Rain affected all the three games, ensuring that two were decided by the Duckworth-Lewis method while the third was washed out. Canterbury handed Auckland their first loss of the tournament as the hosts ended just six runs short of the par score when rain forced an early finish at Colin Maiden Park.

Gareth Hopkins and Colin Munro had brought Auckland's chase back on track after they had been reduced to 49 for 4. After a brisk 82-run stand, though, Munro was stumped off Rob Nicol for 53 with the score on 131 in the 26th over. Not only did his dismissal increase the par score, it also tied Auckland down, with only seven coming off the next 16 deliveries before the rain came down. Auckland ended on 138 for 5 with the par score being 144 at that stage.

Brendon Diamanti had earlier smashed an unbeaten 102 from 79 balls to lift Canterbury to 238 for 9 after they lost regular wickets throughout their innings. Diamanti hammered seven sixes and four fours while the expensive Michael Bates finished with four wickets.

Northern Districts won their first game of the tournament, beating Wellington by 27 runs at the Basin Reserve. James Marshall anchored the Northern Districts' innings with his unbeaten 110 and added 103 for the second wicket with his twin brother Hamish Marshall (64). Scott Styris added an aggressive fifty as well before Corey Anderson took the game away from Wellington with a late assault. Coming in at the fall of the fifth wicket at 222 in the 42nd over, Anderson clubbed six sixes and four fours in surging to an unbeaten 74 off only 31 balls. Northern Districts ended on a stiff 327 despite the efforts of Andy McKay and Luke Woodcock who took five wickets between them at four an over. Michael Papps got Wellington going with a fifty but they lost too many wickets at the other end. They were 221 for 6 after 38 overs, 27 short of the par score, when rain ended the game.

The match between Central Districts and Otago in Nelson was abandoned without a ball being bowled.