams according to the ICC, then the stupido is gonna take off his trousers and run naked on the field in glee if and when he takes the wicket of a guy like Ponting or Tendulkar in the big league. Or maybe he might just go wild and punch them on the jaw! Man-of- the- people indeed! At least Flintoff despite the booze, the pedalos,etc. always treated minnows decently.....Flintoff is 'folky' Swann is not..

Posted by Gupta.Ankur on (March 17, 2010, 17:33 GMT)

Well there was hardly any need for Swann to apologize in this case............anyhow even if he wasn't he would have been let-ogg quite easily....

remember johnson getting "compatitive" with Styris................what did he get? 60% fine.....

Posted by kitten on (March 17, 2010, 17:22 GMT)

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 17:15 GMT)

@Saheed Lalmohammed Your fb profile indicates you're from the West Indies. I guess your team knows all about taking ten wickets against the weak Bangladeshis...oh.

Posted by zulu-lance on (March 17, 2010, 17:03 GMT)

@John-Price, @vulpecula - Why go back to 1974, as recently as 2001, Harbhajan Singh took 15 wickets against Steve Waugh's all-conquering Australian side in Chennai. Also a certain Mr Muralitharan took 16 wickets at The Oval in 1998.

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 17, 2010, 17:03 GMT)

There is no doubt he's the best spinner in the world at present. Yea it is Bangladesh but they are much better players of spin than pace. Maybe even better against spin than NZ or W.I. Good to see him apologize for that was rude. Keep in mind...swearing and bad mouthing happens all the time in cricket and more so in other sports,BY ALL TEAMS, he could have easily brought that up and say he was just unlucky to be caught on camera BUT he didn't, so you have to say that was an improvement in behaviour. Truth is Swann has been taking regular wickets in all conditions and to out bowl Sahkib (a class spinner) in his own back-yard is an achievement. It just goes to show you don't need a doosra to be a good spinner. He has a long long way to go b-4 being classed as a great spinner but for now he is very very good.

Posted by Rakesh107 on (March 17, 2010, 17:01 GMT)

You guys make out like Swann is already a great! Steady on! Look at Monty's start to his career and where is he now? Ok, credit to Swann, he's a plucky cricketer and had a good 12-18 months and made a difference to this England side. But he's a very long way off being a great. Yes, he got a few wickets in India at the start of his career when no one (Indians) had seen him before - 8 wkts in 2 tests at 40-odd a piece doesn't make him a world beater. Now world cricket have seen Swann - his true test will come. Can he mix it with the best players of spin overseas in Australia, India and Sri Lanka? Only time will tell? On the sledging thing - how many times have we seen quicks let the batsman know where to go after taking their wicket? Swann's incident is no different - leave off! I suppose the media need somthething to write about after an average test match!

Posted by pushanb on (March 17, 2010, 16:53 GMT)

The English propaganda has always been Goebles like. David Sheperd was made a famous umpire simply by propaganda, that overweight incompetent decider made one fatal mistake after another towards the latter part of his career. Swann should be banned for a number of test matches for his mindless behaviour. His upbringing and cultural background shows when he says he did it at the heat of the moment. What we show at difficult times is what we are, culture makes a difference at that point. This ungentleman named Swann lacks it and he should be taken to task. But it is very unlikely ICC will take any step because the colour of Swanns skin in pale

Posted by nafzak on (March 17, 2010, 16:52 GMT)

Double standards you think? I wonder if the ICC, referees and umpires would chalk it up to 'natural emotion or agression' if it was a cricketer who was a shade darker and from Asia or West Indies. Wait a minute... we know. Remember Suliman Benn - M. Johnson incident. Who got suspended.. wasn't the instigator, was it? And remember C. Broad while in SA. O, that wa all about emotion and natural agressiveness.

Posted by greatcricfan on (March 17, 2010, 16:48 GMT)

Not again!! All those who think Swann is "great" or even good should thank their luck. He has not bowled to Sehwag or Sachin lately. He will retire the next time Sehwag faces him. Let him bowl 5 overs to Sehwag in a test match. Then he will forget what Twitter is or even what his name was.

