Glamorgan 277 for 7 (Rudolph 121) beat Gloucestershire 232 for 8 (Klinger 78, van Buuren 51, Taylor 51, Ingram 3-39) by 18 runs (DLS method)

Captain Jacques Rudolph passed 10,000 List A runs with a masterly 121 as Glamorgan began their Royal London One-Day Cup campaign with an 18-run South Group win over Gloucestershire under Duckworth-Lewis-Stern at Bristol.

It was Rudolph's 18th List A century and led his side to 277 for 7 after they had been invited to bat first. Colin Ingram contributed 45 to a third-wicket stand of 89. In reply Gloucestershire slumped to 32 for 3. Chasing a target of 251 from 44 overs, twice revised because of rain, the home side fell short, despite 78 from Michael Klinger, 51 from Graeme van Buuren and a quickfire 51 from Jack Taylor.

Ingram removed both batsmen lbw in the same over after the second rain break with his gentle looking legspin and after a partnership of 114 for the fourth-wicket, the hosts were unable to summon up enough late-order runs.

A week short of his 36th birthday, Rudolph made his runs off 143 balls, with 10 fours and two sixes, before being yorked by Chris Liddle in the penultimate over, by which time the total was 261 for 7. The left-handed opener was unruffled throughout, gradually building momentum and ensuring his side of a competitive score.

David Lloyd shared in a first-wicket stand of 56, laying a decent foundation. Ingram then gave Rudolph valuable support and was just starting to cut loose when becoming the second Glamorgan batsman to be carelessly run out.

Gloucestershire's bowlers found it tough on a dry pitch that looked prime to bat on. Liam Norwell was the most economical, conceding 39 from his ten overs. Marchant de Lange added a valuable 15 off just four balls to end the Glamorgan innings with a bang and then took the early wickets of Phil Mustard and Chris Dent to put the home side firmly on the back foot.

Like Dent, Ian Cockbain went for a duck. Klinger and van Buuren were forced to exercise caution, but gradually grew in confidence. Klinger, making his first appearance of the season, was first to his half-century off 57 balls, with seven fours, while his partner followed to the same landmark, having faced 65 deliveries, also hitting seven boundaries.

Two short breaks for rain interrupted their concentration and saw the target change. Then Ingram's double strike, removing Klinger pushing forward and van Buuren sweeping, swung the game firmly back Glamorgan's way.

Jack Taylor kept things interesting with some typically powerful hitting, striking two sixes in a Michael Hogan over. But 57 were needed from the last five overs and the wily Ingram was proving hard to get away.

Taylor collected a third six off Hogan, but 40 were required off three and 32 off two. Taylor went to a 34-ball half-century including three fours and three sixes, but it wasn't enough and he fell to the last ball of the penultimate over, run out by wicketkeeper Chris Cooke attempting a bye to keep the strike after a play and miss.