Yorkshire captain Darren Gough is bowled by Andrew Flintoff as Lancashire dominated the opening day of the Roses match © Getty Images

Harbhajan Singh took 6 for 57 in Kent's second innings to bowl Surrey to a vital win at Canterbury. They knocked off their target of 107 to win by four wickets, which was closer than they would have liked but the result wasn't in doubt. Harbhajan returned match figures of 11 for 91. Surrey didn't have things all their own way, losing their last six wickets for 31 in the morning as James Tredwell finished their first innings off with 6 for 47. Kent began their second dart 65 in arrears and could only muster 171 to go with their first-innings 151. Tredwell was again the star, reaching exactly 50. But it wasn't enough as Surrey made it home.

A dramatic day at The Rose Bowl left Hampshire well placed for victory as Worcestershire crumbled for 86 in their first innings. Part of every innings was played as 22 wickets crashed after Hampshire began the morning on 350 for 5. They reached full batting points as Gareth Batty claimed six wickets, but the real drama was to follow. Daren Powell claimed 4 for 8 and James Bruce 4 for 31 as Worcestershire fell in less than 35 overs. Only three batsmen reached double figures, but despite having them in a dire position Shane Warne decided to bat again. He isn't a fan of the follow-on, but Hampshire's second innings stuttered to 103 for 8 - Michael Lumb hitting 57 - before Warne gave his bowlers a dart at Worcestershire's openers before the close and they survived four overs.

For a man who wasn't meant to be playing, Adam Shantry enjoyed a productive day as Warwickshire took huge strides towards victory against Sussex at Hove. Shantry was only in the side because of Nayan Doshi's failed registration, but ripped out Sussex's top order. He claimed the top order as the home side slumped to 16 for 4 and when Chris Adams was removed by James Anyon it was 34 for 5. Luke Wright saved some face with a battling 61, but Anyon and Naqaash Tahir wrapped up the innings for 168. Warwickshire opted not to enforce the follow-on and extended their lead to 342 by the close. Tim Ambrose (99) had lifted Warwickshire to full batting points before falling to Saqlain Mushtaq, who collected a five-wicket haul, one short of his century.

Lancashire took control against Yorkshire on the opening day at Headingley. Click here for John Ward's full report.

Cameron White drives on his way to 124 at Trent Bridge © Getty Images
Cameron White's 124, aided by fifties from Ian Blackwell and Peter Trego, helped Somerset to 452 and a first-innings lead of 102 over Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge. White added 106 for the sixth wicket with Blackwell and then 116 for the seventh with Trego. Graeme Swann came in for some heavy punishment but grabbed two late wickets to finish with 4 for 125.

On a day in which wickets tumbled across the country, the pitch inspector was spared a return to Southend. Despite 21 wickets falling on the second day, the track could not be held accountable as Essex lurched towards defeat at Gloucestershire's hands; it was the batsmen failing to apply themselves. Jon Lewis and Steve Kirby bagged five wickets each, taking advantage of the bounce, as they bowled unchanged to dismiss Essex for 88. They eschewed the follow-on to give the bowlers a breather, and the batsmen a chance to build the lead. Andy Bichel breathed life - and a touch of fire - into the home side's proceedings, with four wickets and a few words for the top order. But it was perhaps too late: Essex still need 169 with only six wickets in hand.

Glamorgan finally had a day to smile about against Northamptonshire at Colwyn Bay as Alex Wharf's century carried them to 465 and Ryan Watkins' four wickets left the visitors struggling to save the follow-on. Glamorgan's last three wickets added 171 to the overnight total, mainly through Wharf's sixth career century. He added 77 with Dean Cosker and 79 with Simon Jones (39), who struck two sixes in his 63-ball innings. However, Jones couldn't strike with the ball, instead it was the medium-pace of Watkins which did most of the damage. He removed the on-loan Ian Sutcliffe for 9 and added three more scalps leaving David Sales to fight a lone battle.

Sixteen wickets tumbled on the opening day at Grace Road as Leicestershire took command by reducing Derbyshire to 68 for 6. Stuart Broad responded to being left out of the Test side with two early wickets, to follow a vital 40 with the bat, and David Masters claimed three as Derbyshire's top three all collected ducks. Tom Lungley had begun the day with two early blows as Leicestershire slipped to 4 for 2 then 36 for 3. Jim Allenby rescued the innings with 83 off 132 and the total was further boosted by Broad and Jerome Taylor, whose 40 came off 39 balls.