Newsfile: County pre-season tours affected by COVID-19 pandemic
Several clubs have cancelled their overseas trips though Northants remain in Singapore
Landed in Zimbabwe last Monday, March 9. Were scheduled to return to the UK on March 29, but club announced on Saturday - after winning the first game of the tour - that they would head home on Monday (March 16). A club statement said: "While no member of the touring group has shown any symptoms related to COVID-19, the health and safety of our players and staff remains of paramount importance and therefore the decision has been made to bring the group home at the earliest available opportunity."
Landed in Zimbabwe on Thursday, March 12. Initially scheduled to return to the UK on March 29 but confirmed on Sunday that they would be returning to the UK early. "It is regrettable that the county teams have been forced to cut short their Zimbabwe tour as a precautionary move," said ZC's acting managing director Givemore Makoni, "but it is totally understandable as the clubs are concerned, like all of us would be, about the worsening COVID-19 situation back in their country and elsewhere in the world."
Flew out to Abu Dhabi on Monday, and will return home at weekend rather than the planned date of March 21. Chief exectuive Derek Bowden said: "We have been monitoring the COVID-19 situation for a while, and although the area we're based in is currently one of the least affected regions, the health and wellbeing of our players and staff is our highest priority, as is the season ahead.
Pre-season tour to La Manga in Spain cancelled. Mark Wallace, director of cricket, said: 'While cancelling the tour is not ideal, the health of our players and staff is paramount to the club.
Pre-season tour to La Manga cancelled. Chief executive Will Brown said: "The welfare of our employees and players is paramount to all at Gloucestershire Cricket. As such we think it is not advisable for our tour to go ahead to La Manga at this time.
Bowling group flew to La Manga on Wednesday. Rest of squad were due to join on Friday but have not travelled, and those in Spain will return today. "The health and wellbeing of our players and staff is our primary concern and after monitoring the situation related to COVID-19 closely, we have taken the decision to return from La Manga as a precautionary measure," said director of cricket Giles White.
Travelled to Potchefstroom, South Africa for a training camp earlier in the week, will return early this weekend. "This is the right decision for our players and support staff as the club exercises its duty of care over its staff," said a statement.
Scheduled trips to Dubai and South Africa cancelled. Head coach Glenn Chapple said: "South Africa isn't one of the most affected areas, but [considering] the challenges faced by teams travelling together and being in hotels together, we have decided it would be better to stay at home and give everyone the best chance to stay fit and be ready to play.
Originally scheduled to travel to Desert Springs in Spain on March 17 for a five-day training camp. The club issued a statement on Monday saying that the trip had been cancelled. Paul Nixon, Leicestershire's head coach, said: "The welfare of the players, coaches, staff and their families is absolute paramount in this situation. Based upon this, we do not think it would be wise for the squad to travel to Spain for their tour.
Returned on Monday from a trip to Oman, having been scheduled to stay until March 19. A club statement said: "The players have returned early from their pre-season tour in Oman - returning to the UK this morning, several days earlier than planned. Whilst all medical advice we received was that remaining in Oman posed no additional threat to the club's players or staff, we felt that the speed with which the situation is changing across the globe - often hourly, that the welfare of the players and staff in Oman would be better served by them returning early to the UK. They landed this morning at Heathrow and will spend some time with their families before returning to their pre-season training preparations at Merchant Taylors' School."
Having flown to Singapore on March 9, Northants spent a week in the country before deciding to return home early due to concern about the situatuon in the UK. Chief executive, Ray Payne, said: "It's important to understand that this isn't a case of us wanting to get the first available flight out of Singapore. It's about the worsening situation at home and people being concerned about their families and wanting to be with them. It's a very safe environment here but it's understandable, there's a lot of players with young families in our squad and right now that's what's most important."
Club announced cancellation of friendly against Northants, replacing it with a fixture against Lancashire. Were never scheduled to go overseas for pre-season.
Tour to Abu Dhabi cancelled. Director of cricket Andy Hurry said: "Obviously, the health and wellbeing of our players, support staff and their families are of the highest importance.
Tour to Dubai cancelled. Director of cricket Alec Stewart said: "While it's disappointing we won't be able to return to Dubai this year, the health of our players and staff is paramount. The directive from Dubai Sports Council advising all venues to cancel or reschedule all international activities until the end of the month as a precautionary measure related to the spread of the COVID-19 means the ICC Academy are unable to host our training camp.
What a a setting...— Sussex Cricket (@SussexCCC) March 13, 2020
The squad are busy training in Cape Town as their pre-season camp continuespic.twitter.com/6IPfrN6YIL
Flew to South Africa on Monday, March 9 for two-week tour. Initially scheduled to return on March 21 but confirmed on March 16 that they would return to UK on next available flight. The club's AGM has been postponed.
Bowling group flew to La Manga last Friday, rest of squad followed on Tuesday. Squad will return to Birmingham on Saturday. Paul Farbrace, the club's sport director, said: "We have been closely monitoring the Coronavirus situation in Spain and have been working closely with our tour partners Sporta Group to get the latest local information.
Tour to Abu Dhabi cancelled. A club statement said: "Contingency plans at WCCC have been worked on since mid-February 2020 and we hope to be in a position to update members when these plans are concluded shortly."
Arrived in Mumbai on Thursday, shortly before India confirmed suspension of foreign visas. Were due to return on March 23, but announced on Friday after that squad will come back to UK "at the earliest possible opportunity".