West Indies Cricketers Off To Bangladesh (24 October 1998)
24 October 1998
West Indies Cricketers Off To Bangladesh
The Barbados Nation
West Indies cricketers were preparing to leave the Caribbean late yesterday to contest the International Crickets Council (ICC) international limited overs tournament starting in Bangladesh today.
The West Indies will meet Pakistan on Thursday, and after the International Cricket Council tournament, they will move on to their three-month South Africa tour.
For the ICC tournament, the West Indies will be without top pacer Curtly Ambrose, who made a late withdrawal from the team Wednesday. Ambrose is staying back in Antigua to oversee repairs to his house, damaged by Hurricane Georges last month.
He has been replaced in the Brian Lara-led team by the pacy young Guyana fast bowler Reon King.
Obviously, missing someone of Curtlys calibre, will play a major factor in the team, team coach Malcolm Marshall said.
Obviously all the guys would like him to be there, but you can also look at giving Reon King the opportunity to prove his worth as well, Marshall added.
Reggie Scarlett, director of Coaching with the West Indies Cricket Board, believes the players are physically ready for their lengthy road trip.
We've introduced our new fitness and conditioning programme, and every player who was looked at has improved immensely. So if that is the yardstick were going to use, were ready, were ready for it.
I believe were going to give a good account of ourselves. The players are more focused, I believe, and I expect great things from them, Scarlett said.
The West Indies will play Pakistan on Thursday for a spot in the semifinals. The final is set for November 1.
Afterwards, the Windies will move on to South Africa for their series of five Tests and seven One-Day Internationals.
Source :: The Barbados Nation (http://www.nationnews.com/)