Posted by mhb1951 on (March 17, 2010, 16:35 GMT)

I am sorry to say that both Swan and Captain Cool have committed uncondonable offences and so also Mr Finn. The uncouth match referree should have come down heavily on them as they often do so with other teams. Such double standards should not be allowed to be gotten away with. ICC must come in and come down heavily on both theses players and the match referree for such shameful and disgraceful behaviour bringing bad name to Cricket. One shouldnt get away merely by saying -in the heat of the moment........ This is just not on.

Posted by protibaadi on (March 17, 2010, 15:52 GMT)

'Swann apologises for celebration outburst'- and that's the end of the story!!!Hah!! I tell you what would happen if a Bangla bowler would do that. Match Referee would summon, ICC will scrutinize, there will be 10 match suspension, match fee penalty....and so on. And there will be so many English reporters to teach you how to behave in a cricket field. Now, who did that? O, Swann. So, they are all praise for him. Because 'It all happened in the heat of the moment', he is so generous to understnad that all by himself, so no need to penalize. Learn Bangla learn. Here are the English to teach you.

Posted by vulpecula on (March 17, 2010, 15:44 GMT)

What's all this rubbish about Swann being the first off spinner since Laker to take 10 for in a test? Tony Grieg (agreed normally a medium-quick bowler) took 13 wickets bowling off spin against the West Indies in Port-of-Spain in 1973/74.

Posted by kamrul8766 on (March 17, 2010, 15:38 GMT)

Thats how the real face is unveiled..... behaviour under stress is what all matters, not in lounge suit with polished ettiquates! If the bahaviour of Swann was just out of emotion, then what was that attitude from Finn when Junaid scored a century? Audacity is bound to fail in the long run...this is not just about cricket!

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 15:14 GMT)

At the moment Graeme Swann is a personality amongst a quite banal side. He's not a bar emptier in the Flintoff-mould but he's the nearest thing this England side have got to a man-of-the-people that may connect with the public.

In a world full of batsmen friendly roads with short boundaries Swann is doing an exceptional job for the reputation of the ORTHODOX off-spinner. Other than West Indies (again more roads) and Bangladesh, Swann's tests have been played against the current or recent test number 1's. In our last four test victories he has bagged the final wicket. Averages 4.5 wickets per test - anyone who has been four or better iin the past has been deemed great.

Swann doesn't appear to have much challenge to his place as he adds to all three disciplines of the game. He's like Ashley Giles, contributing by being able to bat and field/catch well, but contributes more attacking abilities with the ball.

SWANNY YOU'RE A LEGEND TO US MEMBERS OF THE SPINNERS UNION!

Posted by KAZabbar on (March 17, 2010, 15:12 GMT)

Test cricket without sledging? Its like google without internet. If someone can't handle a little harsh talk, he should stay away from cricket. No disrespect to Swann, and behavior like these just shows how much a Bangladeshi wicket is worth to bowlers like Swann. Bangladeshi supporters should be happy about it, teams don't sledge against rubbish team, they do so against the good ones

Posted by malmanca on (March 17, 2010, 15:04 GMT)

Junaid should swear obscenities to Swann in the next match and then just apologise later......we'll see if the ICC handles that incident the same way.

Posted by Ellis on (March 17, 2010, 14:58 GMT)

Funny how performances like Swann's against Bangladesh make the English media drool, but, a century by Tendulkar, or ten wickets by Murali against the same team, are dismissed as performances against minnows! Swann is playing an old tactic. Misbehave in a calculated manner first, then make a faux apology later. Siddique deserved applause, not swearing. Cook's silence speaks volumes. When white boys swear, brown boys are supposed to surrender their wickets! Where are the umpires and match referee in all this? Double standards at play again.

Posted by chaithan on (March 17, 2010, 14:53 GMT)

im not complaining against swann. i accept his argument that it was natural and i think hes quite good-better than harbhajan. im not complaining against him im complaining against the bias,racism and double standards present in the cricket world.

Posted by gudolerhum on (March 17, 2010, 14:47 GMT)

@saheed - so anyone can take 10wkts against ban- how many have done? Why the stupid remark? I do not know where Billycc is based but his comments sounds as if he could be Brit. Putting down his man as usual. How does anyone gain favour? Take 7fer every 2nd inns? Get real, Swann is a competitor and has the determination and skill to do well, he may not be a "great" now but that breed is rare.

Posted by Mayan005 on (March 17, 2010, 14:16 GMT)

Best spinner in the game today. If somebody doesn't think so, please do explain. I would like to hear some proper reasons.

