WICB sticks to rule (26 August 1999)
players wanting to represent the West Indies must play in regional competitions, the West Indies Cricket Board says
26-Aug-1999
26 August 1999
WICB sticks to rule
The Barbados Nation
players wanting to represent the West Indies must play in
regional competitions, the West Indies Cricket Board says.
Speaking on 900 AM on Tuesday night, West Indies Cricket Board
(WICB) president Pat Rousseau said the Board had not varied its
eligibility rule which had been in position for many years.
There has been much outcry about the rule which states that
players must be available for regional tournaments to be
selected for the West Indies.
Barbadians Ottis Gibson and Vasbert Drakes were the centre of
attention, having both been playing first-class cricket in South
Africa. Drakes recently expressed an interest in returning home
with the aim of making the West Indies team, but family sources
told Nationsport that Gibson was unlikely to make himself
available.
"If our people are going after a payment of money and somebody
could pay them more, soon we would not have a competition to
choose players from," Rousseau said.
"The board at its last meeting reaffirmed a policy and there has
been a circulation to the (West Indies) Players Association all
over again. The plan is to advertise it as widely as possible
that you have to play in our tournament."
After a meeting earlier this year, the board had mandated its
secretariat to redraft the rules to make them clearer, prompting
speculation that it was willing to consider changes.
Rousseau added that the WICB was looking at reintroducing
retainer contracts aimed at keeping players under the microscope
at home.
"... it is desirable and we are looking at them and ways to
finance them, but we don't have unlimited resources," the
Jamaican businessman said.
"But equally important, the (eligibility) rule was in place for
many, many years when there was no prospects of retainers. We
are making an attempt at retainers and right now we are looking
at revising and looking at putting something in place for the
next season."
Rousseau also gave details of the 2007 World Cup which is to be
hosted by the West Indies. He referred to it as the "biggest
sporting event in the Caribbean" and will surely be the largest
sporting event or event of any kind ever to be staged in the
Caribbean.
"We are just starting to put it together. It is a massive
undertaking, and already we are in touch with Caribbean Tourism
Organisation and governments," Rousseau said.
Calling it a massive exercise, he added that the board envisions
between 150 000 and 170 000 visitors coming for the event which
should provide good financial opportunities for the WICB.
Source :: The Barbados Nation (https://www.nationnews.com/)