Odisha Cricket Association (OCA) secretary Asirbad Behara has said the state association will need to be more vigilant in the future to prevent incidents like the bottle throwing that disrupted the second T20 international between India and South Africa in Cuttack.

Behara said spectators had been allowed to carry water bottles into the stadium to cope with the heat but that such allowances might have to be removed. Bottles, and other objects that can be used as projectiles, are not allowed inside most stadiums in India.

"We decided to let spectators carry water bottles so that they can cope better with the sweltering heat and not have to climb down three storeys every time they had to drink water," Behara told ESPNcricinfo. "But some of them decided to misuse the bottles. No way will we think of providing comfort to the spectators in future.

"The episode also tells up to be extra-vigilant in future to avoid any such instances. We will take all the precautionary measures possible."

A BCCI official confirmed the board was still taking stock of the situation, and Behara said the OCA had not yet been asked for an explanation. "From what I understand, based on the match referee's report, the ICC may write in to BCCI and the BCCI will then ask OCA for an explanation," he said. "We will explain our side to the authorities.

"All of us know cricket fans are crazy and tempers had been flared after India's innings but still something like this is unfortunate and unacceptable. We must also realise that in a crowd of around 50,000, it was barely 100 or 150 spectators who kept throwing bottles, so it may be a ploy to defame Barabati. Over the last three decades, this is the first time some such incident has happened in Cuttack."

The first bottle-throwing incident was in the break between innings - India were bowled out for 92, their lowest T20I total at home - and did not interrupt play. The second came after 11 overs of South Africa's chase and stopped play for 27 minutes. The players remained in the middle through the delay and play resumed at 10pm, with security personnel lining the boundaries. However, a third wave of bottle-throwing two overs later forced them off. Play resumed after a 24-minute hold-up once the police had cleared the section of the crowd causing the disruption. South Africa required another 4.1 overs, which passed without further incident, to complete the chase and seal the series 2-0.

India captain MS Dhoni downplayed the incident, but South Africa captain Faf du Plessis said it was disappointing and expressed his desire to not see a repeat during the rest of the tour.

Amol Karhadkar is a correspondent at ESPNcricinfo