Posted by SteveColeman on (March 17, 2010, 13:20 GMT)

Dear dear, where to begin? For thsoe who belittle Swann, does the fact that he has taken regular wickets in India, flat decks in the West Indies, South Africa and now an absolute road in Bangladesh not count? Where exactly would you like him to take his wickets. He overstepped the line. He apologised. To then suggest that England and the ICC should learn something from India, a country who have constantly put up with the bad behaviour of Singh and Sreesanth is quite hilarious. At then end of the day, Swann is picking up as many wickets as anyone else in the world at the moment, has a refreshing attitude to batting, and has generally been a breath of fresh air for Test cricket. Rather than him being overrated because he is English, I would suggest that if a player with his attitude played for anyone other than England, he would be being lauded even more at the moment.

Posted by briankc on (March 17, 2010, 12:51 GMT)

Yes, lets discount Swann's figures against Bangladesh as they are a weak nation.While we are about it, lets discount everyone's stats against Bangladesh for the same reason - Lets see then how Murali's total wickets stack up against Warnes, to mention just one, shall we. Swann is a work in progress - considering how only 2 years ago everyone had written off off-spin as a wicket taking art form, he 'aint doing too bad

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 12:21 GMT)

@sparth: nice WUM, but he's played 11 of his 17 tests against India away, Australia at home and SA away, so that's that argument a bit blown out of the water ;)

@BillyCC: he does average the right side of 30 (29.55), which in batsmen orientated times is IMO pretty exceptional for a spinner, let alone an off-spinner, often (rightly?) perceived as less incisive than say a leggie or a SLA. Also, coming down on him because he doesn't take 7fers in the last innings is a bit harsh - nobody's claiming he's a Murali or Warne, and if he continues to take so many wickets in the first innings - arguably more important - I really don't mind!

Posted by Vindaliew on (March 17, 2010, 11:54 GMT)

It's very heartening to see Swann come out and apologise for his liberty taken during the game. I've always been a fan of him, and it would have been depressing to see him become another Symonds, Sreesanth or any of those individuals that believe competitiveness gives you license to lose your dignity and make a fool of yourself in public. Go on, Graeme, buy Siddique a drink or something after the second test.

For those of you belittling Bangladesh, this team is now at the stage where they are capable of pulling surprises - do not write them off or underestimate them. Someone is going to be the first team to lose to this group oon, it's a matter of time.

I can't believe Cook gave a glowing appraisal of Swann without mentioning his contribution with the bat (both in terms of actual runs as well as the morale effect). If it wasn't for Swann's work with the willow England's record would look very very different. I personally hope he continues playing for a long time to come.

Posted by akpy on (March 17, 2010, 11:24 GMT)

swann will be england's biggest weapon in the ashes...he thrives under pressure and tough situations and is very confident of his abilities..currently, the best spinner around and definitely much better than hauritz..

Posted by GS-S on (March 17, 2010, 11:21 GMT)

I find it amazing that it is 51 years since an English offspinner got a ten-fer. I figured that this must be a mistake. Surely someone like Fred Titmus or John Emburey got a ten-fer. No, neither did. Titmus' best match effort was a nine-fer, and Emburey's a seven-fer.

Well done, Graeme Swann.

Posted by butterhandsfingers on (March 17, 2010, 9:02 GMT)

Some people are a bit harsh on Swann, if you read the article rather than just raving about his disgraceful behaviour, he clearly apologises unreservedly for it and doesn't skirt the issue either. Way more honest than most cricketers. Sparth, in his first test against India (in his first series for England) he got Gambhir, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag, the first two in his first over in test cricket, and took the same number of wickets over the two test series as Harbhajan. That good enough for you? He may not be the greatest spinner of all time, but he's always trying something different, he's a huge threat in his first couple of overs, and brings more energy to the team than anyone else. We spent way too long carrying Panesar, hope Swann stays around for years!

Posted by stuartk319 on (March 17, 2010, 7:19 GMT)

This is a nice personal achievement from a useful player. Putting it in the same stratosphere as Jim Laker or even Tony Greig is just plain ridiculous. I don't want to seem disparaging, I just want to see Graeme Swann play more often against tougher opposition than this in order to gauge whether he is average, OK, or good.

Posted by ZIMMYZIMMY on (March 17, 2010, 5:14 GMT)

well done mr SWANN.......carry on with ur good works. Hope u will do the same on 2011 world cup to secure england....ZIMMY

Posted by   on (March 17, 2010, 2:59 GMT)

ban is a weak team anyone can take 10 wickets.

Posted by Woody111 on (March 17, 2010, 2:51 GMT)

I must admit I'm glad to hear Swann partly apologise for his send-off. When I read the commentary at the time it felt like another reason to dislike the guy. He is such a great bowler it would be a shame if he became another arrogant muppet who thought he was being remarkable at what at the end of the day is a sport.

Posted by Bengali-Tiger007 on (March 17, 2010, 0:50 GMT)

So what he swears at Siddique saying foul languages, so this isn't bad at all????? Even his Captain is proud of him for his foul agression and tells everyone that this is what test cricket is all about. I dont think so mate, your very lucky to get away with it because you guys played a third world country where justice doesn't occure with the ICC as they really dont care about what happened. But however, I still think those two umpires should have given swann and finn warnings and the ICC should fine swann and finn (thats if justice system does exist in this dissarray ICC, which I think the cricket governing board is not good at all). Although I'm not a fan of the IPL, the ICC should learn something from the Indians on how to controll and manage a cricketing system and recruite good umpires like the ones that I've heard of in the IPL.

Posted by sparth on (March 16, 2010, 23:30 GMT)

I hate how everyone bigs up swann so much. He's not that great a bowler, he's just played against bad ppl. If he plays against India's or SL's test team, he would never do so well

Posted by BillyCC on (March 16, 2010, 22:59 GMT)

I remain unconvinced that Graeme Swann is anything but a consistent off-spinner. And I believe that he may not be the best spinner in England, although he offers more to the team and hence is a more valuable selection. That record though of him taking a wicket in the first over of a spell is very impressive, but I'm sure that there are many other bowlers who possess great strike rates in the first over of their spells. Some attributes that count against Swann is that he does not win enough matches for England with the ball (he gets valuable contributions but never the seven/fors in a second innings), and a higher than desirable average of 30.

Posted by peterhrt on (March 16, 2010, 22:57 GMT)

Graeme Swann is not, as widely claimed, the first off-spinner since Laker to take ten wickets in a Test for England. Tony Greig opened the bowling against West Indies in Trinidad in 1974 before switching to off breaks and claiming 13 wickets as England squared the series. The following year he repeated the feat with 10-149 against New Zealand in Auckland, all with off spin.

Posted by jabulisile on (March 16, 2010, 22:39 GMT)

What's wrong with the English? Do they hate the Aussies so much that they want to be like them?

Posted by Rezaul on (March 16, 2010, 21:32 GMT)

Everybody has seen Swan's reaction after Junayed's wicket. It was no where near to gentleman's behavior. Imagine any Bangladeshi player did this gesture and reaction what would happen... hearing in match referee and punishment for breaking code of conduct. Might be they would call it level 2 offense as well. if any subcontinent player would have done this. Thats how the rule is applied...

Posted by John-Price on (March 16, 2010, 21:31 GMT)

It seems pretty clear from this article: http://wci016.cricket.net/magazine/content/story/388241.html that Tony Grieg's 13 wickets at Port of Spain in 1974 were all taken with off-spin. So that was the last time an off-spinner took 10 wickets or more.

Andrew MillerClose
Andrew Miller Andrew Miller was saved from a life of drudgery in the City when his car caught fire on the way to an interview. He took this as a sign and fled to Pakistan where he witnessed England's historic victory in the twilight at Karachi (or thought he did, at any rate - it was too dark to tell). He then joined Wisden Online in 2001, and soon graduated from put-upon photocopier to a writer with a penchant for comment and cricket on the subcontinent. In addition to Pakistan, he has covered England tours in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, as well as the World Cup in the Caribbean in 2007
Tour Results
Bangladesh v England at Dhaka - Mar 20-24, 2010
England won by 9 wickets
Bangladesh v England at Chittagong - Mar 12-16, 2010
England won by 181 runs
Bangladesh A v England XI at Chittagong - Mar 7-9, 2010
Match drawn
Bangladesh v England at Chittagong - Mar 5, 2010
England won by 45 runs
Bangladesh v England at Dhaka - Mar 2, 2010
England won by 2 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
More results »