At Christchurch, January 20-23, 2017. New Zealand won by nine wickets. Toss: New Zealand. Test debuts: Nazmul Hossain, Nurul Hasan.
During a washed-out third day, the covers leaked on a good length at the Port Hills end, and it needed a pair of industrial-strength blow-dryers - nicknamed the Sir Alex Fergusons - to make the surface fit. There was no need to rush: New Zealand began the fourth day on 260 for seven in reply to Bangladesh's 289, and secured victory just after 7pm.

On the second evening, New Zealand had wobbled, as Shakib Al Hasan took three wickets in two overs. That threatened to undermine the century partnership put together by Taylor - who became the third New Zealander to 6,000 Test runs, after Stephen Fleming and Brendon McCullum - and Latham. But Nicholls remained until the close, and hit a Test-best 98 to help carve out a lead of 65. It proved the game's most important contribution. The innings ended in bizarre fashion. Wagner had touched his bat behind the crease before leaping into another stride as keeper Nurul Hasan flicked the ball towards the stumps. At the moment the bails were dislodged, neither of Wagner's feet - nor his bat - was grounded, and he was run out. Coach Mike Hesson later called for Law 29 to be tinkered with.

The bowlers, meanwhile, channelled any sense of injustice into dissecting Bangladesh, as Boult, Southee and Wagner himself took three each. When Shakib guided to deep gully, Southee became the second fastest New Zealander to 200 Test scalps, in his 56th game, behind only Richard Hadlee (44). Fleeting resistance came from ninth-wicket pair Kamrul Islam and Taskin Ahmed, prompting a chorus of "Go Tigers, Go!" But the Bangladeshi line-up, deprived of Imrul Kayes, Mominul Haque and Mushfiqur Rahim, was cruelly exposed. New Zealand promoted de Grandhomme to No. 3, and he finished it with two sixes.

For the 22nd consecutive Test in New Zealand, going back to January 2011, the side winning the toss had bowled. Stand-in captain Tamim Iqbal fell early, before Soumya Sarkar hit a streaky maiden half-century, and put on 127 with Shakib for the third wicket at nearly five an over. But Sarkar's luck ran out on 86, and Boult and Southee took nine between them as Bangladesh subsided for 289. One of Southee's five included Shakib, held by Watling down the leg side, which took them one clear of Hadlee and Ian Smith as New Zealand's most prolific bowler-keeper combination, with 44. Their next victim was Rubel Hossain, the last Bangladeshi wicket to fall on tour. After their 595 for eight at Wellington, Bangladesh had lost 30 for 622.
Man of the Match: T. G. Southee.