Nadir Shah banned for ten years on corruption allegations
Nadir Shah, the Bangladesh umpire, has been handed a ten-year ban by the BCB on charges of corruption alleged by a TV sting operation in 2012
Nadir Shah, the Bangladesh umpire, has been handed a ten-year ban by the BCB on charges of corruption alleged by a TV sting operation in 2012. The decision followed an investigation carried out by the Bangladesh board. Sharfuddoula Saikat, the other umpire who was contacted by reporters posing as agents, was cleared to continue umpiring. Saikat had informed the BCB's umpires committee at the time of contact with whom he perceived to be agents, but his case had also been kept pending since October last year.
"Nadir Shah will not be considered for a BCB retainership for 10 years," the BCB said in a statement. "During this period he will not be eligible for any assignment under the jurisdiction of the BCB." He has the right to appeal to the BCB once he is formally informed of the decision.
The sting, broadcast by India TV, claimed to have "exposed" several first-class umpires from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan who were allegedly willing to give decisions favouring players for a fee. In the sting, conducted in July and August 2012, the reporters claimed to belong to a sports management company and promised the umpires officiating assignments in events of all kinds around the world, largely domestic Twenty20 leagues.
All three national boards announced investigations following the broadcast. The BCB conducted a detailed investigation into the matter, with two committees being formed by subsequent board of directors. A BCB statement said the ICC supported it in the investigation process. The PCB is scheduled to receive the report of its inquiry committee later on Monday, while in Sri Lanka the investigation has not been carried out as yet.
ICC chief executive Dave Richardson said the decision reflected the commitment of the ICC and its members to root out corruption from cricket. "This decision also reiterates cricket's zero-tolerance approach towards corruption and should serve as a reminder to all stakeholders, be they umpires, players, curators or administrators of the risks and challenges the sport faces."
Shah, who officiated in 40 ODIs and three Twenty20 internationals, was the only umpire shown in the sting to have met the undercover reporters in person; the others operated through internet-based video chats. He had said at the time that he went along with the undercover reporters' plan because he had felt "threatened" by the people, whom he met at a Delhi hotel. He maintained that stand in public though he did admit his mistake to the investigation committee.
Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent