Matches (16)
IPL (2)
BAN v SL (1)
Charlotte Edwards (4)
ZIM v NAM (1)
Uganda Women in Nepal (1)
County DIV1 (4)
County DIV2 (3)
News

CSA's SJN follow-up: Mark Boucher charged with 'gross misconduct'

South Africa's head coach to face a disciplinary hearing chaired by senior counsel advocate Terry Motau; he will remain in his role as coach in the interim

Mark Boucher's current contract runs until the originally scheduled end of the 2023 World Cup

Mark Boucher will stay in his role as South Africa head coach while the disciplinary hearing plays out  •  Getty Images

In a follow-up to the Social Justice and Nation-Building (SJN) report, Mark Boucher has been charged with gross misconduct by Cricket South Africa, and will face a disciplinary hearing chaired by senior counsel advocate Terry Motau. Boucher remains in his role as head coach of the senior men's team, and will be with the team as they take on India in the second ODI in Paarl on Friday.
On Thursday, CSA named Motau as chairperson of the disciplinary hearing into the allegations of misconduct against Boucher, and said in a statement that the coach had been presented with his charge sheet.
The statement said: "It is proposed that the parties [Boucher] will meet with Advocate [Motau] on 26th January 2022 to determine a timetable for the proceedings.
"This follows December's Social Justice and Nation-Building (SJN) report, which made tentative findings regarding allegations of discrimination and racism against various persons, including Mr Boucher. Specifically, during the SJN process, allegations of racism were levelled against Mr Boucher by his former Proteas team-mate, Paul Adams.
"CSA confirms that a charge sheet, containing both the disciplinary charges against Mr Boucher, as well as his rights, was provided to him on 17 January. The upcoming inquiry will also consider concerns and allegations that arose following the resignation of former assistant coach, Enoch Nkwe.
"While Mr Boucher is being charged with gross misconduct, which could lead to his dismissal, CSA emphasises it is important that the independent inquiry first needs to test all allegations before any question of sanction can arise."
Responding to the development, Boucher issued a statement of his own later in the day, saying: "I look forward to dealing with and defending these allegations which have been made and will do so at the hearing in due course. For now I am solely focused on my duties as head coach of the Proteas."*
The SJN report, which was released in December, made "tentative" findings that Boucher, among others, had engaged in prejudicial and discriminatory conduct in the past on the basis of race. But ombudsman Dumisa Ntsebeza was unable to make definite findings, and recommended to CSA that a further process be undertaken for this. This secondary process is now what CSA is flagging off, with Motau at the helm.
The CSA statement said further steps in this regard will be announced "in due course". "Further steps and action by CSA to transform cricket and act on other applicable recommendations in the SJN report, aligned to the Board's new strategic framework and pillars of access, inclusion and excellence, will be announced in due course."
*2.45pm GMT, February 20: The article was updated with Boucher's statement.